BBC4 - Tuesday 2nd April - River Trent

Featured Posts

This may interest a few - traversing the entire length of the River Trent (Linkythingummy)

Thanks Dave I would have missed it. Please though all you who are on the southern ditch system dont bother coming up to the Trent its awful realy.

I think the site of " Battlestone " may have been a good advert for why you must carry vhf radio on the Trent and of course the ships at Flixborough !!

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Just finished watching the program, thoroughly enjoyed it but it has to be said I have never seen such an inept oarsman than Tom Fort, I was in stitches watching his efforts and rather wondered just how much of it he actually rowed, not a lot methinks even the sweeps he was using were to short for his boat. Never mind it did not detract from my enjoyment.

Phil

Is it open to the public? Whats there to look at? Wont see the program as I cant get any BBC on the tv.

Clay mills has 4 large beam engines in two engine house. Two of them are restored to working order. The other two are as abandoned by SevenTrent water years ago. I believe it is the largest collection of working stationary steam engines in the UK. There is a steam powered working workshop and blacksmiths shop, with a small cafe. Entry is free on non steaming days, Thurs, sat and Suns.

Steaming days are most bank holidays.

See www.claymills.org.uk

Next steaming days are 5th and 6th May 2013.

£5 adults children £2 family £12 so very reasonable.

Thanks Dave I would have missed it. Please though all you who are on the southern ditch system dont bother coming up to the Trent its awful realy.

I think the site of " Battlestone " may have been a good advert for why you must carry vhf radio on the Trent and of course the ships at Flixborough !!

Tim

And keep well clear of big trip boats between Trent Bridge and Stoke Lock. They zigzag all over the river

Just finished watching the program, thoroughly enjoyed it but it has to be said I have never seen such an inept oarsman than Tom Fort, I was in stitches watching his efforts and rather wondered just how much of it he actually rowed, not a lot methinks even the sweeps he was using were to short for his boat. Never mind it did not detract from my enjoyment.

Phil

He was a bit rubbish I agree. Programme was excellent though, really enjoyed that.

I also saw this program and as someone who's family comes from Gainsborough I thought it was rather lame! I know the Trent well and thought that a better history of the Trent could have been given. There is a a lot more to the Trent villages and towns and Cities than meets the eye. Did he mention the Bore known as the Aigir in Linconshire which sadly is not as big as it used to be!!!

My link

The River Trent Aigir at Owston Ferry 2006.

The Trent Aigir West Stockwith 2011. Edited by Chloe

I lived in Gainsborough for 5 years and, I too, was struck by the lack of detail about a large part of the river, from Newark to Trent Falls

But then he couldn't row that bit so the visual appeal of the first half of the river couldn't carry on so it was glossed over I think

I lived in Gainsborough for 5 years and, I too, was struck by the lack of detail about a large part of the river, from Newark to Trent Falls

But then he couldn't row that bit so the visual appeal of the first half of the river couldn't carry on so it was glossed over I think

The explains a lot, I fell asleep (as I am wont to do in the evenings at the moment) and thought I must have missed a big slice, but I saw Newark before snoozles and Trent Falls after...

The explains a lot, I fell asleep (as I am wont to do in the evenings at the moment) and thought I must have missed a big slice, but I saw Newark before snoozles and Trent Falls after...

You could only have been asleep for a moment Patrick

I was looking forward to it but was quite disappointed really. It looked to have been made in a rush (probably was) and not fully researched. No blame to the production team, I know how tight the filming schedules on these things are but I was hoping for a lot more. It didn't seem to know whether it should be a factually stimulating programme or whether it should have been more contemplative and poetic about the river itself. I would have liked to have seen more of the river itself rather than stories about the places it passes through, of the sort which have been done to death by everyone from Fred Dibnah to Adam Hart-Davis to that Guy fellow with the sideburns. I'd give it 3 stars, coz I'm generous.