'ELEMIAH's First Extended Cruise

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Hi Bottle,

thanks for that. Mo, having 2 cats, has set aside some cat litter for me to take to the boat in addition a friend at work has access to some really clever stuff, normally used on aircraft, that mops up the spills and is simply lifted out.

On Sat 16th we set off on the second week of our cruise. We reviewed the plan for the second week in light of our friends not being able to make it and decided that we could hack it. So the plan remained: In to Birmingham then Fazely Jn, Fradley Jn, Gt Haywood Jn, Autherley then Audersley Jns and finally Stourton Jn back to Brierly Hill a total of 101 miles and 93 locks easy peasy!!!

CanalPlan AC would have us cruising from Alvechurch to Aston Top lock (8 hrs travelling). We set off at 10.00 and wound by the boat yard spray booth; our plan was to go to Brum and moor overnight at the moorings by the top of Farmers Flight. Having asked to breast-up alongside an Alvechurch Hire boat (it was being serviced ready for a weeks hire) to take on water – we were denied: ‘should be able to get on the water point about 3 o’clock mate’. So we cruised to Hopwood Bridge water point.

The journey into Brum was without incident and we crossed the Worcester Bar around 15.00 and, as we turned for Farmers and the moorings who should be taking on water – the Aussies. They had moored the night in Gas street and had not enjoyed the experience – at some stage someone had broken off their Australian flag from the tiller arm. To be honest we did not find the almosphere very welcoming and, having moored up changed our minds and decided to press on. Thus we ended up ‘chasing’ the Aussies down Farmers and, without trying, we gradually caught them up. Exited the Farmers bottom lock at 17.00 and pressed on for the Aston flight. Although we had caught the Aussies up in Farmers they pulled ahead and, with fatigue setting in we lost them as we worked through the Aston flight. It was only as they disappeared into the distance that I realised that they needed to moor before Salford Jn (those of you ‘in the know’ will be aware that from Salford Jn on you have to travel a fair distance before finding reasonable moorings).

As we passed the private moorings at Cuckoo Wharf I realised that the waterpoint moorings were available so we reversed and tied up. There were some fairly confusing signs referring to the time limit on moorings but, as it was dark, I decided to stay for the night. The security guard wandered over and I thought there would be a bit of ‘Jobs worth’ but no – he only wanted a chat to break the monotony of his shift. Not a bad mooring and – if you look hard enough – a shore line. Thus, over several beers, we completed the first day of week 2.

Sunday 17th, 09.35 and we were off, the weather continued to beggar belief – yet another warm and sunny day. We passed Salford Jn turning right along and under the M6 – I half expected to see the Assies but it was not to be. We wound our way steadily out of Brum and reached Minworth top lock at 10.40 no specific plans today although the ‘Dog & Doublet’ was definitely on the itinerary. We also planned to hit the Tescos? at Minworth for an uplift of provisions (particularly the ‘own brand’ sherry!!). However, this was not to be – no shopping trolleys preventing us from mooring this time - just one and half miles of fishermen spaced at 15 yard intervals including the moorings outside the little canalside pub (name escapes me). Well the first third got ‘center of the cut at tickover’ the rest got 1100RPM – I was not particularly amused that even the pub moorings were occupied (mental note – contact BW to see if the fishing club might review their policy so other canal users can share the facilities). We passed Wiggins Hill Bridge before the club fishermen ceased and then it was casual fishermen well spaced out. By this time we were so far away from the supermarket that we decided to pres on (we had done a walk from the same place on a past cruise, so knew just how far it was!!).

For those of you not great fans of spiders (and I include myself in that list) Curdworth Tunnel is a place to avoid, only 57 yards long the whole of the roof is matted with spiders web nests!! :) I think it would take an awful lot of conkers to clear that place. On my CanalPlan itinerary it has been renamed ‘Spider Tunnel’.

