BMC 2.2 leaking oil-is this normal?

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

I just cleaned out the oil bilge under the engine using sawdust-It worked very well!-That was on Friday-I looked at the bilge today and there is oil in it again about half the area 1/2 cm aprox-is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

Engines ahouldn't leak oil as a general rule. Seems you possibly have a leak somewhere. Check your engine oil level, do you have to top up regularly?

If there's a leak it's probably something simple a seal somewhere maybe. I'm sure some of the engine boffins will comment soon and might know more about your particular model engine.

I always found sawdust the best option for oil, if you still have a leak, chuck some more down there it will soak it up as it forms.

Engines ahouldn't leak oil as a general rule. Seems you possibly have a leak somewhere. Check your engine oil level, do you have to top up regularly?

If there's a leak it's probably something simple a seal somewhere maybe. I'm sure some of the engine boffins will comment soon and might know more about your particular model engine.

I always found sawdust the best option for oil, if you still have a leak, chuck some more down there it will soak it up as it forms.

Well as for topping up I have had the oil light come on before and it was very low-I have topped up since (about a month ago)-and noticed today the dipstick is now on minimum so it has dropped.

Well as for topping up I have had the oil light come on before and it was very low-I have topped up since (about a month ago)-and noticed today the dipstick is now on minimum so it has dropped.

oil leaks arent usually hard to find, follow the trial of oil up the the highest point. It will be close to there, sometimes it can pool and pour away from the source but you'll be close.

First place I'd check is the oil filter though, is it tight?

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Rusted sump? Be a bugger to see mind.

Front Crankshaft oil seal will result in wet pulley and belts.

Rear crankshaft oil seal will drip through gearbox.

Check cam follower covers for leaks and rocker cover.

Loose oil filter as mentioned

Check any fittings on sump for sump pump if fitted.

Cheers.

Couple more for you.

Timing chain cover leaking, any oil coolers fitted? If do check pipe work for leaks.

I just cleaned out the oil bilge under the engine using sawdust-It worked very well!-That was on Friday-I looked at the bilge today and there is oil in it again about half the area 1/2 cm aprox-is this normal? Thanks for any advice.

There are a number of areas where you can get a leak, bottom up!

Sometimes sump bolts can work loose and oil seep from the sump rim, same applies to sump plug or pump adaptor if fitted?

An old engine can have wear on the crankshaft oil seal, if happening, generally drips from the bellhousing? It may be worth checking the timing chain cover too, to see if that gasket is leaking or oil is seeping from behind the pulley?

The next point up is the fuel pump and tappet covers, sometimes oil seeps out where these are fitted, also check breather pipe if fitted?

If fitted with an oil cooler, any of the pipe joints can leak?

We are now if the area of leaks only when running!

Sometimes BMC's spray oil from the air intake, because of blowback or blocked breather?

Rocker cover and oil filler cap not sealed properly can result in oil seaping out?

Check the fitting where the sump pump (This is the usually brass affair that's used to pump the oil out of the sump when changing it).

I have come across oil leaks where the fitting work loose. :)

Thanks for all the info-the problem is I dont know much about this engine-I dont know where the components are you have mentioned except a few things like injectors etc-So what I will do is to photograph the engine and if you could help me identify where the components are such as the oil filter for instance, then I could try to trace-there is a definite oil leak as the bay is filling very slowly but it is filling again-also a very small diesel leak where the brass pipe enters the thing u pump where u want to bleed the system-I was told what it was but i cant remember! :blink: