'ELEMIAH's First Extended Cruise

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Well, tomorrow (apart from Beer, beer, beer) we have a 1½hr drive up to Brierly Hill to load 'ELEMIAH' ready for our 2 week cruise. Kinver Boat Services have done a considerable amount of work to the interior, although a great deal more is required to complete, and all the 'services' are operational - mind you 'ELEMIAH' has been on that mooring for months now so I am taking a substancial tool box with me!! A wedding invitation for Saturday means that we have to dash off to Warwick (so we won't be going anywhere friday :blush: ). So first thing Sunday morning it'll be off for a fairly hard run to Wolverly to meet Moley, hopefully, in the local pub. Thereafter it will become significantly more peaceful as we have 5 days to complete a 3 day cruise to Alvechurch. I am hoping to meet an old friend at some stage, as he is taking his boat back to his moorings near Droitwich during that period.

At Alvechurch it will be a nice meal in the canal side pub with friends from Alvechurch and the couple who are joining us for the second week. The plan is to go back to Brierly Hill via Fazeley Jn, Fradley Jn, Great Haywood Jn (meal with Ned of CabinCraft planned) and Stourton Jn. A steady paced cruise that will get us back to Brierly Hill on the Friday evening - that gives us Sat morning to either, finish the cruise if we have been held up or clear the boat ready for KBS to resume work.

I hope to be able to update this daily, either by using my iPaq and mobile phone or, more likely, texting Moley who will do the honours for me. I will maintain a journal of the adventure and fill in the details on my return!!

So first thing Sunday morning it'll be off for a fairly hard run to Wolverley to meet Moley, hopefully, in the local pub.

And indeed thay did. Hastily loaded up the boat and away.

It's not too far from Brierley Hill down to the Staffs & Worcs, but there are quite a few locks to negotiate, in fact you're straight in to a flight of 16.

Got a message about teatime that they were in Cookley, approaching Wolverley, but give them time to tidy up a bit and stow a few things away, so I drove up to The Lock at Wolverley (I've said it before, aren't canalside pub names inspired?) about 7pm, met up with Tony and Mo and was given the tour of Elemiah, which is looking great from the outside, still quite a bit to do but shaping up nicely on the inside.

A beer-and-a-half duly followed, but unfortunately I still had a short drive home, so had to leave it at that.

Still, was nice to meet up again, and will relay progress reports if anyone else is likely to cross paths with them.

excellent! I am delighted they started off their cruise in good fashion and enjoyed a stop off at the pub!! I hope they enjoy the rest of the cruise, the weather is going to turn tomorrow, but that will yield some lovely moody views over the fields.

Edited by Bones

Looks like they're having a lazy day today (only about 5 miles, 5 locks).

Message from Tony:

Plan today is to go only as far as Stourport and tackle the River Severn on Tuesday. Outside Sainsburys (Kidderminster) at present, will look out for Tesco trollies

(Tescos is farther on, and our pound holds the UK record for number of shopping trollies fished out by BW. Tony is planning to moor opposite our boat for a quick walk to B&Q, and I've warned him about trollies, one in particular in that area, handles are just visible above water, BW are aware, but it's only been there 3 months :blush:).

Progress update from Tony (not that they seem to be making too much, just enjoying pottering).

Currently moored at Dunhampstead on Worcs & B'ham and off to the Firs 4 beers l8r.

Last nite imbibed with Aussies on a Roses n'bt at the Commandery moorings just above Diglis.

Beer tasting continues a pace and we r enjoying 'no pressure' cruising at 1200rpm.

Blimey, is Tardebigge going to be a shock to their systems or what?

Should someone tell'em there are no pubs between Stoke Pound and Alvechurch?

I take back everything I said above.

Message received yesterday, 21:41

Challenging a 2day, set off frm Dunhamstd 0815 Stopped 4 water at Hanbury jn. Then walked in2 Droitwich 4 shoppng. Moved off 1315 as torrential rain subsided. Collected conkers due to spider plague! (I've said he'll have to explain that one on his return) Decided 2do Trdebig lox, done in 3hrs - met no other boats.