We arrived at Curdworth Top lock at 1215, what a very pleasant place – shame it is just a short distance from the M6 Toll road. We were met at the lock by a very nice young man who helped open and close the gates and ‘who’s dad owns this canal’!! we worked our way down Curdworth flight with a blue cloudless sky and moored adjacent to the ‘Dog & Doublet’ at 14.30. Who should be there but he Assies plus a UK based cousin and husband of one of them. Sunday was declared a friday with immediate effect and beers (and champagne as it was the birthday of one of the Aussies) quaffed :rolleyes: . We had visited the D&D on at least 2 previous occasions and the difference between a cold winters mid week day and a balmy Sunday lunchtime was legion! Getting a drink was slick enough but the waiting time for food was getting on for an hour so Mo disappeared into the boat and rustled up an omelette in quick time. We decided to call it a day – why not, we were in no rush. So we had completed 27 miles and 35 locks of our second weeks cruise.

Edited by TeeELL

There will be a slight delay in completing the next days cruising! I've been away over the weekend and will be attending a 'Career Transition Workshop' over the next 3 days. I have the time to type the report today but, having read through the 'journal' there are some MUST submit photos to go with it.

Here are a couple of photos that should have been included in my 'post no 20'.

1960NB01.jpg

This is a photograph of the horse drawn narrow boat upon which I caught the bug - the date August 1960. I am not in the picture as I am standing 'behind the camera' and didn't have the foresight to get Paul (in the photo) to take a piccy for me.

Various2006021.jpg

46 years later and I am in the photo, shame about the building work in the background though!!

Ha ha, I've noticed that Pauls trousers are a little on the 'short' side back in 1960 and mine are most assuredly so!! :lol:

Edited by TeeELL

Here are a couple of photos that should have been included in my 'post no 20'.

1960NB01.jpg

This is a photograph of the horse drawn narrow boat upon which I caught the bug - the date August 1960. I am not in the picture as I am standing 'behind the camera' and didn't have the foresight to get Paul (in the photo) to take a piccy for me.

Various2006021.jpg

46 years later and I am in the photo, shame about the building work in the background though!!

Ha ha, I've noticed that Pauls trousers are a little on the 'short' side back in 1960 and mine are most assuredly so!! :lol:

is that your boat?

Another shot, moored on the Severn at Worcester, but without me in the way. Please note that the HUGE tunnel light is only temporary and will be replaced with a more modest chrome unit (this one only cost me £5 in Llangefni market).

Various2006031.jpg

Another shot, moored on the Severn at Worcester, but without me in the way. Please note that the HUGE tunnel light is only temporary and will be replaced with a more modest chrome unit (this one only cost me £5 in Llangefni market).

Looks strangely like landing light off a Jet Provost??????

Tony :lol:

Damn,

you didn't fall for the 'bought it in Llangefni market for £5'. Just don't tell anyone - with a bit of luck you will be the only one to notice. :lol: Sssssshh.

The tupperware thing at the back contains 'floating duck food' posh stuff! But there are surprisingly many ducks that turn their beaks up at it - wanting stale white bread instead!!

Monday the 18th and a bit of a slow start (not really surprising as yesterday was a friday!!). Stopped for water at Bodymoor Heath – a slow flow of H2O so it was 10.40 before we moved off again and on to Curdworth Lock 10 (Common Lock). This part of the cut is fairly familiar to us as ‘ELEMIAH’ was moved from Longwood Boat Club to Alvecote Marina this way, and indeed reversed this route back to Longwood Boat Club. We now have a few more photos of Drayton Manor Bridge.

IMG_0135.jpg

Our Australian friends had disappeared off on Sunday to get a ‘pump out’, just as well as the Coleshill Marina is closed on a Monday – make a note of that in your cruising guides!! We stopped at Fazely Visitor Moorings for 45 mins to get a few essentials. Why, oh why, oh why don’t I coordinate water points and shopping stops? Mind you there is not much in Fazely to be honest. Went passed Peels Wharf – very nice (we are on a continuous hunt for a canal side dwelling). Before long we were once again out in the countryside. The peaceful countryside? – No as we rounded a bend a gaggle of 4 very shabby and unkempt boats were moored with a ‘sound system’ balanced on the roof of one and a mobile petrol generator feeding the ‘lectrix. No licences displayed on any of the boats, no names and BW numbers partly obscured on 2 of the boats ho hum – it is only a couple of grand BW are loosing.

