15 Boats to the top of Deepcut

Leo No2

Featured Posts

We managed to get 15 boats to the top of Deepcut today - first time since early 2009 any boats have traversed Deepcut. Well done Byfleet Boat Club, Basingstoke Canal Society, IWA and last but not least the Basingstoke Canal Authority and their passionate staff. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Edited by Leo No2

We managed to get 15 boats to the top of Deepcut today - first time since early 2009 any boats have traversed Deepcut. Well done Byfleet Boat Club, Basingstoke Canal Society, IWA and last but not least the Basingstoke Canal Authority and their passionate staff. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Excellent. Well done. We must come down and use it.

Could visit my son in Bisley at the same time.

Picture taken this morning in the cold (very) at Potter's Pool (Mytchett). We have another 8 boats coming up Deepcut this morning to that will make 24 in total (I think - I have lost count really). We had a lovely evening in the pub last night remembering all those who thought that restoring the Basingstoke wasn't impossible, the narrow guage railway that ran up and down Deepcut and last but by no means least all those who put so much into the Basingstoke and have since died but have not been forgotten.

Filling Potter's Pool at Mytchett this morning (Sunday)

DSCF7993.jpg

Wonderful photo.

Have you called the local newspapers to tell them? I'm sure they'd be pleased to publish an article about this.

MtB

MtB

Yes we've involved as many of the local media as we can. I was the last boat up yesterday but understand Canal Boat/Tillergraph were in Deepcut during the morning so hopefully we will get some publicity. Also understand that both Surrey and Hampshire County Council publicity machines will roll into action next week or the week after. We also plan another get-together at Potters on Thursday 4-April at about 19:00 to get all the Deepcut people together and I wondered if we could find a King Neptune to initiate the Deepcut 'virgins' perhaps :rolleyes:

Fabulous 8 eights gin clear sky this morning so I'll slip out and take some more pictures!

Picture taken this morning in the cold (very) at Potter's Pool (Mytchett). We have another 8 boats coming up Deepcut this morning to that will make 24 in total (I think - I have lost count really). We had a lovely evening in the pub last night remembering all those who thought that restoring the Basingstoke wasn't impossible, the narrow guage railway that ran up and down Deepcut and last but by no means least all those who put so much into the Basingstoke and have since died but have not been forgotten.

Filling Potter's Pool at Mytchett this morning (Sunday)

DSCF7993.jpg

Is the pub there still called Potters?

Edited by jelunga

Graham

We cannot get past Blacksmith's Bridge winding hole due to a major slip in the area. Right alongside the 'Great Wall of Domgmersfield'. A great shame but these things happen and as the area is prone to slippage we are not surprised that it did slip after the extremely wet weather we have 'enjoyed' over the previous 12 months. It's a real shame that it happened this week but we've been advised that we mustn't go past Blacksmith's and by that we'll have to abide as there is no guarantee we'll get back (the trees on the slippage we cut down on Friday but the roots moved a further few yards yesterday so it would be crazy to risk it. The big thing is that we have proved Deepcut is usable and that's a huge plus.

It is - Bob Potter has a number of establishments in the area including the one where the World Darts Championship is held (Lakeside)

I lived at Mytchett a while ago so knew about Bob Potter. Surprised he is still going though.

Graham

We cannot get past Blacksmith's Bridge winding hole due to a major slip in the area. Right alongside the 'Great Wall of Domgmersfield'. A great shame but these things happen and as the area is prone to slippage we are not surprised that it did slip after the extremely wet weather we have 'enjoyed' over the previous 12 months. It's a real shame that it happened this week but we've been advised that we mustn't go past Blacksmith's and by that we'll have to abide as there is no guarantee we'll get back (the trees on the slippage we cut down on Friday but the roots moved a further few yards yesterday so it would be crazy to risk it. The big thing is that we have proved Deepcut is usable and that's a huge plus.

This all sounds rather exiting!

How unfortunate that the slippage has happened.

So, are you saying that if it were not for the slippage, it would have been possible for a 70ft to get to Ash?

My Son and Granddaughters live within sight of the canal there!

It is Mary and I's intention to come down to the River Wey in May/June, fortunately, we will be cruising all of the summer, and to actually take a trip up the Basingstoke would be a chance not to be missed!

I do hope you all enjoy yourselves and hope the weather stays kind for you all.

Nipper

This all sounds rather exiting!

How unfortunate that the slippage has happened.

So, are you saying that if it were not for the slippage, it would have been possible for a 70ft to get to Ash?

My Son and Granddaughters live within sight of the canal there!

It is Mary and I's intention to come down to the River Wey in May/June, fortunately, we will be cruising all of the summer, and to actually take a trip up the Basingstoke would be a chance not to be missed!

I do hope you all enjoy yourselves and hope the weather stays kind for you all.

Nipper

Ash is well this side of the slippage - we'll be through Ash today I should think if I can get myself going!

I lived at Mytchett a while ago so knew about Bob Potter. Surprised he is still going though.

[/quoIe]

:smiley_offtopic:

Yes, I remember Bob Potter.

I also remember searching the lake at his Lakeside place with the Aldershot British Sub Aqua club to try to retrieve a gold ring one of his "Men" lost whilst throwing fish food at the giant fish that resided in that lake.

I also recollect that he lost one of his "men" in that lake when he overturned a digger from a bridge and ended upside down in it.

Nipper

Edited by nipper

Thanks, I'll listen out for you.

A quick scout around earlier revealed six at the Fox & Hounds, and ten at Potters. Do you intend to all meet a one place at some point?

We are planning to have all the boats at Potters on Thursday 4-April in the afternoon/evening with the exception of Rowan and Stronghold due to Rowan suffering a fractured crankshaft and Stronghold taking him back to the Wey - we want them to be ready to go down Deepcut first thing on Friday morning ahead of the other boats.

Took grandson to view the boats this morning and just come back from taking him for the evening stroll. Good to see boats using the basingstoke again. Lets hope it lasts this time. Guess the Mytchett Beer festival kept you here for the day

We managed to get 23 boats up Deepcut over the last two days. That's a huge effort by all the boaters, the Canal Authority and the Counties on this the coldest Easter for quite some time. :cheers:

We are restricted to only going as far as Blacksmith's Bridge winding hole due to a land slip in the area. It's right alongside the Gabion Wall (also know by some as the Great Wall of Dogmersfield) where there was a large land slip in the early 1980s. So we can't go to the limit of the navigation as planned but we have proved, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Deepcut, Brookwood, St Johns and Woodham are 'open for business' - if you wish to enjoy the Basingstoke you will still need to book through the Basingstoke Canal Authority (BCA) on 01252 370073 and bear in mind that the archilies heel of this canal is (and always has been) water. The local branch of the IWA and the Basingstoke Canal Society in conjunction with Hampshire and Surrey County Councils together with Southampton University are running a Water Resources Team to try and find additional sources of water.

When I manage to obtain a better signal I'll publish some photos.

Some boats are now in Fleet at the Fox and Hounds and the rest of us are either spread out along the canal or about to set off from Potters.

Edited by Leo No2