Heart Break Hill

larryjc

Featured Posts

Next week, as soon as the boat is back on the water I have to do a dirty dash to get as close to the family as possible in Cheadle, to baby sit while grandchild number 2 arrives. The boat is in Aqueduct marina and we need to get to Poynton on the Macclesfield as quickly as we can. This means going down the T&M and Heart Break hill. I'm sure many forumites will have done it but SWMBO and I are canal virgins so any advice would be greatly appreciated. For example, the timing looks like we could easily end up in the middle of it by end of day one - is there any problem with mooring up between locks for the night? Also how long to transit the whole flight?

I think i've just come down 'heartbreak hill' over the last couple of days, I left the tunnel at about 1:30 yesterday, moored at Rode Heath last night, then carried on down to Wheellock this morning, if this is heartbreak hill, its not too bad really, a few groups of locks rather than a straight line like cain hill.

Quite a few of the locks are duplicated, ie you have a choice, i just took the fullest ones, it worked well for me, it was very windy this morning and that was a bit of a bugger on the more exposed sections.

Biggest problem was the lock gear ittself some of the bottom paddles were quite stiff, and we needed an extra long windlass on one.

Other than that i really enjoyed it, great lock structures and plenty of interesting bits and bobs to wonder over :P

Good luck, for us it was not as bad as the name suggested.

Paul

It is known as heartbreak hill because the locks are not evenly spaced and it can be difficult to get into a routine. It is possible to do it in one day but a more leisurely two days is better. A good place to stop overnight is either near the Romping Donkey or near the Braunston Arms (good pub food).

Its correctly known as Cheshire locks and the name of heart break hill was invented by the fool John Gagg, who thought it was a better name as he found them hard work because he was a fool, and didn't take advice :( Because he published it in books the name has stuck, its a modern bad name for a really nice to use flight of lock,

Anderton to Wheelock, Wheelock to Emmies, Emmies to Poyton, easy done it single handed many times.

Emmies was the landlady at the Bird in Hand at Scholar Green - a very sad loss :( one now walks down to the Bleeding Wolf on the main road.

• Greenie 2

I think i've just come down 'heartbreak hill' over the last couple of days, I left the tunnel at about 1:30 yesterday, moored at Rode Heath last night, then carried on down to Wheellock this morning, if this is heartbreak hill, its not too bad really, a few groups of locks rather than a straight line like cain hill.

Quite a few of the locks are duplicated, ie you have a choice, i just took the fullest ones, it worked well for me, it was very windy this morning and that was a bit of a bugger on the more exposed sections.

Biggest problem was the lock gear ittself some of the bottom paddles were quite stiff, and we needed an extra long windlass on one.

Other than that i really enjoyed it, great lock structures and plenty of interesting bits and bobs to wonder over :P

Good luck, for us it was not as bad as the name suggested.

Paul

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that there is a really good pub between the T&M and the Macc, just where the Macc branches off but well hidden.

Proper job, no food just lots of beer.

I will have to drink your share of the beer when we are up later this year (to get myself "ready for hearbreak hill").

Currently snowing in Hungerford so dread to think what is like up there.

................Dave

Next week, as soon as the boat is back on the water I have to do a dirty dash to get as close to the family as possible in Cheadle, to baby sit while grandchild number 2 arrives. The boat is in Aqueduct marina and we need to get to Poynton on the Macclesfield as quickly as we can. This means going down the T&M and Heart Break hill. I'm sure many forumites will have done it but SWMBO and I are canal virgins so any advice would be greatly appreciated. For example, the timing looks like we could easily end up in the middle of it by end of day one - is there any problem with mooring up between locks for the night? Also how long to transit the whole flight?

Heartbreak Hill is much misnamed. There are numerous worse flights.

With two on the boat, not particularly experienced, Middlewich to Wheelock should be about three hours and Wheelock to Red Bull, or a little way onto the Macc will be about 6-8 hours. Descending traffic comes in clumps as Northbound groups of boats emerge from Harecastle. There are places one can moor as well as the ones I've named- Church Lawton, Thurlwood come to mind, but above Wheelock none of the pounds are that long and there are some places like Hassal Green (for the Romping Donkey if its still there) which can be very noisy because you are near the M6.

Key steps are to devise a routine which minimises hanging about waiting for locks to empty. The forebays on most locks are a decent length so one of you can stop in that with a centrrope off just in case and close the top gates/tidy up whilst the other walks on once the paddles are up, to empty if needed. Be aware that there are one or two paired locks which are not both useable (usually the outside one is u/s) and some of these have a really short pound below so moving from lower right hand lock to upper left hand lock is difficult.

Nice trip, decent cut, scenic countryside (standfast the M6); go steady but keep going and you'll be surprised how soon you get to Poynton.

Whilst in Poynton, if you can make the time, the Anson Museum is a must for anyone with any interest in old engines, particularly Gardners.

N

Its correctly known as Cheshire locks and the name of heart break hill was invented by the fool John Gagg, who thought it was a better name as he found them hard work because he was a fool, and didn't take advice :( Because he published it in books the name has stuck, its a modern bad name for a really nice to use flight of lock,

Anderton to Wheelock, Wheelock to Emmies, Emmies to Poyton, easy done it single handed many times.

Emmies was the landlady at the Bird in Hand at Scholar Green - a very sad loss :( one now walks down to the Bleeding Wolf on the main road.

I have a feeling the heartbreak hill moniker was coined before John Gagg used it, but it's certainly 'modern' and not terribly appropriate.

Tim

................Dave

Bright sun but a cold wind.