I replied, praised their progress, and pointed out it was nearly Fridaaay, hoped the beer testing was continuing, to which: Beer beer beer! Let's hear it 4 Fridays

And another, just come through:

Today was a tidy up and servicing day. Moored just short of Alvechurch and cleaned and polished. I changed oil and filter - oil 10 mins, filter 2 hours! Christine from CW forum passed - 1st other person we have met. Eating in Weighbridge.

So there you go, Fridaaay, Weighbridge at Alvechurch, beer beer beer on Tony :angry:

16 Sept, 21:34

G'day Ade, a starigfhtforward day. Left Alvechurch at 10, passed thru Brum and met the Aussies again at the top of 'Farmers' but lost them below 'Aston'. Moored at Cuckoo wharf at 7pm. Passed no boats through the locks.

16 Sept, 22:09

Despite 30+ conkers spread throughout boat, spiders prevail! Conclusion: the concept doesn't work!!!

I replied "You've completely lost me with spiders & conkers, full explanation on your return"

and got back: Spiders and conkers - a CW thread. Do keep up Ade :-) !!

I've just searched and found this, post 39

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...l=conkers&st=20

So Vesuvius, it would appear that Tony has tested your theory and found it lacking.

We passed NB Elemiah on Friday late afternoon as we overshot Alvechurch Boat Hire to have our 'Last Supper' below the yard, ready for the return next day.

Elemiah is certainly looking very smart on the outside - good luck with the rest of the fit out. It took a few minutes for me to register that it was a CW Forum member's boat, having spent the last week looking out for names I knew. As we passed by, Tony and his wife and I shouted brief greetings over the cut. (Sadly the camera was on re-charge)

Chrissie

Sorry, been falling behind in my duties. Message received Monday 10:05

Very leisurely Sunday. Moored by Dog & Doublet, Bodymoor Heath at 14:30 for beer. Did bits on boat. Will move off shortly.

Monday 22:45

Forgive lateness of txt. No great dramas apart from a couple of really pristine boats moored on a corner with the wind blowing directly in2 them - short of using lots of pwr and speed it was impossible not2get close. Met no other CWers.

We are now moored about a mile sth west of Fradley Jn. 2morrow on the T&M thru Rugely, Gt Haywrd Jn, probably end up just nth of Penkridge 2morrow eve.

I have said that I have been surprised how few forum members you meet (Jon, some stickers might help), so if anyone's on that stretch, look out for them and make yourselves known.

Not heard from Tony for a while, so sent him a message last night (actually, just a question mark)

Message received Thursday 09:30

Last night moored at Coven just north of Wolverhampton after a long day battling brisk winds - a 10hr day. Previous night spent at Gt. Haywood Jn, with Rod Fox and his wife - lots of beer. (that's ‘Enigma’, of Stourport boat handling fame, username and boat name the same). Today on our way to Flatheridge Bridge moorings. (where's that?)

Edited by Moley

Typical! I was at work yesterday afternoon and had reached that ‘I've had enough’ point. Got a message from Tony, 13:45, saying “Just waiting to descend The Bratch”, except I didn't hear it come through, and didn't find it 'til 7pm. So he came right past our works, and I could have escaped for 10 mins and gone and said Hi, but missed him. By the time I sent a reply they were already just above Stourton Junction.

Have sent a message this morning: “So is that it? Sounds like you've had a good run, but back to Brierley Hill today or are you going on to Parkhead for the weekend as you're almost there?”

Reply reads: “No Ade, that's it. We will be on moorings about 1pm. Clear the boat so KBS can finish the fit out. Presently on Stourbridge Canal approaching Wordsley Jn.”

Hi all,

very much regret that we are back on dry land :( . A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Ade for keeping you all informed on our progress over the last 2 weeks. I just wish I could have met a few more of you in passing but Moley, Chrissie and Enigma are 'logged' with beers shared with Moley and Enigma :( . It is back to the humdrum world of the office and my non-job next week but I took a print out of Nick's Canal Planner for the route and made notes (s'funny sometimes something very nearly momenteous - in a 3mph canal type world - happens and you forget to make a note of it!!). I have to say that the Canal Planner worked very well, even though we didn't always stick to it.

Look out for the log entries next week. Break out the rum rations.

