Boat removed today

Tuscan

Featured Posts

What was the B-side?

Well, if the A-side was a shed the B-Side was for a long time a cheap white gazebo!

The boat has been hanging around Marsworth/Bulbourne/Cowroast overstaying for years and if the owner is in Portugal as rumoured he has not been made homeless (which CART would only do via a Court anyway) and he still owns his boat. Getting back from Stockton might take some time though.

I reckon Loddon is over optimistic about proper enforcement of the rules and after another short-term purge there will be political pressure on CART by the local councils and Whyat will either get SA and the Department of Stupid Ideas to come up with another crazy moorings proposal or will simply and quietly drop it all. Pity really.

N

I must be doing well then as its 5 months since I lost my job and I'm not close yet.

Oh and that's with no benefits as apart from JSA I am not entitled.....might get a bit harder when the mooring And licence are due hopefully things will Have picked up by then.

so you DO get JSA then ?

Sounds like you actually think you're ENTITLED to that?

so you DO get JSA then ?

I did for the first 2 months then took on a job that lasted a month and since then just been doing odd days work here and there, which makes claiming JSA somewhat problematic.

I did for the first 2 months then took on a job that lasted a month and since then just been doing odd days work here and there, which makes claiming JSA somewhat problematic.

Sorry for being judgemental. When I heard that I'm paying council tax in our marina (£90 a month) but some guy on benefits doesnt have to pay as much, I kind of went a bit nuts. I've just watched Breadline Britain on TV, and although I fully understand that when someone has no job, it can be demoralising, what none of those folk realise is...the gov gives them...money towards their rent, money when they arent working, the kids get free schooling, they get free medical services, and if they're a married couple and split up...they'll be given even more money! ..."

It absolutely boggles my brain that those people then turn around and say it's REDICULOUS that they havent got enough for luxeries.

eta...although if I fell on hard times, I would be VERY GREATFUL to receive as much help as possible.

rant over. I shouldnt rant..I have no real right to rant...I just dont understand how people think they are entitled to more if they havent got a job.

Edited by DeanS
  • Greenie 1

so you DO get JSA then ?

One is, of course, entitled to anything that you have a legal and legitimate claim to. Oddly enough, that's what entitled means. Generally, as far as benefits go, it means you've paid into the system for donkey's years and now you are usually being told your hard earned dosh was taken from you for no good reason. In this particular case, you can of course only get JSA if you're entitled to it. The problem with taking short term work is that it takes the benefit system months to sort out what you ARE entitled to, by which time you're up to your arse in debt and out of food. Usually.

The last thing anyone in this position needs is moronic sarcasm. I've already noticed the casual rudeness, aggression and ignorance that appears on here every now and then. It's a shame, because I haven't actually noticed it among the people I've met on the cut over the last thirty years. Hey ho. And buy a dictionary.

• Greenie 1

Sorry for being judgemental. When I heard that I'm paying council tax in our marina (£90 a month) but some guy on benefits doesnt have to pay as much, I kind of went a bit nuts. I've just watched Breadline Britain on TV, and although I fully understand that when someone has no job, it can be demoralising, what none of those folk realise is...the gov gives them...money towards their rent, money when they arent working, the kids get free schooling, they get free medical services, and if they're a married couple and split up...they'll be given even more money! ..."

It absolutely boggles my brain that those people then turn around and say it's REDICULOUS that they havent got enough for luxeries.

eta...although if I fell on hard times, I would be VERY GREATFUL to receive as much help as possible.

rant over. I shouldnt rant..I have no real right to rant...I just dont understand how people think they are entitled to more if they havent got a job.

Understand where you are coming from, but you cant point that gun at me. Since 1969 8 weeks JSA and thats it!

Everything I have here has been earned not given.

The last thing anyone in this position needs is moronic sarcasm.

Yep. I apologised. I dont know Loddon. I finished watching Breadline Britain 20mins ago. On the other hand, Loddon did seem to be taking some pleasure in the demise of someone else. I'm not a sarcastic or judgemental person, but I do slip up occassionally.

What if they think they are entitled to a job, but none is forthcoming?

The guy in Breadline Britain said he had no job. He lived in RedCar in the North East. I have been there. It is a ghost town. He only stays there because he has some support from his family in the area. He should really look for work elsewhere.? He looked ok to me. Roof over his head. Heating. Food. He still slated the government though...which is the bit I fail to understand.