We passed through Hopwas and for the 'Pill box' spotters amongst you:

IMG_0136.jpg

and on to Huddlesford where we encountered our first ever set of traffic lights at the Huddlesford railway bridge, and just to prove it I have attached some photos.

Various2006044.jpg

Various2006046.jpg

Various2006047.jpg

During the day the wind had gradually been increasing and this was to prove a bit of an embarrassment as, a short while after passing the traffic lights, we had to negotiate a long left hand bend with a cross wind blowing us ‘out’ of the corner (ie from the left). Surprise, surprise a group of boaters had moored on the outside of the bend – despite my best endeavours I was pushed closer and closer to those boats – from the last but one boat I got a sarcastic ‘could you not get any closer?’ and to my chagrin I momentarily, and gently, touched the last boat. Boing, out of the hatch appeared the ‘lady of the boat’ who made an exaggerated gesture of looking along the length of her boat to view the ‘damage’ with a scathing look. Well I paid a fortune for my boats paint job and take due care – I bet if I had pushed the revs up, whilst I would have had more manoeuvrability, there would have been plenty of shouts of ‘slow down’. My top tip to them – don’t moor where the wind will blow boats into you.

We pressed on, passing Streethay Wharf just before 5PM. I had investigated the possibility of moorings there when first buying ‘ELEMIAH’ but the main road is so close that the noise is unsufferable. To those who do moor there – you have my admiration. Arriving at Fradley junction was a pleasure, being just ‘off season’ the usual breasted up boats outside the pub

IMG_0150.jpg

were gone and the left turn easy to execute, we had been beaten to the locks by a boat crossing from the left at the junction, but no matter. What was sad to see was the state of the shop next to the pub – someone had decided to throw white paint all over the frontage spoiling one of the more picturesque views on the cut. Whilst waiting our turn at the lock we took the opportunity to empty the Thetford cassette back at the elsan disposal point (I guess you really didn’t need to know that – on reflection).

Following the advice on CanalPlan AC we moored just before 7PM at Wood End Corner – a very quiet and secluded spot. For Snibble, Moley, Tomsk, Jill Wriggle and Bones we cracked open some tinnies and thus rounded off yet another friiiday.

For Snibble, Moley, Tomsk, Jill Wriggle and Bones we cracked open some tinnies and thus rounded off yet another friiiday.

Oh Dear!!!

Real beer doesn't come in tinnies :lol:

Thoroughly enjoying your story though, and glad to note that every day so far has turned into a Fridaaay, keep up the good work :lol:

Today we plannined a long days cruise – some 8 hours in total with the intention of gaining an hour/day so that we would give ourselves time to unpack in daylight – come the end of our adventure. So at 09.00 on Tue the 19th we were off on the T&M to Great Hayward.

Ooops! I hadn’t noticed that there was a lock just 8 mins away and breakfast appeared in the form of a sausage, egg and backed beans bap just as the lock did!! However, we managed baps and locks and were on our way to King’s Bromley by 09.20. Another note for your Canal Guides – King’s Bromley Wharf is also closed on Mondays. Now quite why we seemed to need to shop every day has now escaped me but stop we did at Hansacre Crown Bridge – 25 mins later, after quite a long walk to an indifferent ‘corner shop’ we were on our way once again. Yes, you guessed it – there was no water point so I had to stop later. We proceeded up around Rugely and had to wait at the eastern end of the former Armitage tunnel for some boats coming in the opposite direction shotly afterwards – the water point. Isn’t it surprising how much water we get through on narrow boats even with frugal showering regimes etc. I’ve had a new sender unit fitted for the water tank gauge and haven’t calibrated it yet!

Lunchtime we moored at the Rugely Visitor Moorings (Tan Yard bridge No 66) we had lunch and nipped into the Morrisons store for yet more supplies – we really are not organised - but then the corner shop had nothing we wanted.

