Ribble Link Advice wanted

frangar

Featured Posts

Hi Chaps

Thinking of our summer cruising.......well something has to take mind off the cold!

We are toying with the idea of doing the Ribble link but have some worries.....

We are quite deep draughted at 2ft 8in and possibly not the fastest boat (JP2 with Crowthers Prop)...we can do about just under 5mph on a deepish river without the boat shaking itself to bits. Having looked at the FAQ for the link it suggests that you should be able to do at least 6mph so we are worried that we will be left behind by other boats with us and also that we may run out of water......

Should we look for dates with a higher tide or will this just mean we have more flow to fight with?

We watched some boats come off it last year and they didnt seem too shaken up! We have the main tank fuel polished and the day tank is new and clean and Im happy with everything else....well Im sure I will start hearing all sorts of odd noises when I start the link but thats just my paranoia!

Any other advice about doing the link will be more than welcome....we have VHF & Licence...Lifejackets...anchor....we can get a flare set if needed.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Chaps

Thinking of our summer cruising.......well something has to take mind off the cold!

We are toying with the idea of doing the Ribble link but have some worries.....

We are quite deep draughted at 2ft 8in and possibly not the fastest boat (JP2 with Crowthers Prop)...we can do about just under 5mph on a deepish river without the boat shaking itself to bits. Having looked at the FAQ for the link it suggests that you should be able to do at least 6mph so we are worried that we will be left behind by other boats with us and also that we may run out of water......

Should we look for dates with a higher tide or will this just mean we have more flow to fight with?

We watched some boats come off it last year and they didnt seem too shaken up! We have the main tank fuel polished and the day tank is new and clean and Im happy with everything else....well Im sure I will start hearing all sorts of odd noises when I start the link but thats just my paranoia!

Any other advice about doing the link will be more than welcome....we have VHF & Licence...Lifejackets...anchor....we can get a flare set if needed.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi

We have done the Ribble a couple of times and although it takes about 2 hours it not a problem.

Boats are let out two by two so you will always have company, if you are first down the locks its likely the rest will catch you up.

Depth is not a problem on the two rivers - but definitely in the link with its locks it is very shallow at times.

I'm sure they will ask for dimensions when you book a passage, also book early as it gets full.

Go for it it they say you are not to deep

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Hi,

You are right to be cautious. Before I get leapt on I am not saying don't do it, but the Ribble Link needs treating with respect. If your top speed is just under 5mph then defintely choose a day with smaller tides, the currents will be less strong and unlike most tidal adventures you are punching the tide most of the way.

When we took Ripple across in 2008 we ended up in Preston Docks for the night having failed to get to the Savick Brook before the water level fell to low. Ripple at the time was struggling for top speed and probably could only do 5mph (a year or two later, having cleared and blacked the hull, undertaken significant works on the fuel pump, fuel pipes and cooling system etc she topped 8mph in open water, but on this trip she was slow). We were undone by this and other factors, these being (1) the wind had prevented passage the previous day, so we were the last boat out on a doubly booked run (2) tides towards springs an (3) the wind blowing from Preston down the Ribble. At one point according to the mile markers we were making half a mile an hour overland.

We were never in danger, although a very unpleasant night on the mud might have occurred had we not made Preston Docks. However, we were fortunate to be locked up to the Lancaster on our own the next day. If there are no more passages for a week or two, you could be stuck in Preston Docks for that long.

The way back was a doddle, like a boating lake: neap tides and no winds, but we still only made it with 25 minutes to spare.

We had no problems, although it was very windy on our return trip. We still had to wait for nearly half an hour to get back through Tarleton "on the level" so speed wasn't a problem. Check with your insurers re flares and if you need them (We did, insured with Newton Crum - but didn't need to use them!) if you do need them I have a set going cheap, and they still have a long "shelf life" left (PM me for details).

Incidently, on our outward journey we were in the second lockful going down to the river Douglas and all of those sped past us, but we caught them all up on the link where they(and we) had to wait for the water level to drop to enable passage under a low bridge.

