Visitor mooring time restrictions

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Is there any rhyme or reason to the time restrictions on visitor moorings?

In Birmingham there are plenty of 14 day visitor moorings, and even even if they're full there almost unlimited mooring by tying up to the arnco along the edge.

On the Calder & Hebble, all the VMs seems to be 48 or 72 hours, nothing longer and no good option to moor outside of the designated spots unless you use mooring pins. Now, I hate using mooring pins. No matter how hard I bash them in, after 2 or 3 days, enough selfish a-holes have sped past to pull them out again. Usually when I'm away at work. I wouldn't mind but the C&H isn't the busiest of waterways so there just isn't the pressure on the VMs that exist in other parts of the country. It appears that the answer for most cc'ers up here is simply to ignore the time restrictions and moor for as long as you like. not a great solution though, is it?

As an aside, I'm always amazed when people elect to use mooring pins when there's perfectly good rings or bollards to moor up to. I've never understood this. Can anyone explain?

Is there any rhyme or reason to the time restrictions on visitor moorings?

In Birmingham there are plenty of 14 day visitor moorings, and even even if they're full there almost unlimited mooring by tying up to the arnco along the edge.

On the Calder & Hebble, all the VMs seems to be 48 or 72 hours, nothing longer and no good option to moor outside of the designated spots unless you use mooring pins. Now, I hate using mooring pins. No matter how hard I bash them in, after 2 or 3 days, enough selfish a-holes have sped past to pull them out again. Usually when I'm away at work. I wouldn't mind but the C&H isn't the busiest of waterways so there just isn't the pressure on the VMs that exist in other parts of the country. It appears that the answer for most cc'ers up here is simply to ignore the time restrictions and moor for as long as you like. not a great solution though, is it?

As an aside, I'm always amazed when people elect to use mooring pins when there's perfectly good rings or bollards to moor up to. I've never understood this. Can anyone explain?

I find that the rings or bollards aren't always spaced in a way that means I can secure my boat without too much forward/backwards motion. In those circumstances I use a mix of the mooring rings available and a pin or two.

I find that the rings or bollards aren't always spaced in a way that means I can secure my boat without too much forward/backwards motion. In those circumstances I use a mix of the mooring rings available and a pin or two.

Fair enough but the key words were "Perfectly good". The boat I'm currently moored next to is a case in point.

Now, I hate using mooring pins. No matter how hard I bash them in, after 2 or 3 days, enough selfish a-holes have sped past to pull them out again. Usually when I'm away at work.

Posts like this infuriate me.

...you are (in your terminology, not mine) the selfish a-hole who can't be bothered to moor your boat properly not the passing boats.

Why don't you simply learn to do it properly?

There are 32,000 boats on the canal system who manage OK, don't you think it might be you who is doing it wrong?

• Greenie 1

Posts like this infuriate me.

...you are (in your terminology, not mine) the selfish a-hole who can't be bothered to moor your boat properly not the passing boats.

Why don't you simply learn to do it properly?

There are 32,000 boats on the canal system who manage OK, don't you think it might be you who is doing it wrong?

Thanks for the helpful reply and the personal insult Chris, you sure do infuriate easily don't you? No more than I've come to expect from you though... I'm sure you have some magic potion for making mooring pins immovable, perhaps you'd like to share it? The reality is that no matter what you do to secure your boat with pins, it always risks being vulnerable to working loose. The ground conditions and type are a huge influence, boats rock from side to side and that sideways force will always have an effect. If 'properly' installed mooring pins were so immoveable, why don't CaRT use the same system to install their rings? Obviously, attaching them to concrete or stone is much more secure.

Which is why, in order not to be a selfish a-hole, I always look for proper mooring rings or bollards.

Thanks the personal insult

...exactly the same insult you dished out to boaters doing nothing wrong.

And if you really want to know how to moor properly with stakes why don't you ask that rather than dish out insults which, I must say, is no more than I've come to expect from you?

or maybe you do use 'pins', they are better suited to dressmaking, in my opinion.

Edited by Chris Pink

...exactly the same insult you dished out to boaters doing nothing wrong.

And if you really want to know how to moor properly with stakes why don't you ask that rather than dish out insults which, I must say, is no more than I've come to expect from you?

or maybe you do use 'pins', they are better suited to dressmaking, in my opinion.

I insulted no-one personally (unlike you). Did you take it personally then? Are you one of the boaters who doesn't slow down when passing moored boats then? Do you think that's "doing nothing wrong"? I've never been down to the K&A but I understand that the lines of moored boats mean that average speed is around half a knot so maybe it's an issue you've not experienced?

For the record, I have no problem at all with boaters who are doing nothing wrong, i.e. slowing down past moored boats. Strangely enough, those boats don't seem to cause any problem when moored on pins, stakes or anything else.

I was hoping for some constructive replies about CaRT policy on VM time restrictions since it really seems unfathomable to me :wacko:

Note: we really need a sarcasm smiley, I'd have used it about 5 times in this post...

I insulted no-one personally (unlike you). Did you take it personally then? Are you one of the boaters who doesn't slow down when passing moored boats then? Do you think that's "doing nothing wrong"? I've never been down to the K&A but I understand that the lines of moored boats mean that average speed is around half a knot so maybe it's an issue you've not experienced?

