What have you lost in the cut?

canals are us?

Featured Posts

So what items have you lost in the cut?

I'll start off by saying since I bought my narrowboat last October I have only lost my spirit level.

I was bringing tools off the boat onto the jetty and sorting them onto a trolly truck and heard a noise, looked down and my 4 foot long spirit level was sliding off into the water. Tried to grab it but before I could, it floaded for seconds then sunk fast :lol:

Sods law its alluminium and plastic!! Oh well at least it wasn't expensive. Think it was from Lidl.

James :cheers:

If we are talking a floating, moving boat, I'm intrigued what jobs you thought you could realistically use a spirit level for!

If you were going to lose any tool, it sounds like the one that has least use on a boat!

• Greenie 1

Had a small life boat for sale, batterys flat

bought brand new 30amp battery charger from a motor factors

got back to boat yard, unboxed this bright red charger next to boat, put on the gunnel, stepped on the boat,boat leaned over

I heard the £45 go in,

thing that got me was disposing of the box and instructions in the green bin within 1/2 hour of getting it, and 20 mins of that was showing off and grieving.

col

If we are talking a floating, moving boat, I'm intrigued what jobs you thought you could realistically use a spirit level for!

If you were going to lose any tool, it sounds like the one that has least use on a boat!

Howabout mounting one on a pole, widthways across a boat....with a hanging weight, which could be move left or right to offset the boats tilt.

Not lost anything permanently yet (touch wood!)

My mobile phone went in within a week of us moving aboard. We got it out but sadly it never recovered from the shock.

We've also had to deploy the magnet to recover windlasses carelessly dropped in the cut.

Oh and a Nicholsons blew off the roof on the Ashby - recovered but never the same again.

Actually I lied! We permanently lost our tiller pin within a few weeks of buying the boat, after our son had laboriously polished it until it was gleaming! For a while we used a twig, until Smelly gave us our current tiller pin for my birthday in 2009 :)

So what items have you lost in the cut?

I'll start off by saying since I bought my narrowboat last October I have only lost my spirit level.

I was bringing tools off the boat onto the jetty and sorting them onto a trolly truck and heard a noise, looked down and my 4 foot long spirit level was sliding off into the water. Tried to grab it but before I could, it floaded for seconds then sunk fast :lol:

Sods law its alluminium and plastic!! Oh well at least it wasn't expensive. Think it was from Lidl.

James :cheers:

My mobile phone - fell into one of the Bosley locks on the Macc. Stupidly had it in the top pocket of my shirt , bent over and ........ you can guess the rest. Silly thing was, I was on O2 at the time, and you know that advert they used to have with the little bubbles rising in the water? I saw them as it went down!

While entering Tilston lock on the shroppy, I saw something go in the lock. I thought somebody had thrown something off the bridge, only to see my girlfriends little sad face, while swinging her windlass waiting for me to come in it slid out of her hand and plop. Luckily we have quite a few windlasses but that was her favourite. She was gutted. Ive also lost the odd spanner when it slips off the nut, there's that frantic bit of juggling then the horrible sound of metal hitting water.

:) my sense of dignity lol :blink: due to the fact that whenever i fell in the 'cut' ( which over the years had been quite often.. I blame specsavers) and people always seemed to see me do it :( ... thank goodness in them far off days ..mobile camera phones were not in abundance :) plus a very expensive watch that my husband had bought me for my birthday, and had given to me that morning..lost forever in the murky depths of the 'curly wurly' .. after trying for ages to retrieve the ruddy thing, much to the amusement of a lone fisherman grr... we gave up and guess who never got a posh watch again ??? ....whoops not really my fault as I really wanted a racing bike :)