towpath cyclists

Featured Posts

About 10 years ago a boat owner who used to have a boat on moorings around here dug a small channel in the towpath, he then inserted a 6 ft piece of wood with nails just protruding through it, he then covered it over with soil sat back in his deck chair with a drink and smiled.

Darren

Lol, hopefully he'll be just as happy when some narrowboat hating person comes along & drills a few holes in his hull while he's not looking

About 10 years ago a boat owner who used to have a boat on moorings around here dug a small channel in the towpath, he then inserted a 6 ft piece of wood with nails just protruding through it, he then covered it over with soil sat back in his deck chair with a drink and smiled.

Darren

I guess he was the local village idiot.

Not only would this be unfair on responsible cyclists it would be a risk to animals walking on the towpath too, and kids in bare feet.

A 24 carat prick.

I guess he was the local village idiot.

Not only would this be unfair on responsible cyclists it would be a risk to animals walking on the towpath too, and kids in bare feet.

A 24 carat prick.

Couldn't agree more. Perhaps he might be hoisted by his own petard one day?

There's a prat on a motorbike teararsing up the Loughborough towpath frequently at the moment, regardless of pedestrians, dogs, kids. I have caught him on video...police or c&rt?

Police, and tell them you wish to make the complaint under Sect 59.

They'll know what you mean.

Edited by Graham Davis

Whatever pastime/hobby you have there always seems to be an anti social section who will take their sport to the extreme and sod the rest of you. We shouldn't then tar everyone with the same brush and act stupidly towards them. It's not fair but unfortunately there is often little you can do about it except just get on with your own life. However, it it always good to flag up these problems with the relevant authorities so if it's an ongoing problem rather than a one off they will know and hopefully act.

So please give the majority of cyclists a break plus dog owners, boaters, fishermen, etc etc

• Greenie 2

• 1 month later...

Chimneychain - did your friend leave his mooring to take up his place in an institution? Or maybe he didn't exist and you are just fantasizing? Slimy.

Oh no, he did exist his boat was down near the packet boat bridge in cowley. He was an alcoholic and took an instant dislike for bikes after one of his dogs got run over and got badly hurt by one of the speed freaks. He later died in hospital.

Darren

Whatever pastime/hobby you have there always seems to be an anti social section who will take their sport to the extreme and sod the rest of you. We shouldn't then tar everyone with the same brush and act stupidly towards them. It's not fair but unfortunately there is often little you can do about it except just get on with your own life. However, it it always good to flag up these problems with the relevant authorities so if it's an ongoing problem rather than a one off they will know and hopefully act.

So please give the majority of cyclists a break plus dog owners, boaters, fishermen, etc etc

:) greeniefied totally agree, as moi is a boater, and will only fish if i can eat my catch, avid cyclist and now canoeist :)

Good post. Where we're moored at the moment is a popular cycling route - walking back to the boat yesterday we stood aside for a cyclist and held onto the dog. Didn't look our way, just cycled past us as if we didn't exist without a word of thanks - Dave said "that's alright mate" at the same time as I said "you're welcome". We've actually encountered more polite cyclists that slow down and thank you for standing aside but it's the arses that you remember the most, which is a shame but is the way it is.

The primitive human brain looks for patterns in things - and seeks to associate the actions of individuals to a wider 'class' in order to find 'out groups' to drive away and against which to try and unite the tribe.

The more primitive the brain of the person the more pronounced this tendency will be - especially among weaker members of the tribe, or those lacking in confidence of their social position,feeling loss of status, or seeking approval.

Its why racism is so appealing to the ignorant, or the fearful. And why religions cause wars. And why cyclists are so hated. It isn't actually rational - it is the monkey/caveman brain at work. It can get very nasty indeed when it takes over though as Luctor shows so well!

Fortunately there are people with higher intelligence or more evolved brains - or who can control the monkey gibber hate monster - and for that we should be thankful.

• Greenie 2

This week we seem to have seen many more of the mountain bikes with riders with full protective kit riding at break neck speed. Is this an increasing trend I wonder, if it is I fear that it will become an increasing danger, and someone is going to get hurt.

A metaphor for life in general, I fear Ange. sad.png

SAM

BTW: Are you on the Weaver?

We've just come off the Weaver, but our son is joining us tomorrow and he wants to see it. So I think we'll be going back down the lift in the next few days :)

The Sustrans and the council are spending around £1.5 million on regrading the towpath between Gargrave and Skipton.This will enable the some of the cyclists around here to time themselves with their stopwatches and make even greater time between A and B.I witnessed an accident between an elderly woman and a lycra clad mountain biker on the towpath in Skipton Town Centre some years ago,it was not a pretty sight.It is nice to see a family out and about on their bikes for a leisurely ride,however I don't think it is the place to be doing time trials against yourself or your mates.

I'm glad the gates have been removed for the benefit of disabled people. Means I can carry my motorbike on my boat when I get it, and easily wheel it on and off the towpath.

I think doing wheelies on your motorbike on the towpath is appalling yobbish behaviour. It is people like you who make the rest of society hate boaters. You wait till you knock some poor old lady or toddler into the cut with your irresponsible no doubt drug or drink fuelled antics. Cyclists are the least of the problems when we have wheelie-monstering hells angels to contend with.

I think doing wheelies on your motorbike on the towpath is appalling yobbish behaviour. It is people like you who make the rest of society hate boaters. You wait till you knock some poor old lady or toddler into the cut with your irresponsible no doubt drug or drink fuelled antics. Cyclists are the least of the problems when we have wheelie-monstering hells angels to contend with.

This is a joke....... right????

• 2 weeks later...

I cycled from Manc to Lonon in July. I encountered many dogs and only had an issue with one, fortunately, I was traveling relatively slowly at the time. Everyone, no matter how they are traveling needs to respect other users, it also helps to be gracious to the idiots that we all encounter. I was very greatful to a boater who made me a brew at Fradley Junction after a particularly tough day and many others I met along the way.

Speaking as a biker who has a few selfish people riding off roaders round my estate dispite the potential dangers to young children etc. I think motorbiks need to be kept well away from the towpath.

I agree that if any biker .... cyclist or motorcyclist did wheelies or rode fast and were inconsiderate to anyone using the towpaths, then they should be ideally be spoken to and reported, as that is not only unsociable behavior but very dangerous.

But as an avid cyclist and yes I do dismount and ride consideratley on the towpaths and on the roads, and as a future motorcyclist, I intend to have a classic motorbike as well as a racing and mountain bike on my boat. Not every cyclist or motorcyclist is irresponsible, and not all of us do what you stated. As for hells angel erm.. moi is more of a witchy one ;)

I think perhaps, he is talking about wheeling it by the handle bars, walking next to it.

:) greenie thingy for that man :) as that is the impression that I also got from ricco's post.

to behonest its a lot more relaxing cycling along the towpaths at a leisurely pace, than on some of our roads sadly today.After doing a reccy of my present area I have not attempted to go out for a long ride, due to the speed of the cars and vans around here, its like wacky races..so tend tostick riding around the lakes.