Will this harm the boat?

DeanS

Featured Posts

Howdy.

many people need to run their boat engines for hours a day to create their hot water.

I use gas for hot water, but I need to run the boat to recharge batts.

I dont feel like going on an 8hr journey today just to recharge batts, so I've got it in idle...running at 1200 rpm. (tickover is about 800rpm)

Will it damage the boat at all doing this. (idle for 8hrs)

Is it better to tie up on a concrete navigation and run it in gear, at tickover for 8hrs.

Will the batts charge up faster at 1200rpm in idle, compared to 800rpm in gear.

I'm aware of "glazing" but is it overexagerated with newer boats.?

ps...I'm planning on getting a gennie for weekly 8hr batt recharging, but I havent got one yet.

THANKS!

Buy one of the Stirling type alternator/battery controllers and increase the size of your battery bank. This will reduce the time you have to run your engine. Apart from the cost of fuel you will glaze the bores of your engine and unburnt oil and fuel will cause wear.

Howdy.

many people need to run their boat engines for hours a day to create their hot water.

I dont feel like going on an 8hr journey today just to recharge batts, so I've got it in idle...running at 1200 rpm. (tickover is about 800rpm)

Is it better to tie up on a concrete navigation and run it in gear, at tickover for 8hrs.

ps...I'm planning on getting a gennie for weekly 8hr batt recharging, but I havent got one yet.

THANKS!

You would still need to run the engine at 1200 rpm plus whether in or out of gear.

I don't think it'll harm the engine to run for eight hours out of gear as long as its only occasionally.

Howdy.

THANKS!

Buy a generator.

Running a boat engine on idle just for battery charging is madness and inefficient. You shouldn't run your engine in gear on the canal anywhere, even on concrete as the concrete doesn't always go all the way down and it can be undermined and could eventually collapse.

Glazing is over exaggerated IMO

Running an engine for hours and hours for a few amps is un-necessary wear & tear anyway. Some solar energy would be advised, especially for the final stages of charging.

Batteries will accept a heavy charge initially, that will reduce as the battery charges up. You just end up running a big engine burning fuel to gain a few measly amps.

• Greenie 1

ok, let me rephrase the question.

If I run the boat today at 1200 rpm on idle, will it charge the batteries to 80% or thereabouts.

I CURRENTLY DONT HAVE SOLAR. (will do this yeaaaaaaaar)

I CURRENTLY DONT HAVE A GENNIE. (buying it soooooooooooooooooooon)

I CURRENTLY AM NOT CRUISING FOR 8HRS. (will do sooooooooooooooon)

I CURRENTLY DONT HAVE CASH FOR A STIRLING.

just wanna know if running it ONCE OFF today....for many hours on idle, is going to cause problems. Surely, many boaters run their boats on idle EVERY day to heat up water?

:)

If I run the boat today at 1200 rpm on idle, will it charge the batteries to 80% or thereabouts.

just wanna know if running it ONCE OFF today....for many hours on idle, is going to cause problems. Surely, many boaters run their boats on idle EVERY day to heat up water?

Its fine to run your engine as cc will tell you thats what its for as well as moving :D

You could tether the boat so the stern end sticks right out in mid stream or anchor offshore securely in mid stream and run it in gear. Or tie the stern to the middle of an overbridge in mid stream and run the engine in fore gear so as not to erode the bank.

You could tether the boat so the stern end sticks right out in mid stream or anchor offshore securely in mid stream and run it in gear. Or tie the stern to the middle of an overbridge in mid stream and run the engine in fore gear so as not to erode the bank.

You should have unraveled a long long mains extension lead out behind you all the way from the marina you left. :closedeyes:

You should have unraveled a long long mains extension lead out behind you all the way from the marina you left. :closedeyes:

it just doesnt reach.....short by a few feet.

I've left in running in idle,and every hour go out and put it into gear and give it a nice long burst. The only thing is they're working on Castlefield bridge and have constructed a floating pontoon for the scaffold...which might all collapse if I "open up" :)

Buy a generator.

Running a boat engine on idle just for battery charging is madness and inefficient. You shouldn't run your engine in gear on the canal anywhere, even on concrete as the concrete doesn't always go all the way down and it can be undermined and could eventually collapse.

Glazing is over exaggerated IMO

Running an engine for hours and hours for a few amps is un-necessary wear & tear anyway. Some solar energy would be advised, especially for the final stages of charging.

Batteries will accept a heavy charge initially, that will reduce as the battery charges up. You just end up running a big engine burning fuel to gain a few measly amps.

Engine vs generator for battery charging is a bit like pump-out vs cassette on this forum so let me put the opposite argument to Julynian.

Storing and using petrol on a boat is madness!

Running a generator outdoors or on the towpath is anti-social!

Running a generator in a cratch or half in the back door is madness!

So it really comes down to engine vs a diesel generator.

Once an engine is up to temperature there is very little extra wear from running it for longer (maybe alternator bearings but almost none on the engine itself)

If you have a big battery bank and alternator then you will need really quite a big generator to get a similar charge, so the saving in fuel use will be minimal. You could start with the main engine then swap to a little generator when the charge current has fallen. This is probably the worse of both worlds rather than the best!