Just as a taster:

Our 2 week cruise (or, more accurately 13 days) involved travelling 156 miles and 190 locks. I have calculated that the boat consumes approx 1.5 ltrs of fuel per hour and 'cruises' at a very leisurely 3MPH at 1200RPM. I have completed an oil change (approx 20 mins from start to finish) and an oil filter replacement (approx 2 hrs from start to finish!!) and must lose a bit of weight for scrabbling about under the counter when investigating the weed hatch!!

More to follow.

During the week preceding the narrow boat holiday I was doing a Health & Safety course at work but the evenings were spent packing and loading the car and trailer. I decided that during the 2 weeks on ‘ELEMIAH’ I would have time (weather permitting) to do some of the paintwork touch-ups, make some lock utility belts and other sundry tasks. In addition I needed to do an engine and gearbox oil and filter change and, in anticipation of mechanical problems, took a vast array of tools. All these plus the two Elite Furnishing’s chair/beds were lugged to the KBS site at Brierly Hill on Friday 8th Sep.

Loading the boat was delayed when the 240V system, that had been working fine the evening before, failed. A lengthy check through the system finally revealed the problem – a loose wire in the changeover relay; the boat has shore-line points at both the front and rear, the changeover relay senses which end the shore power has been plugged in and isolates the other end. Three hours later than planned the boat was loaded and ready to go. So much stuff!!!

Although the boat was ready we had to drive over to Warwick to attend a wedding and would not return to the boat until Sun morning. :(

Sunday morning 10 Sep was bright with just a little mist – the sort of morning that makes a photogenic scene almost anywhere on the inland waterways – except we weren’t on the inland waterways; no, we were at a country house hotel post a wedding and desparate to get to the boat. We packed, loaded the car and hit breakfast at 08.30 on the dot. We hit the road half an hour later and off to Kinver (to drop off the car) and Brierly Hill (to board ‘ELEMIAH’).

10.50, at last we were on our way, although the engine was running a little unevenly. According to CanalPlan AC we would be travelling from Black Delph Bridge to Lea Lane Winding Hole, a total of 10½ miles and 25 locks. In fact we planned to push a little further to make the pub by Wolverly Forge Bridge in order to meet Moley for a few beers.

The cruise along the Stourbridge Canal was uneventful and we hit the top of Stourbridge Locks at 11.30. Progressing down the flight we had to stop in lock number 4 to clear the prop – I’ve not made a note of what was cleared, I think it was just a build up of weed and rubbish that a drop of reverse couldn’t clear. We exited the bottom lock at 14.15 although we hadn’t really got into the swing of operating the locks as a team. In fact looking at CanalPlan we took only 15 mins more than anticipated (most of that taken up by the investigation of the weed hatch).

Some 45 mins later we arrived at the top of the Stourton flight, I lost track of things a bit as I have a timing of 55mins to Stourton bottom lock which is crossed out and re annotated at Stewponey Lock No 13. We reached Kinver lock at 17.00 (which we had last seen, from the car, at about 10.00 that morning!) – what a delightful stretch of cut in that area. Finally made it to Wolverly Forge Bridge and moored at 19.10. Moley came aboard to view the work being done to the boat – I feel a little guilty because my boat is being fitted out by third parties – Moley is doing wonderful work on his boat and it is all his own fit out.

After the ‘inspection’ we popped to the pub for a few beers, unfortunately Moley had had to drive to the pub so was limited but I had a couple of beers before Moley left and I went back to the boat.

So that was the end of the first day, we had a boat to tidy up, we had yet to get into the swing of things – but, as always, the fresh air and locks rendered us exhausted.

Edited by TeeELL

I see, so we're getting this cruise log in installments, a day at a time - could take a while.

Yes, the stretch from Stourton through Kinver to Wolverley is rather pleasant (sorry Tony, also Brierley Hill :(), we consider ourselves quite fortunate. The other way from Stourton through Gothersley / Greensforge etc. can be idyllic too.

It was nice to be able to meet up again, and get the ‘grand tour’ of Elemiah. Outside is looking very smart. I have to say I was slightly surprised at how much remains unfinished on the inside (then again, I don't know how long KBS have been on the job), but it's shaping up nicely, she's obviously been planned out well, and I hope to get the opportunity for another look around when they've finished.

I feel a little guilty because my boat is being fitted out by third parties – Moley is doing wonderful work on his boat and it is all his own fit out.

