Car on boat on Grand Union

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

Have just got back from a trip down the Grand Union from Braunston to Camden and back. It was a great month, if a little cold, but just going over some of the things we saw and remembered a boat with half a car attached to the front. It was it her on the Paddington arm or was it near Rickmanswoth?

Anyway, I'm sure others know this boat and I'm wondering if anyone knows the story behind it?

The other thing that comes to mind is the canoeist we met near Blisworth. He was heading South and asked us, which way was Milton Keynes? He had a sleeping bag strapped to the back and it was only when we had passed him that I wondered if he knew about the tunnel. We later met another boat who had seen him at Stoke Bruerne so he must have got there somehow and I don't think he would have carried it over the top! Apparently he was on the way to France. Anyone else come across him, a guy with an Afro haircut?

Edited by Peter Thornton

The other thing that comes to mind is the canoeist we met near Blisworth. He was heading South and asked us, which way was Milton Keynes? He had a sleeping bag strapped to the back and it was only when we had passed him that I wondered if he knew about the tunnel. We later met another boat who had seen him at Stoke Bruerne so he must have got there somehow and I don't think he would have carried it over the top! Apparently he was on the way to France. Anyone else come across him, a guy with an Afro haircut?

Fantastic !

I wonder if anyone has actually ever met a canoeist in there and what they did about it?

I once heard a sort of odd thud quite noticeable about half way through and when I got out the other end the and met the boat in front at stoke top lock the bloke said he got a thud too. didn't mention if he got a yelp though :lol:

probably a tree trunk or something

Still remember the narrowboat that travelled around the system during the 1970's with its car along for the journey!

Have just got back from a trip down the Grand Union from Braunston to Camden and back. It was a great month, if a little cold, but just going over some of the things we saw and remembered a boat with half a car attached to the front. It was it her on the Paddington arm or was it near Rickmanswoth?

Anyway, I'm sure others know this boat and I'm wondering if anyone knows the story behind it?

Still remember the narrowboat that travelled around the system during the 1970's with its car along for the journey!

That would be the original Willy No-name used to tow a dyane on a pontoon.

There has since been a replacement WNN.

If that is the same one the OP saw, then it has been knocking around for a while. There were photos posted of it on here a few months ago with comments from people who were not happy as he seemed to be 'breaking' it on the towpath within sight and earshot of residential properies.