Good on you Dean for your last comment - your earlier comment was certainly not in your usual style and I did wonder where it had come from. I agree with you its difficult to hear about how others may be getting something for less and whilst i think there are many who do not deserve, we have to remember those that do genuinely need that extra help.

I hope I never get into that situation that some find themselves in.

I don't know about this instance and to be honest don't care as it doesn't directly affect me

However I am pleased that CaRT have finally got off their backsides and are actually doing some enforcement, its 18 years late but better late than never.

Each to their own, lets hope your gloating remarks dont come back to haunt you. Cant put what I really think of your remarks on this forum. Your not worth getting banned for.

Benefits are not freebies. It's the deal we work by. Pay taxes while at work and have a perfect right to assistance when not. During my last stint of work, paid in about £65,000 in tax and didn't moan once.

I think I'm talking more about people who have never worked in their life, get paid by the Gov for everything they need, and then still moan.

I think I'm talking more about people who have never worked in their life, get paid by the Gov for everything they need, and then still moan.

It;'s a TV programme. The producers were probably looking for a villain figure. They will have been rubbing their hands in glee to find someone who fits a stereotype and makes for entertaining telly. Not much interest in the majority of people who claim benefits that are working and trying to get by in difficult circumstances.

If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at the successive governments we've had. They are really appalling.

Not "Wild Willy Barrett", sometime partner of the sainted John Otway?

I know they're from the Aylesbury, so the location fits.....

MP.

Not terribly interested in who is on JSA or not, but, we saw John Otway on Monday evening at Viv Stanshall's 70th birthday celebration at The Bloomsbury Theatre. Sadly, his being dead meant he was unable to attend personally, but Rick Wakeman and John Otway were epic!!! As were the surviving members of The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

Very sad to see this boat go, in that it is definately one of the more characterful boats on the system.

Edited by Water Rat.

It;'s a TV programme. The producers were probably looking for a villain figure. They will have been rubbing their hands in glee to find someone who fits a stereotype and makes for entertaining telly. Not much interest in the majority of people who claim benefits that are working and trying to get by in difficult circumstances.

It was well worth watching. There was a young married couple who want to work to set an example for their child. They were contemplating seperating, because if they did, they would get about £800 more in benefits. I think the bottom wage should be increased so if someone works, they are always far better off than someone who doesnt. It's really unfair when people do work, they are no better off than those who dont. It's also madness that a married couple would be better off if they seperated. I personally know of a couple this has happened to, and now that they're seperated, they cant fix their marriage and live together again, because they cant afford losing the benefit payment.

Very sad to see this boat go, in that it is definately one of the more characterful boats on the system.

It's too good to scrap. I assume that the owner can claim it, sell it and settle CRT's cost of removal, ori if he doesn't CRT will auction and hold the monies for him. This is conjecture as I don't know the process but I imagine someone on here does.

Each to their own, lets hope your gloating remarks dont come back to haunt you. Cant put what I really think of your remarks on this forum. Your not worth getting banned for.

Compassion is a very easy emotion when you are not the one having to make the decisions/actions. If you were CRT what would you do with this guy? (generic, since I have no idea of the circumstances). Would you allow a free-for-all for people to moor and live on their boats anywhere they wanted to - I suppose a boating anarchy if you like, or would you have rules? If the latter, how would you handle those who decline to comply?

Compassion is a very easy emotion when you are not the one having to make the decisions/actions. If you were CRT what would you do with this guy? (generic, since I have no idea of the circumstances). Would you allow a free-for-all for people to moor and live on their boats anywhere they wanted to - I suppose a boating anarchy if you like, or would you have rules? If the latter, how would you handle those who decline to comply?

Several of us are working with CRT to help ease and prevent these situations. Thankfully, they are happy to work with us and use some of our input. The past few weeks have seen CRT look at other solutions and means of sorting these problems, and thankfully have steered away from the attitude lodden and a few others hold. I dont publish my ideas, but I put them to CRT, and they listen. Of course, any help, input or advice from canal users would be gratefully received by myself and the others. Feel free to offer your help :-)

Several of us are working with CRT to help ease and prevent these situations. Thankfully, they are happy to work with us and use some of our input. The past few weeks have seen CRT look at other solutions and means of sorting these problems, and thankfully have steered away from the attitude lodden and a few others hold. I dont publish my ideas, but I put them to CRT, and they listen. Of course, any help, input or advice from canal users would be gratefully received by myself and the others. Feel free to offer your help :-)

Mmm... A little cryptic if I may say so. Is there a reason why your ideas have to be secret?