Now that's going too far. You're going to be spending considerably longer onboard than we are, therefore yours needs doing right. Ours is an old boat, I have the time but not the money and am fairly capable, I think I'm doing a reasonable job, all things considered, but that's as far as it goes.

After the ‘inspection’ we popped to the pub for a few beers, unfortunately Moley had had to drive to the pub so was limited

I got the distinct impression that Mo had had enough, didn't want to move far or do anything else, and was glad to see us adjourn to the pub. Although I only live about 2 miles from that pub, I didn't fancy the walk, and there are some serious hills so cycling's not an option, hence I was limited to a pint and a half, but it was a pleasant hour or two, thank you.

Don't keep us in suspense though, please continue the story.

Monday 11th Sep (the second ‘Friday’ of our cruise!) another great day ‘in prospect’ as they say on the telly. Hard to believe that shorts and t-shirts are the order of the day. CanalPlan AC had us scheduled to travel 20 miles and 13 locks mooring at Diglis basin (but we didn’t want to do that!!). So today is going to be a leisurely cruise to Stourport.

We cast off at 09.40 straight in to Wolverly Lock No 8 and exited Lock No 7 at 10.20. Our first port of call was Sainsburys which we reached some 25 mins later. I’ve not made a note of how long we spent in Sainsburys but we set off in due course to hit Tescos. We are partial to Pale Cream Sherry and, in our opinion, the Tesco ‘own brand’ version of Croft’s Original Pale is a decidedly superior sherry. However, we were not to be able to buy anything, let alone sherry, from Tescos. Taking heed of Moleys warning about shopping trolleys, we tried to moor outside Tescos – but, it would seem, that the 200+ trolleys fished out have been put back in to the cut! We called it a day after 3 attempts and moved on to Caldwall Mill Bridge No 14 and moored opposite Moleys boat so I could do a run to B&Q. Moley had invited us to pick some of his tomatoes, although I did go to his boat there were no ripe tomatoes. (It subsequently transpired that Lynne Mole had been to the boat before us!!).

We were now on familiar waters – well we had been on this stretch of cut before doing the Helmsman’s course with Rod Fox (nb ‘ENIGMA’ and ‘Enigma’ on this forum). We had been advised to try and moor before descending into Stourport basin as the visitor moorings are limited. However, the need to take on water and empty the loo cassette meant that pushing on, fingers crossed, was essential. As it turned out this was the right decision and we ended up the only boat on the visitors mooring by the water point and sanitary station. Although ‘ELEMIAH’ has a fully functioning shower, hot water is always at a premium so we took advantage of the BW shower facilities. For those of you who might think ‘dry old do on that boat’ let me assure you that that is not the case and we concluded this Monday friday in traditional fashion (not saying when we started!!) :(

Edited by TeeELL

Those of you who have read some of my other threads (ie TeeELLs Canal History) will know that my narrow boating bug was ‘caught’ in Stourport Basin back in 1960. So, having moved off moorings at 10.15 we moved a short distance to just above the broad locks for a photo shot. I had to explain to a BW employee the reason for mooring there as he was concerned that I was going to use the broad locks to descend on to the river. Probably the most difficult part of getting on to the river was getting away from the ‘photo shoot’ and turning for the narrow locks – I didn’t have my brain in gear and, although I hit no other boats nor used excessive burst of power the ‘about turn’ took a while. Anyway we exited the locks onto the river at 11.25. This was the first time (since 1960) that I had been on a river in a narrow boat but it was benign (hardly surprising since there had been no rain in weeks!!). The journey down river was uneventful although Mo managed to loose her very expensive pair of designer sunglasses over the side at Holt Lock No 2 – we discovered that not all plastics float!! We cruised as far as Sabrina Footbridge, arriving there at 15.10, so Mo could pop to a Halifax. We moved off again at 17.05 and on to Diglis. We turned onto the mooring point just below Diglis to set the locks and just as we moved into the locks a ‘Rose Narrowboats’ boat full of Aussies arrived from down stream. Together we worked through the locks and progressed through the Diglis Basin. Passing through Sidbury Lock No 3 we seemed to pick up something on the prop so we limped to the visitor moorings at The Commandery to check the prop and moor for the night.

