Cannock Extension Canal

Tony K

Featured Posts

That second picture is quite deceptive.

Richard

Do you mean that any minute now that fibreglass cruiser will be loaded with 25 tonnes of coal? :o

You can see substantial brickwork partly hidden by trees on the right, although unless the canal has narrowed through vegetation growth, I can't really place it in the "then" picture

I find the old Grove Colliery basin one of the least attractive bits of the of BCN.

The sides of the basin still exist as scrubby land where a few boats moor. The end view suggests more vegetation than actually exists

Richard

I find the old Grove Colliery basin one of the least attractive bits of the of BCN.

The sides of the basin still exist as scrubby land where a few boats moor. The end view suggests more vegetation than actually exists

Richard

Taken on one of our fishing matches late last year when the trees had shed their leaves and the vegetation had died back......

100_2809.jpg

Edited by Tony K

Quite honestly I cannot understand why Wyrley estates have not developed this basin. It is so scruffy and unkempt to be beyond belief, why anyone moors there is beyond me. CTS manage it i understand. You would have thought some "encouragment" would have been forthcoming. The Wyrley is now a very attractive canal, also all the vegetation that was a nuisance on the extension is gone, so why not develop a obvious asset?

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

• 10 months later...

Burntwood/Lichfield recently received a £50k grant to invest in the High St and local area to try and improve trade. I suggested that they install some water points and visitor moorings at Angelsey Basin by Chasewater. The thinking being its a nice large area of water where quite a few boats could moor so that they can visit the town and also (I think) there are only a few locks between Angelsey Basin and the centre of Brum, so Chasetown could have been the 'rural get away' within one day/half a days cruising from central Brum.

I even offered to supply equipment to do the job for free.

In the end they decided to spend the money on a local resident loyalty card that will entitle locals to discount in local shops.

Just been pointed to this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_x5WdDUjM

1960s Brownhills, various bits of canals starting around 12 mins, good shots of the Grove around 15:23 mins

springy

I think the steam loco hauling the goods train through Brownhills station was LMS 'Jubilee' class 45641 "Sandwich". Sad, I know

• 10 months later...

Some more shots of the Grove on Brownhills Bob

http://brownhillsbob.com/2015/01/04/one-of-the-last-standing/

(from CRT archive)

ETA - just found them on the CRT site - part of the Arthur Watts photographs collection

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw200.1.10.52

unfortunately I forsee myself loosing at least a couple of hours browsing just the BCN part of it !

springy

Edited by springy

Great links. But CRT have got PACIFIC wrong. Could be VESTA maybe - better knowledge needed.

Another angle of the same boat:

http://brownhillsbob.com/2015/01/04/one-of-the-last-standing/v0_web-10-2/

It looks like PACIFIC to me, originally built by F.M.C. Ltd., Saltley as their steamer VICTORY (and not to be confused with the Yarwood built Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. tug of the same name) captain.gif