What have you lost in the cut?

canals are us?

Featured Posts

Weed hatch bar, fell in with a pile of blanket weed. Wednesfield Junct BCN. Ray at R&D made us a new one for free.

Mate Ed Mortimer knocked one of the side doors off one of the little UCC tugs on a bridge hole, when he was dredging the summit of the Chesterfield. Years later, he was with us when we last went up the Chesterfield and spent an hour in the bridge hole with Sea Searcher and keb to try to find it...he never did.

Oil filler level inspection rod in the first lock of the Ribble Link. An hour with the magnet....retrieved. It would have been difficult to replace for a Sabb engine. Moral...don't check the oil level by holding it outside the engine room side doors for a better look when you have oily hands.

My mobile phone - fell into one of the Bosley locks on the Macc. Stupidly had it in the top pocket of my shirt , bent over and ........ you can guess the rest.

SNAP!!!

Only in my case it was on the Weaver mooring at Northwich.

The Comradepartnerperson, (Little Else here on CWDF) was watching and said "I can't believe you just did that" before collapsing with laughter.

My mobile phone - fell into one of the Bosley locks on the Macc. Stupidly had it in the top pocket of my shirt , bent over and ........ you can guess the rest. Silly thing was, I was on O2 at the time, and you know that advert they used to have with the little bubbles rising in the water? I saw them as it went down!

i lost my son and his bike in the canal, he was drunk at the time, but he got out and found our boat again <_< <_<

Oil filler level inspection rod in the first lock of the Ribble Link. An hour with the magnet....retrieved. It would have been difficult to replace for a Sabb engine. Moral...don't check the oil level by holding it outside the engine room side doors for a better look when you have oily hands.

Was that at the Tarleton end in Harry's Lock?

My word I'd love to be the one draining the locks to find all this treasure. I wonder if the CART workers wonder what they will find when the lock is drained apart from rubbish.

James :cheers:

I'm sure sometimes they would not want to know. Many years ago I was bored steering down the Wigan flight, so started a spot of magnet fishing, with the aim of finding some more long throw windlasses or handcuff keys at the back of the lock chambers. The was one hell of a lot of junk down there. At one point something started to come up, that seemed heavier than a windlass....as the sawn off shotgun broke surface, I quickly flicked it off, not wishing to get the police crawling about!

Pole off the roof, as I was pushed under some trees avoiding the ginormous Edward Elgar coming out of a Severn lock

Hat, on a windy day.

Crew man who decided to go for a leak on a dark night after several beers. He eventually managed to get back on while we all slept!

The funny thing is though, if something falls overboard, how you catch yourself looking at the water where it went in. As if it might pop up ...

I've mentioned this story once before on the forum but it's quite relevant on this thread too.

Friends of ours were approaching their online mooring at Crooke Village close to Wigan on the Leeds & Liverpool canal, when they spotted one of the other moorers waist high in the canal. Asking why he was there and not attempting to climb out onto the bank side, he told them that he'd been riding his bike towards his mooring and fell in the cut in the process.

When they again asked why he wouldn't move from his watery position, he explained that he was still sat on the bicycle and didn't want to move in case he'd forget where he'd left it! :wacko:

This could only happen in Wigan. :lol:

Edited by Doorman

Being pushed into the offside shrubbery by an oncoming boat, a low branch went under the crossbar on the bike, lifted it, moved it the side and dropped it. I got out the magnet and threw that to where the bike went in but forgot to hold onto the end of the rope. Next I tied a rope to a mooring pin (securing the end) and chucked that in. Up came the bike, complete with attached magnet.

The rest of the list includes chimney, hat, phone, bag of coal, coal scuttle etc etc etc.

Mooring at Newby Hall on the River Ure, son and daughter got off the boat first. As I was helping Mrs Wobbley off, our daughter (10 at the time)started screaming and stamping her feet. It turned out that she had dropped Mum's flashy (at the time)phone and it had fallen between the boards into the water. Nobody else about so, only one thing for it... I stripped to my undies and dived.. - well maybe lowered myself in. Phone was recovered ok, it even still worked. Then, just as I was standing there "dripping", in just my soggy shreddies, the minature train chose that moment to come past. About thirty mums dads and kids, all going "Ooooh look". A few with cameras even chose to capture the moment of my embarrassment.

My biggest fear is coughing and losing my gnashers overboard :wub: .

They're a bit loose and I haven't any spares :rolleyes:

Why not put a bead of Sikaflex on them before you put them in your gob.

Or No-Nonsense silicone sealant from Screwfix if you are hard up.

My 18 year old son once decided to empty the washing up bowl out of the side hatch rather than down the sink, what he forgot to do was take the cutlery out of the bottom of the bowl first! He spent the next hour leaning out of the hatch with a sea searcher magnet! I think we got it all back .... it needed another clean though!

Not strictly canaling but when dingy sailing on the Norfolk broads one of the boats I was with did an uncontrolled jibe and the main sheet lifted the outboard motor off its mounting and into the water....... normally on a dingy the outboard is tied to the boat for just such an instance but he had forgotten that morning! ... We tried to get it back but we were in about 8ft of water and we never did find it.

Edited by NickF

Why not put a bead of Sikaflex on them before you put them in your gob.

Or No-Nonsense silicone sealant from Screwfix if you are hard up.

Would that work with glass eyes too, or do you think it would blur their vision?

I lost my empty Thetford Cassette in the cut, and could be seen trying to coax it back with a broom. Also lost my cratch cover too and a lovely neighbour spotted it at the bottom of the basin. Quite a feat since the cratch cover and the bottom of the basin are both black....

Edited for clarity....

Edited by mad-runner