Checking the prop I found nothing untoward so whatever had caused the problem had disappeared – the other boat had moored 25 yards or so behind us so I nipped over and invited them to evening drinks. I then decanted the 60 ltrs of diesel we were carrying from drum to fuel tank.

Once all the chores were done and a quick shower and brush up completed we were ready to great our visitors. Thus Tuesday degenerated into a friday!!

Tony,

We will be flying out early Thursday morning -- 48 hours from now -- on our way to pick up the boat for our holiday. (finally!) If you don't finish your travel log in the next two days, I want to hear the final chapters presented as an oral report next week when we meet! I believe you are deliberately teasing us.

I appreciate the hint about the Tesco sherry. I love sherry and I'll be sure to look for it when we find a Tesco along our journey!

Allie :(

Moley, Mo was indeed shattered and was more than happy to let us go to the pub. She has yet to gain confidence in driving 'ELE' into the locks or, indeed, through narra' bridge 'oles, as a consequence she did the lions share of the locking!!

Allie, I will try and do as much of my journal as I can (after all I've nothing to do at work) it is just that every now and then a 'superior' sniffs around and I have to try and find something to appear to be doing other than Canal World forum!! I'll break into Word again now and crack on with Wed's report. Hope to see you weekend 7/8 Oct otherwise when you go to Broadway.

CanalPlan AC was ‘out the window’ as we diverged from the itinerary because we had plans to meet old friends at Dunhamstead and we were ahead of schedule for Alvechurch. So it was a leisurely start from The Commandery at 09.25, the Aussies were planning a half day in Worcester so we didn’t anticipate meeting them again. ‘ELEMIAH’s stocks of Guiness were severely depleted! There are few notes for this days cruising so I guess we just enjoyed the views. We climbed back north towards the midlands and ascended the Tibberton (Offerton) locks before mooring for lunch at 1300. We seemed to be setting an unusual precedent – self catering away from pubs, this would have to be corrected.

Seems we had a lengthy lunch stop as we didn’t get going again until nearly 4PM but we had to cruise for less than an hour to reach Dunhamstead and our friends were a little behind schedule due to hold ups on the descent of Tardebigge/Stoke Prior/Astwood flights. Howsumever, we moored on the Dunhamstead Visitor moorings at 16.40. I know that we ate at ‘The Firs’ that evening although timings were all to bits as our friends had already eaten when we arrived – can’t remember why that was though. Ended up on the outside of a few Guiness’ so was able to declare it another friday!!

Thurs 14th Sep – started as a nice morning but deteriorated!! We kicked off at 08.15 as it was likely to be a long day and we had 40 locks to tackle! We did need water though and although I had been told to moor against the ‘wide beam’ at Hanbury I doubted it – at least until we got there! The gent on the wide beam (a chandlery) was the very person who, 2 years ago, had spent well over an hour talking narrow boats to me. Whilst taking water we went inside to look around and some little while later we felt/heard a boat pass – for some reason I thought it was the Aussies and rushed out to shout to them that ‘Rosie & Jim’ stuff was for sale. It was, they stopped and they bought – I think the chandler? was quite grateful as we had spent only a little and the Aussies more than made up for it.

We had water but needed provisions: beer, beer, beer for surely it was yet another friday? We moved beyond the Hanbury bridge, moored and set off to walk into Droitwich. Initially we walked down the Droitwich canal but after a few hundred yards this ceases and we had to hit the road. All the time it was getting darker and the rain ever more threatening – not to worry there were conker trees we would gather conkers in the rain and these would put paid to our spiders. We took about 45mins to do the 20min walk into town and collected some 30+ conkers (they must work ‘cos I didn’t find any spiders in my coat pocket). Lost Mo for quite a while in town, rain pouring down and she had my lunch! Typically my mobile phone battery had expired.

We ‘did’ Morrisons and phoned for a taxi to get us back to the boat, buy now the heavens had opened and Droitwich was gradually flooding. The rain started to ease on the drive back to the boat and we cast off once again at 13.15.

The first lock (Astwood Bottom lock No 17) is just half an hour from Hanbury but already the rain was all but gone and the skies were clearing. Our plan was to get to the top of Tardebigge before mooring for the night!!!!! I don’t recall seeing/passing any boats but I have a suspicion that a couple of boats may have passed us coming down the Astwood flight (Ginseng and Ginko Biloba clearly don’t work on my memory – Yes Bottle I did remember to take them!!).

