Knots

geoffwales

Featured Posts

As there are so many ways to do so many things on boats and as long as you find a method that works for you what does it matter what knot or method you use? As long as the boat doesn't go anywhere of its own accord all will be well...

and on the muddy ditch, that's not likely to be far.

Also has the advantage that they can be tied and untied under tension.

.... and even if the line is frozen it can still be unfolded easily.

If I am leaving the boat for any length of time tied to a bollard on the bank, especially in an iffey area, I usually take the eye of my line in a doubled turn around it which makes it very difficult for some oik to lift off while there is any tension on the line. Other ways would be to put a cable tie around the eye, close to the bollard, which has to be cut to get the line off again, or a lark's head works well too. That is the one where you reach through the eye and pull the splice back through to form a loop.

Interesting observations about knots either slipping or jamming. We spent 10 years moored on The Broads and I worked at a riverside pub with moorings outside and adjoining these moorings were public moorings on the Staithe. I always carried a knife because the river was tidal and if I had a pound for every boat I had to cut free I could have retired earlier. Hirers not used to rope work and terrified of losing their boat would tie with any sort of knot they could make up, hard to untie under normal conditions, impossible when under load.

Phil

Strangely I find a clove hitch on a dolly is much less likely to jam than one on a straight pin or post. Perhaps the shape of the dolly affects it? If I ever use a clove hitch, and I often do on the stern dolly, I finish it off by looping the rope back around in one turn of a boatman's hitch, and that also seems to ensure that it neither slips nor jams

Interesting observations about knots either slipping or jamming. We spent 10 years moored on The Broads and I worked at a riverside pub with moorings outside and adjoining these moorings were public moorings on the Staithe. I always carried a knife because the river was tidal and if I had a pound for every boat I had to cut free I could have retired earlier. Hirers not used to rope work and terrified of losing their boat would tie with any sort of knot they could make up, hard to untie under normal conditions, impossible when under load.

Phil

Good job Broads boats don't have center lines or you would have worn your knife out.

Armco I either use piling hooks or chains and rope up as a ring.

Others will differ.

I call them pile hooks. My vet son says that it sounds like a name for and instrument used in a rather unpleasant procedure.

N

norman, an old retired sailor, puts on his old uniform, and heads for the docks once more for old times sake, he engages a prostitute and takes her to a room

he is soon going at it as well as he can for a guy of his age, but needing some reassurance, he asks "how am i doing"

the prostitute replies "well norman, old sailor, you are doing about 3 knots"

"three knots" he asks " whats that supposed to mean?"

she says " your knot hard" "your knot in" and "your knot getting your money back"

:P:lol:

Where do you moor when you are offshore?

To be honest I haven't sailed on an offshore yacht that has a dolly - All have had cleats. Clove hitches are mainly used to secure the fenders to the safety rails when in port.

Most pontoons have cleats as well. Some harbours have mooring rings as do piles when they are used for mooring, and always the mooring rope is secured on the boat. Bouys are also used for mooring e.g off Yarmouth IOW.

I am not sure whether your question is tongue in cheek? But I have moored in Lulworth Cove using the anchor.

Edited by Ray T

Friendly Moorhens are usually on duty for the purpose of helping you with mooring up and very willing help they are too. With their red beaks and squark will keep nasty Swans at bay that can interfere by pecking your hands whilst fumbling about with knots or trying to break your arm with their wings. They are also adept at clambering about on and among twigs, reeds and things to convey your mooring rope to the bank for you. In fact anything for a crust of bread, the liddle divels. :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1

To be honest I haven't sailed on an offshore yacht that has a dolly - All have had cleats. Clove hitches are mainly used to secure the fenders to the safety rails when in port.

Most pontoons have cleats as well. Some harbours have mooring rings as do piles when they are used for mooring, and always the mooring rope is secured on the boat. Bouys are also used for mooring e.g off Yarmouth IOW.

I am not sure whether your question is tongue in cheek? But I have moored in Lulworth Cove using the anchor.

Perhaps just slightly tongue in cheek! B)

Lulworth is lovely; I used to be a regular visitor many years ago, and it's a great place to anchor if the wind isn't from the South. I am not sure that I would describe it as "offshore" though.

I'm a non-conventional heretic and always use a clove hitch on our tee studs

I know it's wrong and unboatmanlike, it works though

Richard

I agree because I am not clever enough to learn the boatmens hitch just when as I was driving lorries I could never get the hang of the lorrymans hitch. As a climber I learn't all sorts of useful knots and these work for me. The only time I've seen a clove hitch jam was on a boat coming up a lock who tied on using one with not enough spare rope so the weight of the boat as it listed came on it. Lowered the lock and freed it easily. As for slipping, put two loops around before the clove hitch, yet to fail me. (Other more secure knots are available).