What have you lost in the cut?

canals are us?

Featured Posts

I lost my empty Thetford Cassette in the cut, and could be seen trying to coax it back with a broom. Also lost my cratch cover too and a lovely neighbour spotted it at the bottom of the basin. Quite a feat since they are both black....

That's a bit racist isn't it?

My glasses. We were gathering sloes on the offside and I took them off the top of my head in case they got knocked off by a branch, put them in my pocket and realized half a mile down the cut that they had fallen out of my pocket. Good haul of sloes 'tho.

My glasses. We were gathering sloes on the offside and I took them off the top of my head in case they got knocked off by a branch, put them in my pocket and realized half a mile down the cut that they had fallen out of my pocket. Good haul of sloes 'tho.

Serves you right for laughing at me at Northwich :P

A trailer, with a half ton lathe strapped to it.

In 6 feet of water.

Don't ask.

Both were successfully retrieved, and suffered no long term harm, but it took a couple of days, and help from a member of BW staff who nobly volunteered to go down in a dry suit on his day off to put ropes around it.

On the subject of getting things wet, my wife's camera got a dunking last year. After drying it out carefully everything works OK, but the lens has clouded internally and needs to be stripped and cleaned to be of any use. Any recommendations for how to get this done, if it's worthwhile? It's a Panasonic compact, only a year or so old.

Tim

In 6 feet of water.

Don't ask.

Both were successfully retrieved, and suffered no long term harm, but it took a couple of days, and help from a member of BW staff who nobly volunteered to go down in a dry suit on his day off to put ropes around it.

On the subject of getting things wet, my wife's camera got a dunking last year. After drying it out carefully everything works OK, but the lens has clouded internally and needs to be stripped and cleaned to be of any use. Any recommendations for how to get this done, if it's worthwhile? It's a Panasonic compact, only a year or so old.

Tim

Put it in a sealed tub with some of that hygroscopic powder as used in those condensation drying devices/boxes. I had a big bag of it 2kg? for a few pounds a few years ago. No doubt someone will be along to tell us what it's called..........

No, it was the first deep lock on the Lancaster side. Awkward too because of the metal lock sides attracting the magnet. Finally, I am a dip stick for having a senior moment and forgetting the right word!

Don't worry about being a dipstick and having senior moments. They increase with age and it's better to simply laugh them off. That's life! :P

In 6 feet of water.

No shortage of coolant there then!

Put it in a sealed tub with some of that hygroscopic powder as used in those condensation drying devices/boxes. I had a big bag of it 2kg? for a few pounds a few years ago. No doubt someone will be along to tell us what it's called..........

It's dry, but the lovely clear pure cut water has left a film of deposit on some of the internal surfaces - or so it appears.

silica gel?

Thanks

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Whilst using a vacuum cleaner on the pontoon to clean out crud from around the genny in the lift up forecabin of my last boat, I pulled the hose a bit too tight and the vac which was running (till it sank) took a swim.

Amazingly, after tipping it out and drying it in the sun for 2 hours it ran... and has done ever since.

Good old Mr Goblin.