Otters in the BCN - how many are there?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Might sound odd but I understand that funding is being made available soon to help the Otter population in the BCN. Now I admit I have seen one, but he / she appeared to be just visiting and headed off to a pool nearby. My Uncle who regulary walked the Ganzes (Rushall canal) saw a pair in 2008, I understand there were complaints to BW about Koi going missing re this pair. So how many are there, have you seen any or this this just myth?

Madcat dons otter suit and changes forum name to mad otter. Being serious for a minute I have never seen one,theres plenty of rats though. Do otters see the rats off? could be handy to have them if they do.

There are quite a few mink about on river/canal systems. Can be mistaken for otters.

There's an otter near Norbury on the SU, I'm not going to point out on here exactly where it is, I'm pretty sure I know where it lives. I've seen it and they're bigger than you think, I thought it looked like a seal! Looking straight at me. I had my dog with me wandering around and I was concerned that if the dog noticed the otter, there might be a scuffle and the otter would win (My dog would just want to play). Its about the size of a Springer Spaniel with short legs.

Its the only time I've actually seen the animal, but I see the half eaten fish on the tow path a lot.

There are quite a few mink about on river/canal systems. Can be mistaken for otters.

yes, otters will see all wildlife off, where i keep my boat the otters arrived about 3-4 years ago and there has been a noticeable drop in all the resident wild life, mallard, coots, water hens, but on the up side they have also done away with the mink problem we were having