Extractor fan in mushroom vent

Featured Posts

On 19/03/2013 at 10:56, eightacre said:

Ours is via a separate switch. Clears condensation from mirrors surprisingly quickly.

Independent control means:

1. No need to make a noise at night.

2. Wife no longer has to say "I'd give it seven years..."

• Happy 1

"We" are getting an increasing number of relies to very ancient threads! This one is 2013!

It's reasonable to assume that the OP has solved the problem by now?

Is it a problem with 'modern technology' - folks viewing forums and only seeing  part of the display??

Or mebe not.....

On 30/10/2020 at 19:20, OldGoat said:

"We" are getting an increasing number of relies to very ancient threads! This one is 2013!

It's reasonable to assume that the OP has solved the problem by now?

Is it a problem with 'modern technology' - folks viewing forums and only seeing  part of the display??

Or mebe not.....

Might be the result of people actually using the search function, and failing to take notice of the date. Mind you, resurrecting this thread has been useful as an extractor fan in the bathroom  is something Mrs T has suggested!

52 minutes ago, Col_T said:

Might be the result of people actually using the search function, and failing to take notice of the date. Mind you, resurrecting this thread has been useful as an extractor fan in the bathroom  is something Mrs T has suggested!

I siolved mine from day 1 by putting a 'mainframe' computer fan inside the bathroom mushroom ventilator.  Still works xx years later.

• 1 year later...
On 18/03/2013 at 03:57, Don't tell him Pike! said:

I'm currently refurbishing the bathroom, at the moment it has a steam problem. this was previously vented via a gap on the back wall, but I've closed that off because of the...noise and smell that escapes from it (a friend of mine craps like a racehorse). This means you need to open the window when showering or you'll choke in steam, but this is a dawncraft with sliding windows and even an inch means potentially flashing passers by.

So...my proposed solution is to stick a mushroom vent on the roof and fit a waterproof 12v fan concealed behind the inner grill.

Is there any reason this might be a bad idea?

Also, been looking for a suitable on/off switch, without any success. A full size pull cord switch would look daft in that tiny room with three inches of cord on it and I can't find any mini ones. Anyone got any ideas?

I fitted a 12v computer fan from Amazon.  It's quiet and 15 mins after a shower in winter (with the bathroom door and window shut) all the steam had gone from the bathroom mirrors and the internal walls were dry.  Wired into the light circuit (low power LED so no issue with leaving light on when fan's running).  I quite often leave the fan on in the day in winter with the door open to dry air through and out of the boat.  All works a treat 😁

1 hour ago, DaveR said:

I was advised at the last BSS inspection that fitting an extractor fan to a ventdoes reduce the "air change" value for the calculations.

Correct, the area of the blade reduces the free space, I wold love to see someone work out how much by, The hub would probably be the biggest bit

2 hours ago, DaveR said:

I was advised at the last BSS inspection that fitting an extractor fan to a ventdoes reduce the "air change" value for the calculations.

That may be the case, but as the OP was suggesting putting a mushroom vent and fan onto the roof, presumaby as an addition, the vacant space between the fan blades will add to the "air change" value, not reduce it.