62-65 foot, Can't decide - craving input!

JLees

Featured Posts

Hi All,

My builder is waiting on me to give go ahead on the build between 62-65 foot - can't decide! Anybody got any thoughts would be much appreciated! Obviously internal space, finding temporary moorings, and also legnth restrictions (including to the East Anglia system) all playing a part, but I'm stuck on knife edge of decision! Thanks!

Hi All,

My builder is waiting on me to give go ahead on the build between 62-65 foot - can't decide! Anybody got any thoughts would be much appreciated! Obviously internal space, finding temporary moorings, and also legnth restrictions (including to the East Anglia system) all playing a part, but I'm stuck on knife edge of decision! Thanks!

What do you mean by East Anglia?

I would either go for a 60 footer - go virtually anywhere, or if space is a big issue, just bite the bullet and go for a 70ft'er. No point shilly-shallying about with a couple of feet which are not really relevant to future sale worth.

6t01b_1.jpg

Up the Nene and across the mid levels to the Cam, OK prob not technically East Anglia..... and having said that I've never done it - is it even possible?

I would either go for a 60 footer - go virtually anywhere, or if space is a big issue, just bite the bullet and go for a 70ft'er. No point shilly-shallying about with a couple of feet which are not really relevant to future sale worth.

Shilly-Shallying is right! But recent news of new addition to family has put me above my 57 ft limit.... so every foot just raises the spectre of not being able to find that overnight mooring spot.... any cc's out there with bigger boats who have an angle on this?

Edited by JLees

Of course it is, the 'Ducks' are in the process of moving a truly full length boat in that direction. So as matty has said don't piss about and either have a 60' boat or a proper full length one if space is an issue. Perhaps the forum can help you downsize, it is not a house you are having built after all.

Up the Nene and across the mid levels to the Cam, OK prob not technically East Anglia..... and having said that I've never done it - is it even possible?

Shilly-Shallying is right! But recent news of new addition to family has put me above my 57 ft limit.... so every foot just raises the spectre of not being able to find that overnight mooring spot.... any cc's out there with bigger boats who have an angle on this?

We are full length and deep but always manage to find an overnight mooring spot, buy the boat you want . Life is a compromise but there is enough of the system to explore whatever your length or width.

Hi All,

I had a 65 footer for a few years, it is a stupid length boat to have. I bought mine simply because I got it for a ridiculously cheap price. Far better to got to 70 foot and have the extra space for very little extra cost.

Tim

There is always somewhere to moor.

We have a 60 footer and it seems to have shed loads more space than any of the 57 footers I've been on, may be due to the lay out though.

Phil

Hi Phil

Last time I looked most 60 footers seemed to have about three feet more room than a 57 footer. ;)

Tim

Hi Phil

Last time I looked most 60 footers seemed to have about three feet more room than a 57 footer. ;)

Tim

Yes, but if you take away the bits that every boat has to have and express the 3 feet as a percentage of what is left then it can be quite significant.

Yes, but if you take away the bits that every boat has to have and express the 3 feet as a percentage of what is left then it can be quite significant.

Hi

Yes it also depends on fit out. i have lived on 42.......56.........57......65 and 70 foot narrowboats. At present i live on a fattie which is only 50 feet long but far more useable space than the 70 foot narrowboat. The fitout is the main factor.

Tim

I had a 65 footer for a few years, it is a stupid length boat to have. I bought mine simply because I got it for a ridiculously cheap price. Far better to got to 70 foot and have the extra space for very little extra cost.

Tim

Alas 65 ft is at the absolute upper limits of my budget.... :(

Alas 65 ft is at the absolute upper limits of my budget.... :(

Then undoubtedly there is more room in it than a 6o footer but you need to decide if the extra space is worth forgoing the lesser area of useage. :cheers:

Tim

If you're thinking of 60' so as to access the Calder & Hebble and the Huddersfield Broad, then beware. Although 60' is theoretically feasible, I personally wouldn't attempt going downhill in a 60' version of my boat. My rear deck is wide and squared off at the back so wouldn't tuck into the corner of the lock as well as some. When you're that that tight in a lock, the shape of the hull comes into play. My advice for a go-anywhere boat is to go no longer than 59'

Of course I'm sure the massive numbers of 57' and 59' boats around is for this 'go-anywhere' ability, but I'd be interested to know what proportion of those boats actually come this way? If realistically you aren't likely to be heading north, get the 65'.

If you're thinking of 60' so as to access the Calder & Hebble and the Huddersfield Broad, then beware. Although 60' is theoretically feasible, I personally wouldn't attempt going downhill in a 60' version of my boat. My rear deck is wide and squared off at the back so wouldn't tuck into the corner of the lock as well as some. When you're that that tight in a lock, the shape of the hull comes into play. My advice for a go-anywhere boat is to go no longer than 59'

Where were you when I bought my 60ft square cruiser sterned boat?