14.30 and we are setting off, we passed over Brindley Bank (aqueduct over the Trent) 35 mins later and on to Colwich lock. This lock dear reader is so slow that it is timed with a calendar!! howsumever we finally escaped its clutches and sped ever westward arriving at Haywood lock No 22 at 16.50 hrs. We had planned to meet Ned and his wife for an evening meal (Ned owns CanalCraft – website Chandlery and the tiny unit opposite the Anglo-Welsh base at Gt Haywood Jn). Ned had got his dates mixed up and had phoned late the previous week to advise us accordingly – so we did not anticipate stopping at Great Haywood. Having turned left at Gt Haywood Jn and as we passed over the River Trent second Aqueduct I was gazing at the moored boats and noticed Rod Fox tying up ‘ENIGMA’ (Inland Waterways Cruising School) a quick exchange and the decision was made to stop. Fortuitously there was a mooring immediately so using my best skills we made a quick and neat job of mooring. The evening was spent on both ‘ELEMIAH’ and ‘ENIGMA’ but I’m not sure if Moley will allow me to declare it a friday as we supped on some rather delicious bottled beer :lol: .

I’m not sure if Moley will allow me to declare it a friday as we supped on some rather delicious bottled beer :lol:

I only had a problem with the word ‘tinnies’ and it's implication of Aussie so-called amber nectars, which bear little relation to beer beer beer, and thus The Fridaaay Feeling.

Permission granted, plenty of good real beer comes in bottles, Fridaaay authorised

:huh::lol: :lol: :P

Just for Tony Collins (and anybody else who is interested):

Cars003.jpg

A picture of a Strike Master taken at RIAT Fairford this year (2006) - I see that tubby git gets in the way again!! Carefull scrutiny of the centre light will reveal............ the source of my tunnel lamp - but maybe not???? :lol:

PS The Strike Master is a Jet Provost with attitude + bombs, rockets, guns, a BIG engine and all sorts of other boys toys.

PPS Those 'toys' in the photo are for show as this Strike Master (and indeed all Strike Masters) is a civilian aircraft which I fly on a private pilots Licence. More fun than the usual 'puddle jumper'.

Cars003.jpg

A picture of a Strike Master taken at RIAT Fairford this year (2006) - I see that tubby git gets in the way again!! Carefull scrutiny of the centre light will reveal............ the source of my tunnel lamp - but maybe not???? :lol:

PS The Strike Master is a Jet Provost with attitude + bombs, rockets, guns, a BIG engine and all sorts of other boys toys.

PPS Those 'toys' in the photo are for show as this Strike Master (and indeed all Strike Masters) is a civilian aircraft which I fly on a private pilots Licence. More fun than the usual 'puddle jumper'.

:lol: this is really interesting honey wasI there??????? :lol:

Yes sweatheart - you took the photo!!

Wednesday the 20th Oh my head!! For some reason we decided on an early start – poor bladder control I shouldn’t wonder. Any way the log informs me that we set off at 08.20 hrs (what sort of a holiday is this?). So onwards, ever onwards and low! The Tixall wide, a wonderous place where even the most incompetent Canal Time boater would be hard pressed to hit the sides or other boats!

Having negotiated Tixall lock No 43 we happened upon an unusual event. Those of you familiar with the habits of Herons will know that they wait until ones boat is almost upon them and then they launch to land ahead of the boat once again!! This is then repeated (presumably until a boat comes the other way and they return to their ‘patch’ ???) Well, on this occasion the Heron didn’t do as seen so often before, No! this one just sat and ignored us, almost pointedly so. We were so astonished that the cameras remained un-reached for.

Well, the next important event, according to my log, takes place at Deptmore Lock – with a supporting photo taken at 10.45!! I’ve looked but I’m blessed if I can find a photo taken at 10.45, even plus or minus half an hour! So my friends it seems that I have spoofed myself.

