Morco D61 or F11

JLees

Featured Posts

I've been advised to fit a an F11 because the boat water circulation pump supplies 11 litres/minute therefore the 6 litres/min provided by the D61 would be insufficient for the shower, whereby the F11 provides 11 litres/min. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of this? I figure the D61 is much less hassle (and also battery sparked so no need for inverter to work electronic ignition) but if it doesn't provide hot water for showers, not a lot of use! Advice much appreciated!

Also! - Is there an issue here with RCD? As a newbuild would the D61 Comply or only the F11 room sealed?

Edited by JLees

I've been advised to fit a an F11 because the boat water circulation pump supplies 11 litres/minute therefore the 6 litres/min provided by the D61 would be insufficient for the shower, whereby the F11 provides 11 litres/min. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of this? I figure the D61 is much less hassle (and also battery sparked so no need for inverter to work electronic ignition) but if it doesn't provide hot water for showers, not a lot of use! Advice much appreciated!

Also! - Is there an issue here with RCD? As a newbuild would the D61 Comply or only the F11 room sealed?

We use a D61 on our boat and the water pump flow is higher rated than the D61 we have no issues with the shower. The water gets plenty hot enough. The F11 is a much bigger unit and a room sealed flue so harder to fit.

The D61 is Piezo ignited rather than electric but the all but identical model E61 is battery ignition of the pilot light.

I'd still go for the D61/E61 as it is much simpler to fit takes up less space and is much cheaper. I'd doubt you will have problems with getting a hot shower.

You will need to read up on the RCD regs I am not familiar with them but in terms of the BSS there is no issue with having a D61.

We use a D61 on our boat and the water pump flow is higher rated than the D61 we have no issues with the shower. The water gets plenty hot enough. The F11 is a much bigger unit and a room sealed flue so harder to fit.

The D61 is Piezo ignited rather than electric but the all but identical model E61 is battery ignition of the pilot light.

I'd still go for the D61/E61 as it is much simpler to fit takes up less space and is much cheaper. I'd doubt you will have problems with getting a hot shower.

You will need to read up on the RCD regs I am not familiar with them but in terms of the BSS there is no issue with having a D61.

As far as I'm aware RCD only applies to new builds and then those being sold as a new build ( built by a company to be sold to the public or used for hire )

As far as I'm aware RCD only applies to new builds and then those being sold as a new build ( built by a company to be sold to the public or used for hire )

That is exactly what the OP is asking about.

I know that RCD applies to self build too if you may wish to sell within the first 5 years after completing the boat.

Edited by churchward

Think the D61 suits most people though maybe a little on the small side in winter. With this in mind the gas supply to it needs be properly sized at least, conservatively sizing it a bit bigger won't hurt.

The 11lpm water pump is about right for something like a D61, it should be able to provide a much lower flow without cycling off. Anything much bigger may tend to cycle on and off at times unless it's one of those electronic variable flow pumps.

The issue with the F11 is likely to be flue terminal height unless it can go horizontally out of the back wall of the boat, see the pics of the vertical terminal on the Morco site.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=+site:canalworld.net+morco+f11e+flue

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

We use a D61 and a Jabsco water pump (15-25psi flow). The shower is the best I've ever had. Nice and hot, and great flow. On our old boat, we had fitted a shower nozzle with extremely fine spray holes, and that was marvelous. In the new boat we just used the spray nozzle which came with the kit and it works well too.