Heart Break Hill

larryjc

Featured Posts

The Sun Inn at Scholar Green is also a decent Marston's house.

Seconded without reservation - very very good pub with an interesting range of guest beers and good food

On Tuesday we set off from Church Minshull, went down through Middlewich BIg Lock, served some customers, winded & them up to Red Bull for the night. I called in to the Blue Bell & had wonderful well earned pint of Townhouse Meridian Mild.

Brian nb Alton

Still doing those short days I see:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

The only problem coming up Heart break hill is the T&M lock filling that pulls the boat forward and catches you out if not ready :(

I have rarely found a lock anywhere that doesn't do that. We plant the bow fender on the gate end and apply a little forward if necessary.

Life is easier with a 70 foot boat though

Richard

I have rarely found a lock anywhere that doesn't do that. We plant the bow fender on the gate end and apply a little forward if necessary.

Life is easier with a 70 foot boat though

Richard

Anything built by Brindley seems to have that potential. Even so, Maureen's Lock at Middlewich and 65 & 66 at Wheelock are particularly prone to violence. All three used to have warning notices attached and Maureen's has had its paddles modified.

Ah ha! I thought you might have been the guy with the beard

Nice to meet you! And its nice to know you're a 'good' one as well B)

It wasn't until you left the lock I realised who you were! I should've paid more attention, but was more concerned with getting the jammed paddle up.

I liked Apache almost as much as Cobbett. I think we may also share some near neighbour boat builders and painters in common too!

Still doing those short days I see:-)

There hasn't been enough hours in the day this last month. This cold snap is certainly keeping us busy, we've been working from 6am to 9pm most days. If you see us asleep in the corner of the Navvy on Sunday night, please keep the noise down!

Cheers, Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Well to round this thread off we did the trip and are now in Lyme View marina where I seem to have three weeks of sanding, painting and fiddling ahead of me. The locks were absolutely fine and even though the weather wasn't that good we really enjoyed it all. Bosley was interesting as, as we arrived we were told it was being closed for a repair to lock 7. The CRT guy then said we could go up and they would close it behind us, as we reached lock 7 the engineer said it didn't need to be closed, so we then met a guy coming down from No 1 who had already locked it off but promised to let us out. We never saw him go back past us so I stopped at No 2 and walked all the way back down only to be told that he had managed to get a lift to the top and was waiting for us. No problem really the CRT guys were all cheerful and helpful if not just a little clueless!!

Can't wait for the trees to come out and the weather to improve............................

The romping donkey has applied for planning permission at last!

It might be open again by next boating season.

I notice that C&RT wasted a stamp to say they had no objection to the plans.

http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/applicationdetails.aspx?pr=12%2F4783C&query=5b1ffbc5264e401694b9383fbcb26230&from=p

I have to ask surely if you are going down you are at the tunnel end. Why not go up the Macc.

Would it not be easier to catch a bus?

Next week, as soon as the boat is back on the water I have to do a dirty dash to get as close to the family as possible in Cheadle, to baby sit while grandchild number 2 arrives. The boat is in Aqueduct marina and we need to get to Poynton on the Macclesfield as quickly as we can. This means going down the T&M and Heart Break hill. I'm sure many forumites will have done it but SWMBO and I are canal virgins so any advice would be greatly appreciated. For example, the timing looks like we could easily end up in the middle of it by end of day one - is there any problem with mooring up between locks for the night? Also how long to transit the whole flight?

Now 9 miles from family and have the car with us - seemples.

I have to ask surely if you are going down you are at the tunnel end. Why not go up the Macc.

Would it not be easier to catch a bus?