Now, those of you who have followed my snippets on various threads these past couple of years, will know that I normally park a kettle on the Squirrel to keep a supply of ‘free’ (sic) hot water. The kettle, however, is not the most user friendly and: a. the handle gets hot and b. you have to press a button to open the spout – the button is in the steam stream!! So we planned to stop at Midland Chandlers (nr Penkridge) to see what they had to offer. So we are approaching Park Gate lock and Mo disappears to do her stuff in preparing the lock, I am thumb in bum and mind in neutral (to quote an RAF expression) so I enter the lock and wait as it fills. Mo is gesticulating madly – I think ‘no I’m not on the cill – we are going up’ and other such thoughts. Finally through the mashed potato of my brain I realise she is pointing out an elderly gentleman who is assisting with the lock. Well, bowl me over with a wet tissue, if it isn’t Albert Harmon (of Water World fame) someone who has helped us in the past and who we regard as a dear friend. Albert is a ‘hobbler’ well capable of assisting boat men whether it be with horse, lock or whatever. He is an extraordinary soul with a passion for the canals that leaves the rest of us in ‘long trail’. Albert helped us through the Ganzi 7 and Perry Barr flight back when ‘ELEMIAH’ was still ‘PAPA LAZAROUX’ and there was a half inch of ice on the cut. IF YOU EVER NEED ANY HELP NEGOTIATING LOCKS in the greater midland area let me know, and I will put you in touch with Albert – and you will have a friend for life.

Bye the bye – Midland Chandlers had suitable a kettle but at an exorbitant price!! We shall stay 'scalded' for now.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, we moored and spent 25 mins at Midland Chandlers – 20 mins with Albert and the rest in the shop!! Pressing on we worked up into Penkridge itself and, for once, we combined shopping with a water stop!! We moored outside the sanitary station at 14.00 and, whilst Mo disappeared to the shop I connected the water hose and emptied the cassette (sorry – too much information). At 14.30 we were off again (most importantly our supply of draught Guiness was topped up).

If you have followed the cruise diary you will know that we were held up at the Tardebigge top lock by a lemon who left his fenders down. Well, for those of you still unconvinced of the folly of this practice, we arrived at Filance Lock No 37 – once again a boat was in difficulties having LEFT THE FENDERS DOWN. I leave you to draw your own conclusions on this practice – but I’ve changed mine!!

Onwards on our southerly and homeward bound track. We stopped at the boat yard immediately above Gailey lock. By ‘eck, mooring was a challenge!! We had a strong wind blowing us off the mooring – so strong that I was unable to ‘haul her in’ using the centre mooring – we had to see-saw between the front and centre mooring. Why not the rear you ask ?! I just couldn’t do it, initially because of the position of the mooring bollards. The crew of an arriving Anglo Welsh boat said – ‘it doesn’t matter if you hit us – it’s not ours!’ to which Mo replied – ‘it does – this IS ours’!!!!!! Anyway, after a bit of a struggle we made it and uploaded just short of 55 litres of finest ‘red’. A quick calc showed that we were using just over 1.5 litres/hours cruising.

We pressed on and finally moored by the Anchor Inn Slade Heath at 18.30. Delighted to say that suitable booze was consumed and that this could, once again, be declared a friday.

Thanks indeed for that, I, as a mere civilian thought that all the Jet Provosts I paid for were trainers.

Er, I still reckon the "light source" lineage is open to debate, and despite your protestations, It was the Llangefni link that gave it away - isn't there an RAF establishment near there?

Hope you enjoyed your cruise, - did you link up with Allie & Bill? I will be seeing them on Saturday so I will be passing on good wishes from others then.

Tony :lol:

What's this about a puddle jumper? I'll have you know that I once flew a Cessna 172 All the way from Coventry to Silverstone, ( but he wouldn't let me land it!) without hitting anything at all.

Edited by tony collins

Hi Tony, the Jet Provost was retired from military service in the 80's and all those that you see at air shows etc are civilian. I have flown 2 civvy JPs, one based at Blackpool and, more regularly, the Jersey based JP that regularly flies out of Hawarden.

JP5.jpg

JP7.jpg

These are photos of G-BWSG taken in the vicinity of Cader Idris, Wales earlier this year ( being flown by yours truly!) on 23rd May according to my log book.

Doubtless this deserves a :lol: but who cares - it's my cruise diary. So now you must be suggesting that the source of my tunnel light is the Hawk!!