You will enjoy the trip and don't worry about having too little speed.

Dave

We did the last crossing from the Lancaster to the Leeds and Liverpool last year, on Rosa~May, a hire boat from Canal Boat Escapes.

Hire boats aren't usually allowed to do this trip, but as I work for the company, they asked us if we'd like to bring the boat across to Lower Park Marina ready for the 2013 season.

Even though we've done the Thames from Limehouse, this was by far the better trip and the Ribble Link was superb. We were delayed by a day as Savick Brook was in flood...a raging brown torrent, but we set off on the Thursday in the company of another boat and it was nice and normal again.

8082237002_4e253b4e89_z.jpg

Our lockies, Anthony and Steve worked every single lock for us. We realised once we'd reached the safety of Tarleton Lock with minutes to spare that we'd never have done it without their help!

8082241290_3d81389749_z.jpg

The crossing is simply fabulous and we were blessed with absolutely glorious weather, but we were fighting the tide all the way up the River Douglas to Tarleton, moving at a snail's pace most of the way. A bit hairy, but we phoned ahead as instructed when we were getting close and the lockie had everything ready for us to cruise straight in...not a moment too soon!

It's a trip I'd love to repeat, given the chance!

Provided you prepare properly and heed all the advice, you should have no problems.

Janet

Thanks for all the replies!

It's given me hope that we won't be swept out to sea......or sit on the mud overnight

Will have a look at timetable on the CaRT site and work out best dates

This could be fun!

Cheers

Gareth

Be prepared to be flexible with your dates as it will be pretty well booked up for the summer months by now.

If you go to Tarlton on crossing dates there are normally some no shows. You do need to register your Insurance details with Wigan and the easiest way to do this is at Wigan Office as you go through. Also they might have actually some cancellations. It always amazes me how many boats simply do not turn up without contacting Wigan Office. I have suggested to them in the past that they should take a £50 deposit this would be returnable on cancellation at least 3 weeks before crossing or after making crossing. These selfish people do not realise that they are doing other boaters out of the chance to cross.

If you go to Tarlton on crossing dates there are normally some no shows. You do need to register your Insurance details with Wigan and the easiest way to do this is at Wigan Office as you go through. Also they might have actually some cancellations. It always amazes me how many boats simply do not turn up without contacting Wigan Office. I have suggested to them in the past that they should take a £50 deposit this would be returnable on cancellation at least 3 weeks before crossing or after making crossing. These selfish people do not realise that they are doing other boaters out of the chance to cross.

When the Ribble Link first opened there was a charge made for the passage which was subsequently withdrawn. At a meeting last year with BW there was widespread support from boaters to reintroduce a charge, both to reduce the "no shows" and to contribute to its maintenance but this has not been actioned.

When the Ribble Link first opened there was a charge made for the passage which was subsequently withdrawn. At a meeting last year with BW there was widespread support from boaters to reintroduce a charge, both to reduce the "no shows" and to contribute to its maintenance but this has not been actioned.

It is the same with the Liverpool Link last time I went down last year there were 3 no shows!!!

Hi,

You are right to be cautious. Before I get leapt on I am not saying don't do it, but the Ribble Link needs treating with respect. If your top speed is just under 5mph then defintely choose a day with smaller tides, the currents will be less strong and unlike most tidal adventures you are punching the tide most of the way.

When we took Ripple across in 2008 we ended up in Preston Docks for the night having failed to get to the Savick Brook before the water level fell to low. Ripple at the time was struggling for top speed and probably could only do 5mph (a year or two later, having cleared and blacked the hull, undertaken significant works on the fuel pump, fuel pipes and cooling system etc she topped 8mph in open water, but on this trip she was slow). We were undone by this and other factors, these being (1) the wind had prevented passage the previous day, so we were the last boat out on a doubly booked run (2) tides towards springs an (3) the wind blowing from Preston down the Ribble. At one point according to the mile markers we were making half a mile an hour overland.