For the record, I have no problem at all with boaters who are doing nothing wrong, i.e. slowing down past moored boats. Strangely enough, those boats don't seem to cause any problem when moored on pins, stakes or anything else.

I was hoping for some constructive replies about CaRT policy on VM time restrictions since it really seems unfathomable to me :wacko:

Note: we really need a sarcasm smiley, I'd have used it about 5 times in this post...

So it's OK to say "all boats that pass me when I'm out are selfish arseholes" but not ok to say "Dave_P is a selfish arsehole"? you'll have to instruct in the morality of this, it's passed me by.

Interesting that you should be ready to blame other boaters for going too fast (on a commercial waterway incidentally) when you haven't even seen them rather than examine your own technique.

If you aren't interested in mooring properly then you'll just have to move every few days (my opinion on your original question)

no sarcasm 'smileys' were harmed in the production of this post.

To answer your other point; no, boats coming unmoored seems to be only an occasional problem on the K and A, usually, though not always, caused by people not knowing how to moor properly.

• Greenie 1

So it's OK to say "all boats that pass me when I'm out are selfish arseholes" but not ok to say "Dave_P is a selfish arsehole"? you'll have to instruct in the morality of this, it's passed me by.

(snip)

:smiley_offtopic: To be fair, Dave didn't actually say that ...

Iain

:smiley_offtopic: To be fair, Dave didn't actually say that ...

Iain

Thanks for pointing that out Iain. It seems our Chris would rather misquote me than answer my question. Which, for clarity, is, do you think we shouldn't be slowing down past moored boats? (Although that wasnt the point of this thread, prior to it being subverted). I think we should and that people who don't are being selfish. I suspect I'm not alone in this view.

Incidentally, there's no commercial traffic where I'm moored. If there was, I'd have no problem since I'm properly and securely moored. The boat moored in front of me would likely have a big problem since they're relying on a fairly flimsy looking pin when there's proper mooring rings available.

Thanks for pointing that out Iain. It seems our Chris would rather misquote me than answer my question. Which, for clarity, is, do you think we shouldn't be slowing down past moored boats? (Although that wasnt the point of this thread, prior to it being subverted). I think we should and that people who don't are being selfish. I suspect I'm not alone in this view.

Incidentally, there's no commercial traffic where I'm moored. If there was, I'd have no problem since I'm properly and securely moored. The boat moored in front of me would likely have a big problem since they're relying on a fairly flimsy looking pin when there's proper mooring rings available.

There's no excuse (apart from very windy conditions I suppose) for NOT slowing down when passing moored boats. Even if 'properly secured' with rings there's still a heck of a wash that can bang you about a lot. I always make it a point to slow to a crawl and have to agree that people who don't ARE selfish a-holes.

Before this thread wanders off into a 'slow down' past moored boats (the Calder and Hebble i seem to recall is a commercial waterway - do correct me if I'm wrong);

Your original post is about "visitor moorings" - you are not a visitor - you are using these moorings as short term residential moorings - don't you think you are more than a little selfish (let's drop the arsehole nonsense Dave_P, that's your vocabulary, not mine) using them as such? By your own admission you're permanently occupying one visitor mooring or another, is depriving a true visitor of a chance to visit.

I suggest you be a little less selfish, learn to moor properly in places where you are not causing a selfish inconvenience to visitors. That will solve your problem nicely.

Before this thread wanders off into a 'slow down' past moored boats (the Calder and Hebble i seem to recall is a commercial waterway - do correct me if I'm wrong);

Your original post is about "visitor moorings" - you are not a visitor - you are using these moorings as short term residential moorings - don't you think you are more than a little selfish (let's drop the arsehole nonsense Dave_P, that's your vocabulary, not mine) using them as such? By your own admission you're permanently occupying one visitor mooring or another, is depriving a true visitor of a chance to visit.

I suggest you be a little less selfish, learn to moor properly in places where you are not causing a selfish inconvenience to visitors. That will solve your problem nicely.

Not sure how you define a visitor. I have a permanent mooring but right now I'm on a cruise. Why then am I not a visitor? CaRT have tried to encourage more use of the northern waterways (see their website) and I'm sure that would include cc'ers and those who cruise in the warmer months and simply want to take their time and explore an area as they travel. This option works well in many parts of the country and could work just as well here with boaters working their way down from Sowerby Bridge to Castleford over a few weeks. My point was that whilst CaRT seem to be encouraging people to do this on their website, the situation on the ground doesn't encourage it at all. It seems strange to me and i wondered if others had seen other similar oddities. My experience is that the heavily used and most popular visitor moorings close to main centres have short mooring durations but visitor moorings a bit further away are often 7 or 14 day. That doesn't seem to happen here and it seemed fair to me to wonder why.

Whilst trying to not become 'infuriated' - why are you now accusing me of selfishness and that I'm depriving others of using moorings? Where did you glean this information? Are you trying to misquote me again? What inconvenience are you speaking of? Are you assuming I'm over-staying? If so, why do you assume that? Have I wronged you in a former life?????

Finally, you are wrong so I'll correct you. The C&H is partly a commercial waterway. I'm not on the commercial part, and by any sensible definition the commercial bit (Wakey to Broad Cut) isn't exactly commercial.

Edited by Dave_P