On board Hifi

JLees

Featured Posts

I know, I know an old topic - but I'm seeking clarity!

Hifi for boat run off iphone or macbook pro (Have already) so need amp speakers etc, for saloon on reverse layout (minimum) has to be 12v, sound spreading to cruiser stern space would be nice but not a deal breaker - budget around 300 quid. Advice much much appreciated!

Hi with you specifying must be 12v, I think your best bet would be a car audio system.

These stereos accept iPhone input.

linky

Add an amp

linky

And am pretty sure you could run speakers to where you want.

You could then play music from iTunes via iPhone over the system. Not sure about from the iMac. Should be able to do it within budget.

I have no affiliation with car audio centre nor is this a recommendation for them, links used to show what is available other suppliers are out there.

Cheers

Another vote for car cd/ radio. I picked up a nice Pioneer bluetooth unit from Halfords for £99 (model DEH-4500BT.

It can connect to iphone via front USB or bluetooth. Bluetooth is handy as I can still use the phone while playing music. I have a good pair of car speakers set into the saloon wall which acts as a very large sound box so delivers better sound than my home hifi. Alos has pre-out connectors if you want to use a separate amp.

Can we draw a distinction please, between genuine 'hifi', and a reasonable-sounding music system?

Running anything from a computer or iphone is not going to result in hifi unless your MP3s are recorded at a bitrate of 320mbps or more, and even then, computers and the iphone are not designed for hifi reproduction.

I'd be interested to hear what any genuine hifi enthusiasts have installed in their narrowboats - I'm still stumped as to what to use!

MtB

Can we draw a distinction please, between genuine 'hifi', and a reasonable-sounding music system?

Running anything from a computer or iphone is not going to result in hifi unless your MP3s are recorded at a bitrate of 320mbps or more, and even then, computers and the iphone are not designed for hifi reproduction.

I'd be interested to hear what any genuine hifi enthusiasts have installed in their narrowboats - I'm still stumped as to what to use!

MtB

I would have thought headphones would be the best for hifi on a narrowboat, I just can't see speakers working in a metal tube.

I would have thought headphones would be the best for hifi on a narrowboat, I just can't see speakers working in a metal tube.

Agreed. I was more interested in front end stuff that is genuinely hifi, and runs on 12v.

MtB

They do for me.

I'm no expert but I like my music and a car radio just doesn't do it for me.

I took some advice and fitted the following:

For music on my Ipod Classic

Onkyo Digital Media Transport ND-S1

Power consumption 3.5W

Has the following jacks:

Optical; Coaxial; composite; USB; RI.

For everything else I have a Teac A-H01 digital amplifier:

Power consumption 34W

Max power output 60W + 60W (1KHz, JEITA)

Digital Audio Input includes:

RCA x 2

Optical

USB

No TV but I sometimes watch a video which I drive via my MacBook Pro and an LED Samsung wide screen monitor. Then I play the audio via the amp direct from the Mac using its USB input.

For radio I have a Roberts Vintage DAB/FM RDS Digital Radio which I feed via the Amp using the Optical input.

Everything outputs via two Dali Zensor 1 Speakers ( http://www.dali-spea...ZENSOR-1-1.aspx )

It works for me.

Edited by Joshua

I have a Sony Car system with an aux input and a couple of fairly large Xplode speakers. However, I rarely use it because it's a bit power thirsty.

Have-a-go sound system.

Option 2: bought 3 unhoused decently sized amps without transformers. One for the front of boat, one for the back, and one spare. We have a great hobbyist electronics shop in town and these amps were a fiver each. Connecting the 12v just after the rectifier diodes. Fit a 3.5 phono jack and feed all sound equipment into it. Works for me, gives a fair bit of body to any sound.

I've got an old Hi-Fi amp, but didn't feel like butchering that. Probably would need a little more than 12v to get its full range.

Edited by Higgs

Yes but that stuff is hardly hifi.

I'm inclined to go for some vintage 1970'sstruff. Bit the bullet and get an inverter, then install a Quad 33/303 amp, not sure what CD yet, and some classic Tannoy Dual concentrics. Maybe the Devons I have in my house at the moment. 12"HPDs should fill a boat pretty well I reckon.

MtB

MtB

Yep sloppy useage on my part... to tell the truth I'd also be interested if a 12v system worthy of 320 or Flac recordings is possible...I'd kinda given up on the idea

Agreed. I was more interested in front end stuff that is genuinely hifi, and runs on 12v.

