Changing the boat name

mkn777er

Featured Posts

Having finally purchased our 'dream' boat at the back-end of summer last year I was never particularly keen on its name and always thought I would change it. Talking to some friends (and fellow boaters) recently they told me that changing the name of a boat is considered to be extremely unlucky and should never be done!

Is that an old 'wives tale' or are we potentially committing a terrible sin?

Having finally purchased our 'dream' boat at the back-end of summer last year I was never particularly keen on its name and always thought I would change it. Talking to some friends (and fellow boaters) recently they told me that changing the name of a boat is considered to be extremely unlucky and should never be done!

Is that an old 'wives tale' or are we potentially committing a terrible sin?

It is considered unlucky by some but it has no more grounds than any other superstition.

Commercial vessels often change their name when they change owners or roles.

Just remember to tell CRT.

OP,

Some folks would have you believe it's bad luck - as is walking under a ladder, or losing a rabbit's foot (actually - that's only unlucky for rabbits!)

Others would suggest that when you change the name - you have to buy everyone on the Forum a drink!

(that's also complete tosh - - you only have to provide drinks to forum members who wish you good luck!)

Good Luck! ;)

When I changed my boats name, and just for fun, I made a short video clip. Can't do linky thing, but go to "You Tube", type in "Geezenstack", and look for "Naming my boat".

As fa as I know it depends on how superstious you are!My boat has had 4 changes that I know off and we are still here to tell the story!. I renamed her when I bought her, changed it for a couple of years then changed it back as couldn't decide, blonde moment!!! :rolleyes:

We changed the name of our boat by following this ritual

1 Remove old name

2 Apply new name

3 Tell CaRT that boat no XXXXX is now called "new name" (yes I can see the comments coming)

4 Tell insurers same thing.

Done job - change in luck none

Superstition is a disease of the weak mind

Top Cat

Fully agree with Top Cat, same process when we renamed our NB. Everything else is superstitious rubbish.Doug

Couldn't agree more - we renamed our boat, it was pure coincidence that it was out for a blacking at the time. It certainly hasn't brought us bad luck, touch wood.

Strictly speaking our boat is called "Oh Dad I'm too shy", after our daughter had an attack of nerves just after we'd poured the bottle of beer over the bows. But it's never caused us a problem.

Slightly more upmarket than Earnest.....we used cheap lager...then drank the champagne! :cheers:

launch_4.jpg

The Wilderness was easy to rename out of the water!

We have a dilemma with the boat we've just bought. In the panel at the back of the cabin where boat's names are usually placed it has the full name of the previous owners on each side, and the boat's name is on each side midships.

It's called 'Hobo' and to erase it from where it is or to paint over it and then try to match the colour would be difficult, particularly as it's just painted on and not in a separate panel. It wouldn't have been our choice of name but we can live with it.

It's the previous owner's names that we need to get rid of, and being in a separate bordered panel should help as I suppose if the colour doesn't match perfectly at least it might not show as much. But I think it would look odd with the panels blank and to have something written inside them could help to hide the mis-match of the colour as well.

To repeat the boat's name by having Hobo twice on each side would IMO look odd so it's a case of deciding what to have in there. Our choice would be Comfortably Numb as it's a favourite song of mine (Pink Floyd) and would have been one of our preferred choices as the boat's new name. The reason I'm favouring going for this is because it can be construed as a statment as well as a name, so it mightn't look like the boat has 2 names.

I know the song is about druggy but hopefully we will also be comfortably numb from relaxation and the odd glass or three of wine :cheers: .

What do you others think? Do you think this would solve the problem and have you any suggestions as to what else we could have in the panels?

As I understand it, as told to us by a working boat woman, it's ok to rename a boat but the following procedure is to be followed to avoid the bad luck.

1. Get the boat out of the water.

2. Make some sort of model of the boat out of wood or paper with it's name written on it.

3. Sink the afore mentioned model.

4. Put the boat back in with it's new name.

Superstitious lot :)