Fitting a pressure gauge to 4LK

Charlotte Burnett

Featured Posts

Hey, newbie here. Joined because I want a more intimate relationship with my engine!

I want to fit a pressure gauge to my 4LK - can anyone suggest a suitable location? I was considering what looks like a drain bolt under the oil filter (I'd not noticed it before and contented myself with making a mess and swearing a lot!) Now, my knowledge of such things is limited...but am I right in thinking that if I removed the bolt and fitted a banjo and suitably long banjo bolt, along with some copper up to the pressure gauge, it might about workish?

Thanks

Hey, newbie here. Joined because I want a more intimate relationship with my engine!

I want to fit a pressure gauge to my 4LK - can anyone suggest a suitable location? I was considering what looks like a drain bolt under the oil filter (I'd not noticed it before and contented myself with making a mess and swearing a lot!) Now, my knowledge of such things is limited...but am I right in thinking that if I removed the bolt and fitted a banjo and suitably long banjo bolt, along with some copper up to the pressure gauge, it might about workish?

Thanks

Charlotte, welcome to The Forum...!

Oblique response in typical internet stylee..., why do you want a pressure gauge?

MtB

Matty - any chance you could post a picture? I think I know the bit you mean but just want to double check.

Mike - because I have one and it would look stupid if it wasn't hooked up to something.

What you describe would work, but -

1) It would show the pressure before the filter, so would give no warning of a choked filter

2) you would be well advised to include a constriction (small orifice) at the filter end, otherwise a split pipe to a remote gauge would cause an awful mess /loss of oil in a very short space of time.

Most Gardners have at least two branch sockets brazed in the copper line from the filter to the main bearings. One for the rockers, one for a pressure gauge. There might also be one in the flange fitting on the filter end of that pipe. I can't immediately remember the precise arrangement on an LK, but expect it's much the same.

Tim

Thank you Tim, this suddenly looks quite easy!

On the exhaust side of the engine, there is a line that goes down to what I'm presuming to be the big end bearings near where the old water pump would have been (I have a belt fed Jabsco that is badly installed and I swear at/prey to a lot, steam often comes out the side, I try to pretend it's because of the balmy weather we are getting at the moment.)

Anyway, it comes first to a small T which leads to a banjo on the fuel pump side of the engine - does this feed the pushrods? The next T is not being used and seems to have a shut of cock on it with the bar removed. The pipe then continues down to a flange on the block, this has an extra bolt on it. Would I be best to fit on the semi-derelict T and if so, do you know the thread size as I've not got Whitworth pitch gauges....perhaps I had best acquire some B)

Edited by Charlotte Burnett

Thank you Tim, this suddenly looks quite easy!

On the exhaust side of the engine, there is a line that goes down to what I'm presuming to be the big end bearings near where the old water pump would have been (I have a belt fed Jabsco that is badly installed and I swear at/prey to a lot, steam often comes out the side, I try to pretend it's because of the balmy weather we are getting at the moment.)

Anyway, it comes first to a small T which leads to a banjo on the fuel pump side of the engine - does this feed the pushrods? The next T is not being used and seems to have a shut of cock on it with the bar removed. The pipe then continues down to a flange on the block, this has an extra bolt on it. Would I be best to fit on the semi-derelict T and if so, do you know the thread size as I've not got Whitworth pitch gauges....perhaps I had best acquire some B)

That 'semi-derelict tee' sounds from your description to be the right one. It's probably 1/8" BSP, if not it'll be 1/4" BSP. If you unscrew the cock, check whether there's a very small hole at the bottom of the 'tee'. If not, it's a good idea to introduce a constriction, as I explained earlier.

Tim

Edited by Timleech