We were never in danger, although a very unpleasant night on the mud might have occurred had we not made Preston Docks. However, we were fortunate to be locked up to the Lancaster on our own the next day. If there are no more passages for a week or two, you could be stuck in Preston Docks for that long.

The way back was a doddle, like a boating lake: neap tides and no winds, but we still only made it with 25 minutes to spare.

Almost identical to our experience ! We were also last out & on our own as 5 boats doing link that day, after we had been told we'd missed the link sad.gif the tower at Preston Dock seemed a long way off & never seem to get any nearer, we nearly didn't make it. But like you we had a great trip back down & the Lancaster Canal was worth the trip even though we got our boat cabin 'keyed' in Garstang mad.gif

Edited by Jamboat

Stop worrying" enjoy the crossing and feel the exileration when you reverse out of the final lock at Preston whooo hooo. When I did it July 2011 there was a really rickety boat which smoked like hell, listed badly with the owners drinking merrily and they made it surprisingly. I am crossing on the 25/5 so let the sun shine brightly ;)

Edited by Boatgal

Did the link yesterday and it occurs to me your draft would be a problem. Nicholsans says two feet and there didn't seem much more than that. As for speed, a slow boat crossed yesterday but they were let out of the locks a day early and moored on the pontoons down thre Douglas to give them a head start.

Did the link yesterday and it occurs to me your draft would be a problem. Nicholsans says two feet and there didn't seem much more than that. As for speed, a slow boat crossed yesterday but they were let out of the locks a day early and moored on the pontoons down thre Douglas to give them a head start.

just realised we met on Saturday at Appley Bridge Lock I was the guy that was advising you on diesel situation. Glad you are now on Lancaster Canal

just realised we met on Saturday at Appley Bridge Lock I was the guy that was advising you on diesel situation. Glad you are now on Lancaster Canal

I've just realised, it's Dr Bradley (with his glasses off) in your avatar!

Richard

To do the Ribble or any other tidal river you have to have confidence in your boat builder, so hats off to you Andrew for taking such a risk! :P

Mike

It is the same with the Liverpool Link last time I went down last year there were 3 no shows!!!

We wanted to do the Liverpool Link when we arrived back from the Ribble Crossing, but couldn't because it was fully booked for the entire period we were able to do it. That was the year they had a show planned in Liverpool that was cancelled - we checked after the cancellation and were told the slots were still all booked.

I'd love to know how many no shows there were that weekend.

I'd also like to know how the slots were all filled when we phoned up at 9am on the first day of booking.

It smelled very bad to me :(

Anyways, sorry OP, back on topic

We were very lucky with the Ribble Link, very calm waters. We're 2ft 4in and had no problems with depth. We do have a relatively powerful engine for a narrowboat and I know nothing about engines so can't comment on how that'll be for you but will say that you are very well looked after during the crossing. They'll only let you go at Tarleton if the conditions are safe, you'll be in a convoy (6 boats when we did it) and there'll be someone counting the boats in when you get to Savick Brook.

We were assured that there was no chance we could drift out to sea - the worst thing that could happen is you get stuck on a sand bank in the estuary and end up a much photographed tourist attraction.

We were also told that flares are a ridiculous and unnecessary requirement, so we didn't get any.

We spent the best part of a year on the Lancaster Canal and absolutely loved every minute of it. I'd say go for it :)

Well many thanks for all the advice.....unfortunately on checking with CaRT all the times we could have done are fully booked....top marks to them for replying within a few hours with a full spreadsheet so we could see if other dates suited.

We will try and be more organised next year and book earlier...

Plan B is now in force...involving the Ship Canal! At least it now means we can stop off at Audlem Festival!

Cheers

Gareth

Cloggy *I'm returning on the 24th so we'll have to make sure we meet up in the 3 day window. (Do I demand another 50p when meeting up twice?)

Frangar. I have tried to get a suitable booking without success for the last two years. This year I registered interest in November and booked as soon as the times came out in January. But as others have said you could go to Tarleton and wait for a no show.