MtB

I do like good sound reproduction (to me anyway), so have the following on board:

Musical Fidelity X Ray 3V CD Player

Musical Fidelity x-80 Amplifier (40 wpc RMS)

Dali Menuet 2 speakers (bi-wired) on stands

Black Rhodium speaker cables

Audica sub woofer (100w)

Also run the DVD and TV through the system (if on a land line!)

Tony

Yes but that stuff is hardly hifi.

I'm inclined to go for some vintage 1970'sstruff. Bit the bullet and get an inverter, then install a Quad 33/303 amp, not sure what CD yet, and some classic Tannoy Dual concentrics. Maybe the Devons I have in my house at the moment. 12"HPDs should fill a boat pretty well I reckon.

MtB

I have sonus system on the boat , very happy with it. Home has sonos working via Linn amp and speakers in living room. Currently listening to Algerian music via world music tag on last FM

Power consumption 34W

Max power output 60W + 60W (1KHz, JEITA)

Someone's telling you porkies, 120W from 34W does not compute.

btw I have a Supertooth disco (not the II) and it's the dog's bollocks. Although I hear the minirig is giving it a run for the money

Hifi nerds who spec high quality systems for boats and expect them to be flat are ignoring a lot about room nodes. You can't get proper reference sound in a 6 foot wide space, you'll also struggle to provide the kind of transient power demands true hifi needs.

The key to good sound in a boat is either crank the bass and don't care or have a small system and sit near to it.

Someone's telling you porkies, 120W from 34W does not compute.

btw I have a Supertooth disco (not the II) and it's the dog's bollocks. Although I hear the minirig is giving it a run for the money

Hifi nerds who spec high quality systems for boats and expect them to be flat are ignoring a lot about room nodes. You can't get proper reference sound in a 6 foot wide space, you'll also struggle to provide the kind of transient power demands true hifi needs.

The key to good sound in a boat is either crank the bass and don't care or have a small system and sit near to it.

I wouldn't know if they were Chris, so it's highly probable!

I was quoting from the manual on the assumption that other people would know what it meant! I note their web site give different figures again. - http://www.teac.com/...specifications/

I would like to know what you are talking about, 'flat', 'nodes' etc. and I would make the effort if I had an ear that could tell the difference but ever since a friend walked into my house some years ago and immediately commented (as if it was obvious) that I had the polarity of my speaker wires around the wrong way, I gave up! You either have the ear or you don't and I obviously don't.

I chose my system partly on advice but mostly on what sounded good to my ears compared to the alternatives I was offered.

I was quoting from the manual on the assumption that other people would know what it meant! I note their web site give different figures again. -

That quotes 22w per channel, the 120w will be more like Peak watts. Look for RMS at 8 ohms to compare amp power output.

I was quoting from the manual on the assumption that other people would know what it meant! I note their web site give different figures again. - http://www.teac.com/...specifications/

I would like to know what you are talking about, 'flat', 'nodes' etc. and I would make the effort if I had an ear that could tell the difference but ever since a friend walked into my house some years ago and immediately commented (as if it was obvious) that I had the polarity of my speaker wires around the wrong way, I gave up! You either have the ear or you don't and I obviously don't.

I chose my system partly on advice but mostly on what sounded good to my ears compared to the alternatives I was offered.

"Flat" means that all frequencies are equally loud; a cheap system will make some louder than others.

Chris actually means modes rather than nodes. At frequencies when a wavelength in some way corresponds to the width or length or height of the room then these frequencies are strongly emphasised. Just because a boat is long and narrow does not actually make it any worse than a house, but most boats have a lot of hard wooden walls and ceilings etc whilst many houses maybe have more curtains and soft furnishings. Hard surfaces will reflect sound rather more.

The moral here is that unless you want to turn your boat into an optimum "listening room" then its never going to justify the expense of a top notch HiFi system.

My own view is that cheap stuff sounds crap, there is some good stuff that is not too expensive, and beyond that its diminishing returns.

Even worse most of us are the wrong side of 50 so our ears are already pretty much fu... (worn out).

Anyway who needs HiFi to listen to the Archers?

...........Dave

and I would make the effort if I had an ear that could tell the difference but ever since a friend walked into my house some years ago and immediately commented (as if it was obvious) that I had the polarity of my speaker wires around the wrong way, I gave up! You either have the ear or you don't and I obviously don't.[/font]

I am like you and don't have to worry about it, if it makes a sound for me it will do, but I do know enough about it to know that you are not going to listen to Hifi on a narrowboat fed from an I pod.