N/B Prince

tony collins

Featured Posts

The only answer would be to ask William Goldie, who was the works party organiser for a number of years before I took over. I dont know if he is still around or even still interested in canals. He went to work in London and promised to return regularly, but he just disappeared form the scene. I dont even suppose there are any pre 1976 members still alive. But I can tell you in 1976 it was not an Ice Breaker, not of the kind of description you have given of the Empress.

Lorna Thomas is still around, but she is not well at the moment. When circumstances allow I will ask her.

• 1 year later...

Found this thread whilst trawling through the archives and my reply is a little after the event but hey! Prince was moored at Cosgrove towards the end of the eighties with a reasonable hog to her. The couple who owned her also had the bow half of the butty Ironsides (which my father relieved them of) and the range taken from The Flower of Gloster when she made one of her regular sinkings along the Aylesbury arm. Next time I saw Prince she was skeletal in a field between Fenny Stratford and Stoke Hammond. Being rebuilt I was told. Then I heard that bits of her were near aylesbury in a shed so that'd tie in with the Jem Bates idea.

• 11 years later...

A very old Post, but I have a photo of the boat in question.

Bert Dunkley's Ex- Barlow boat 'Prince', tied on the outside at Suttons, 1968.  No idea what the middle boat was.

We had hired a cruiser from Blue Line, and took it into Coventry.  Bert suggested that we might like to join his clearing run, which we did.

I also saw her much later, badly hogged, somewhere up the Union.

Screenshot (95).png

Realise this is an old post Bert Dunkleys "Prince"was as  said wood ,there was also also an Ex FMC steamer lived on by a couple who's name escapes me at the moment at the stables on the off side below the bottom lock at Audlem he had it as a very early Hotel boat around 60ish

4 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Realise this is an old post Bert Dunkleys "Prince"was as  said wood ,there was also also an Ex FMC steamer lived on by a couple who's name escapes me at the moment at the stables on the off side below the bottom lock at Audlem he had it as a very early Hotel boat around 60ish

Paul H details three different working boats named "Prince" earlier in the thread....

On 07/09/2006 at 16:36, Paul H said:

I know of 3 ex-working motors called Prince that have been around in recent years:

Ex-GUCCC Royalty Prince in all steel - semi-converted and last seen at Wheaton Aston on the Shroppy in March.

Ex-FMC steamer Prince (iron sides formerly wooden bottom but maybe now replaced in steel) owned by Malcolm Webster (the restorer of Saturn) of Malkins Bank, Sandbach

Ex-Barlows Prince, all wooden badly hogged and in quite poor condition in the late 70s. This is certainly the boat once owned by Bert Dunkley. I feel sure it will have been broken up but you could try the HNBOC archivist Jan Deuchar via webmaster@hnboc.org.uk for confirmation.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Paul H details three different working boats named "Prince" earlier in the thread....

That would be the middle of the 3 you listed At the time I knew it it had a tired full length wooden conversion  early 60's