Ideally you should have a nice big calorifier so that you are using the engine to make hot water whilst charging batteries. A Travelpower would be good too as you can then run a washing machine and immersion heater and put some more load on the engine.

Why buy and maintain another diesel engine when you already have one!

The arguments might be different if you have a precious vintage engine

And if it does all go wrong (which it almost certainly won't) a like for like engine swap is not a big deal!

.........Dave

• Greenie 3

Seek out a convenient lampost. Moor next to it and when the coast is clear shin up it replace the bulb with a twin bulb adapter, shove the bulb back into one socket so the lamp still works, with your extension lead plugged into the other socket, stick the lead to the post camouflaging it with the same colour paint as the post. Now just be patient until lighting up time and you can do all your work and charging overnight. Sleep during the day. :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1

Why is running one type of engine any more or less "anti-social" than another?

I've heard boat engines that sound like a 747 is landing on the cut and gennies that you can stand next to and barely hear...

...and don't get me started on "Eardrumsmaschers" and similar diesel blast furnaces.

Why is running one type of engine any more or less "anti-social" than another?

I've heard boat engines that sound like a 747 is landing on the cut and gennies that you can stand next to and barely hear...

...and don't get me started on "Eardrumsmaschers" and similar diesel blast furnaces.

Not talking about proper built in gennies here.

My observation (and this is the K&A) is that most generators are air cooled things with a tiny exhaust, on the back deck, making a horrid noise, whilst boat engines are usually water cooled, inboard so shielded by the boat structure, and with a functional exhaust system.

Most small generators are also higher revving.

The little suitcase generators are much quieter but when outside can still be very irritating. Why do they always "hunt" ?

............Dave

Doing this once shouldn't harm it. Wouldn't like to do this to my engine on a regular basis.

I spoke to Beta about glazing of bores by running an engine in idle for hours. They told me that provided you were using oil of the correct grade, i.e. basic diesel oil and not semi synthetic etc. then there are absolutely no issues.

That is from the horses mouth so to speak and not an opinion from somebody who is guessing.

Not talking about proper built in gennies here.

My observation (and this is the K&A) is that most generators are air cooled things with a tiny exhaust, on the back deck, making a horrid noise, whilst boat engines are usually water cooled, inboard so shielded by the boat structure, and with a functional exhaust system.

Most small generators are also higher revving.

The little suitcase generators are much quieter but when outside can still be very irritating. Why do they always "hunt" ?

............Dave

Not set up right. Probabaly poor quality ones. My Honda (30+years old) and yamaha (about 20 yrs old) don't hunt, and people remark on how quit they are (esp. the old Honda). They have saved endless hours on the engine clock.

............Dave

That'll be an SR2 and an EU10i you're talking about here?

I spoke to Beta about glazing of bores by running an engine in idle for hours. They told me that provided you were using oil of the correct grade, i.e. basic diesel oil and not semi synthetic etc. then there are absolutely no issues.

That is from the horses mouth so to speak and not an opinion from somebody who is guessing.

Have had a similar reply from Vetus with the advice to run around 1100-1200 rpm (gearbox lube issues.) People have questioned my using cheapo mineral oil from Asda, but it ticks all the boxes. I do change it frequently.

Engine vs generator for battery charging is a bit like pump-out vs cassette on this forum so let me put the opposite argument to Julynian.

Storing and using petrol on a boat is madness!

There are diesel generators you know :lol:

Well Mine will be built in next to the main engine.

Running a generator in a cratch or half in the back door is madness!

Agreed

So it really comes down to engine vs a diesel generator.

As I'm suggesting.

Once an engine is up to temperature there is very little extra wear from running it for longer (maybe alternator bearings but almost none on the engine itself)

If you have a big battery bank and alternator then you will need really quite a big generator to get a similar charge, so the saving in fuel use will be minimal.

I have a Kubota OC60 diesel engine generator which will output 180 amps, and still have capacity for more, it uses 1/4 the fuel the boat engine does.

You could start with the main engine then swap to a little generator when the charge current has fallen. This is probably the worse of both worlds rather than the best!

Ideally you should have a nice big calorifier so that you are using the engine to make hot water whilst charging batteries. A Travelpower would be good too as you can then run a washing machine and immersion heater and put some more load on the engine.

Why buy and maintain another diesel engine when you already have one!

He's already stated he has gas heated water :wacko:

Because a boat engine costs around 6k + and a small quality diesel engine costs a grand new, mine cost £180 but I have to make it into a generator. Even with a charge controller it's more expensive to charge batteries from a boat engine. And then you have to ake in to account more expensive servicing.

The arguments might be different if you have a precious vintage engine

And if it does all go wrong (which it almost certainly won't) a like for like engine swap is not a big deal!

Just 6k plus then :lol: I'de much rather replace the small diesel engine myself :wacko:

.........Dave

Seems excessive to run for 8 hours , I run mine for 2 hours in the morning , then another hour in the evening when I first turn the tele on , I think my batteries are a bit knackered and running them down and back up again is definately not good . Heading for a refit soon and I think the way to go are 6v batteries and solar .