Its been a great trip, the last couple of days frome stone to wheellock have been the best by far, new to me, interesting and at some points challenging, great stuff indeed.

I'd imagine in the height of summer, surrounded by far more boats than now, heartbreak hill could be a bit of a long drag i suppose.

Bright sun but a cold wind.

Its been a great trip, the last couple of days frome stone to wheellock have been the best by far, new to me, interesting and at some points challenging, great stuff indeed.

I'd imagine in the height of summer, surrounded by far more boats than now, heartbreak hill could be a bit of a long drag i suppose.

Because of the doubling up of a lot of locks, it tends to be quicker when it's busy - there's usually one set for you with a boat just coming out of it! Much misnamed, really. It's a comfortable run from Stoke up to Wheelock and from there to Middlewich, even for a singlehanding old fart like me.

We did Wheelock to Milton on the Caldon in one day. I really enjoyed the run up to the tunnel.

I would forget the Heartbreak Hill thing. Parts of Hatton are much more challenging

Richard

I loved it yesterday. Met Gser by accident and did a section of the system I've only dreamt about before driving up the M6 to Manchester to see Ellen. Lots of friendly people; we teamed up loosely with two other boats and made it to Harecastle with ease. I reckon it was 6 hours from Wheelock to Harecastle.

There's plenty of places to stop between locks and it's heartbreakingly beautiful in places. The bottom paddles on the locks were stiff and I did think I'd finally managed to jam a lockgear at Red Bull Wharf but it moved eventually as the pressure eased. I'd enjoy doing it again.

The only problem coming up Heart break hill is the T&M lock filling that pulls the boat forward and catches you out if not ready :( other than that a pleasant days locking.

As Richard says Hatton is more of a heart break hill to my mind :mellow:

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that there is a really good pub between the T&M and the Macc, just where the Macc branches off but well hidden.

Proper job, no food just lots of beer.

I will have to drink your share of the beer when we are up later this year (to get myself "ready for hearbreak hill").

................Dave

sounds like the Blue Bell

sounds like the Blue Bell

Yes, thats the one.

I know most pubs are having a really hard time of late, but there are still a few free houses selling a range of good beers at reasonable prices, not doing food, and appearing to be doing ok!

Hopefully popping in for a drink some time in July!

Just had some very nice beer in the newly re-opened John'o Gaunt in Hungerford, posh and expensive, but selling proper beer!

............Dave

Yes, thats the one.

I know most pubs are having a really hard time of late, but there are still a few free houses selling a range of good beers at reasonable prices, not doing food, and appearing to be doing ok!

Hopefully popping in for a drink some time in July!

Just had some very nice beer in the newly re-opened John'o Gaunt in Hungerford, posh and expensive, but selling proper beer!

............Dave

Yes, the Bluebell is a cracking pub, met Chop in there last year for a memorable session ;-). On Tuesday we set off from Church Minshull, went down through Middlewich BIg Lock, served some customers, winded & them up to Red Bull for the night. I called in to the Blue Bell & had wonderful well earned pint of Townhouse Meridian Mild. The pub was busy, with a folk music session in the front room & most seats taken. It does show how a properly run pub with good ales can thrive in Hesse times.

Cheers, Brian

It is a lovely run, it can be done in 2 days with an overnight around Red Bull, but 3 days is more comfortable if you don't have much experience. Possible stopping places are Rode Heath for day 1 (Broughton Arms & Royal Oak pubs close by), day 2 you could stop at Congleton either the Wharf (Wharf pub here) or by the station (Queens Arms pub here with good ales), then you should reach Poynton on day 3. Can you tell I like a pint. Best advice I can give is on the locks try & avoid the stopping / starting on lock landings, instead try & stop in lock tails when shutting gates & if poss have a lock wheeler who can set ahead, possibly whilst the steerer lets the boat out of the lock & shuts the top gates.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

Cheers, Brian

The, newly restored & re-opened, Craven Arms (behind the Posthouse) link here, and the Canalside Cafe both do great real ales if you are around Gas Street Basin, the Canalside Cafe does great healthy food and you can sit on the canalside and gongoozle ;o)

Edited by Chop!

Sadly the Romping Donkey is no more and the cafe there is also closed I think they are going to be demolished probably to make way for posh houses.

The shop and cafe/bistro at Hassall Green (lock 57) closed a while ago, and I understand that the site use is being changed to housing, but with no demolition of the canalside 18th and 19th century buildings. A pity really that the shop has closed, as there has been a general store there serving boaters since at least the 1880s.

The Romping Donkey pub has been partly demolished, or to be correct, the awful 1960/1970 additions to this timbered building have been removed. Rumour (informed, I think) is that planning permission wasn't sought to do this, as the pub is grade 2 listed. I suspect that this mess will take a bit of time to sort out!

The Romping Donkey pub has been partly demolished, or to be correct, the awful 1960/1970 additions to this timbered building have been removed. Rumour (informed, I think) is that planning permission wasn't sought to do this, as the pub is grade 2 listed. I suspect that this mess will take a bit of time to sort out!

That surely should not be a problem, as it's highly unlikely that the 1960s and 1970s sections of the building were Grade 2 Listed.

That surely should not be a problem, as it's highly unlikely that the 1960s and 1970s sections of the building were Grade 2 Listed.

Unfortunately buildings are generally listed in the condition they were when listed. In this case that would include the 1960's and 1970's bits. It might have been easy to get listed building approval to take them off again, but it is generally much more difficult to do that retrospectively, simply to discourage people from retrospective applications IMHO.

N