The breaks between lock flights seem all too short (40 mins Astwood to Stoke Prior and 10 mins Stoke Prior to Tardebigge) but we were well into the swing of it. We used a form of ‘modified’ single handed locking with Mo working ahead on the foldup bike and, although we were not pushing it, we made good progress. We had to call a ‘time out’ at lock 46 though, we had run out of steam and needed a cup of tea and some chocolate to get our energy levels up for the final burst. (OK I know it should have been beer but tea seemed the right thing at the time and it certainly did the trick). So it was 18.15 when we started again. Near the top of the flight (locks 51 – 55 ish) there are a lot of plum and damson trees and Mo picked plums for a pudding.

Here is the truth – we didn’t actually complete Tardebigge on Thursday we made it to Dial house farm bridge (just beyond the ‘Pump House’) and just short of the last lock. I decided that a combination of fatigue and darkness made further progress hazardous. Finally we broke open the beers and celebrated the friday before Friday.

What a start to the day – firstly it is Friiiday so beer, beer, beer is on the cards again. We leave the mooring at 09.55 with Mo going on ahead. To our delight there is a boat coming down so I sit positioned in the pound ready to move in – but the boat is taking an age to exit the lock slowly it moves forwards and stops, much revving of the engine in forward and reverse, ropes are thrown and a crowd gathers to haul on the ropes – interesting, very interesting. At this point I decide to moor and see what is going on. It transpires that the boat was jammed because the pipe fenders had been left down. To cut a long story short, application of sharp knife plus a dose of reverse then forward and the boat exits the lock less pipe fenders (and, being the hard rubber ones, they have sunk). The boater on ‘ONLY FOOLS….AGAIN’ apologises – ‘not his boat, moving it for someone, didn’t realise fenders were down, been boating for 11 years ….sorry’. That bought it home to me as I have previously left pipe fenders down!!

By 10.20 we were through the last lock of Tardebigge and on our way. Stopped at Tardebigge Old Wharf for fuel (I wanted to ‘fill’ the tank so I could do a consumption check the following week) 15 mins later we were off again. This was probably our ‘shortest’ day as we moored near Scarfields Dingle Aqueduct, just short of Alvechurch at 11.45. ‘ELE’ got a thorough cleaning whilst I did an engine oil and filter change.

I have reported already that the oil change was simplicity itself, the ‘lift pump’ fitted was surprisingly efficient and I had 5 ltrs of old oil extracted in minutes. Now came the hard part – the ‘finger tight’ oil filter wasn’t and in addition is positioned in a very awkward place for getting to. A filter wrench (the rubber grip strap type) wouldn’t touch it and I was obliged to dig out a hammer and long screw driver to ‘tap it around’. How I detest the improper use of tools – but the job had to be done – and it certainly had to be done one I pierced to container. Well 2 hrs later I finally had the old filter off, the new one fitted and 5 ltrs of oil back in the engine. Unfortunately the engine bilge now has oil in it so next job….. At this stage I decided not to tackle the gearbox oil change.

It was a little before 5PM when a voice called out from a passing boat asking if I was a forum member. It transpires that Christine had spent a week keeping an eye out for other forum members and with her holiday drawing to a close had relaxed her vigile. She was all but passed when she recognised the boat name so our conversation was all to brief – it is surprising how quickly a boat passes and is gone – even at 2 or 3 mph!!

We had booked a table at ‘The Weighbridge’ for 7.30PM so moved into Alvechurch to moor – WRONG!!! We had to cruise all the way through Alvechurch and out to the Crown Meadow Arm to wind and return for a second try. It is a bit frustrating that so many moorings are allocated to ‘Permit holders’ etc in an area that could attract ‘passing boat’ trade. In the end I squeezed 57ft into a 40ft visitor mooring on the grounds that it was late and we would be off early the following morning.

A wonderful meal (highly recommend ‘The weighbridge’) with copious amounts of Fridays nectar saw the end of the first half of our cruise. The alert amongst you may have noticed that I’ve made no reference to the couple who were due to join us for the second week – unfortunately due to unforeseen family circumstances they had go to Plymouth and therefore week two would be just the 2 of us.