W4mod.jpg

This is most definitely not me as the aircraft is fitted with weapons pylons so it is a 19 Sqn aircraft rather than a 208 Sqn aircraft – but it shows the landing light off well. (The landing light is turned on at low level to increase the visibility of the aircraft to birds as much as to other aircraft).

I anticipate meeting Allie and Bill next weekend, when they visit Broadway. Bill and I have much in common it seems - Military pilots, motorcyclists and so on.

As for 'puddle jumpers' well they are OK but landing jets is just such a breeze compared to trying to persuade a Piper Warrior that it wants to land!! Give me a jet any day - the F4 Phantom was my favourite without any doubt - I could cream that onto the runway without waking my navigator!! I've just tried to find some photos of the mighty F4 but I need to scan some of mine.

The morning of Thurs 21st Sep was a glorious one with bright sunshine and no wind – a wonderful day to be boating. We cast off at 08.35; today was to be a long haul because we wanted to eat into Fridays schedule as much as possible. Despite the weather we saw no Kingfishers or any other interesting wildlife for that matter – by 10.00 we were passing Autherly Junction and 15 mins later Aldersley Jn.

IMG_0162.jpg

A narrow boat at Aldersley Jn about to start the climb up through Wolverhampton.

We continued on down the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. The Herons we saw did the ‘usual’ trick of launching just as the boat reached them and, to our surprise, the local duck population treated the floating duck food with extreme suspicion!

At 11.10 we reached the Lime Kiln Chandlers and, for once, we multi tasked – taking on fresh water and visiting the chandlers – no food shopping as we were ‘finishing off’ our stocks. In the end we bought nothing and so continued on our way at 11.25. I have few notes on my journal for this stretch of cut, I seem to recall that it was quite picturesque and we spent much of the time simply admiring the views. We passed through Wightwick Mill locks and Dimmingdale Lock No 28 – exiting that one at 12.50.

IMG_0166.jpg

This, I think, is Ebstree Lock No 27 and I am carefully checking the clearance between bridge and chimney before exiting the lock - close but OK.

IMG_0169.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong - but this is Awbridge Lock No 26 which is immediately prior to Bratch. Smething tells me that I need to check the camera settings when I drag it from its case!!

About an hour later we arrived at the top of the Bratch Flight. As it was ‘off season’ the lock keeper was operating a one down/one up policy and we therefore had a 30-minute wait – so it was lunch and beer and a look around the lock. Being such a nice day meant lots of gongoozlers – mainly elderly folk, so we spent some time explaining the operation of the locks (it also gave us the chance to mentally rehearse their operation before starting the descent). Eventually it was our turn we started at 14.15 and exited the bottom lock at 14.35.

IMG_0488.jpg

Leaving the top lock.

IMG_0490.jpg

Using our 'semi-single handed' locking technique to open the gate.

Mo decided to cycle on to the next lock (Bumblehole) and subsequently on to Botterham lock, I steered ‘ELEMIAH’ onward until Houndel Bridge No 45 where I had to wait 5 mins due to major dredging operations

IMG_0172.jpg

another delay took place near Giggetty Bridge where the dredged material was being used to infill the new sides of the cut. I reached Botterham Staircase locks at 15.30 and 10 mins later we were out.

IMG_0173.jpg

A picturesque, but very leaky set of gates at Botterham staircase.

According to CanalPlan AC we were due to stop for the night immediately after Marsh Lock No 19 but we decided to press on.

Through Swindon and Hinksford locks and we finally decided on a tea break (sorry Moley, Snibble, Bones etc but we don’t always drink beer!). We stopped at Hinksford Aqueduct for a brew and 15 mins time-out. I have a note that we subsequently stopped just before Greensforge Lock No 16 and took on water!! (Or at least I have put a cryptic ‘Moored 17.10 H2O’ there). Whatever, we entered Greensforge Lock at 1725. Thirty mins later saw us at Rocky Lock we then did Gothersley lock before finally mooring 100 yards short of Stourton Jn at 19.00. A bit of a long day so we retired for a few beers and started to pack away all the stuff that we would need to remove from the boat tomorrow.