Trouble Starting BMC 1.5

CGP

Featured Posts

I have always struggled to start my 1.5 BMC on anything other than a hot sunny day.

However it seems to be getting worse.

Glow plugs seem to be OK, oil and fuel filters have been checked/replaced, the battery is brand new and charged.

What else am I missing?

Once it does start it runs fine all day and will restart when hot no trouble at all.

I have always struggled to start my 1.5 BMC on anything other than a hot sunny day.

Glow plugs seem to be OK, oil and fuel filters have been checked/replaced, the battery is brand new and charged.

What else am I missing?

Once it does start it runs fine all day and will restart when hot no trouble at all.

With our BMC 1500, we have to glow the plugs for about 45- 60 seconds before it will fire up. Depending on the temp.

They really are a bas***d to get going sometimes, but once running they go forever.

Yep same here. Takes forever sometimes to start especially on cold mornings. I have to hold the heaters on for 30 to 60 seconds and then I just let the starter spin till the engine fires. As you say once started it will then fire up first time after that if you happen to stop the engine for any reason. I dont know why that should be but it does seem to be a trait with both the 1.5 and the 1.8 (my friend has a 1.8 on her boat and that is similar to start.) I think as long as your starter battery is good then it will start every time, eventually.

Pete

I've looked at this thread and its mate in "General Boating" and nobody has mentioned that 1.5s can be very sensitive to throttle setting for starting. Most people seem to suggest using full throttle at starting but mine (some years ago) would only start at about half throttle. Compared with the 1.8, which I have now, it needed a lot longer time with the glow plugs. The 1.8 has always been an easy starter, albeit rather smokey for a few seconds after starting.

Arthur

What else am I missing?

Yes I have a 2.2 and starting is my problem at the moment-is there any smoke (white) as you crank the engine?

What else am I missing?

"Glow plugs seem OK" - what information do you have to support that?

At least your glow plugs are wired in parallel (unlike the 2.2 mentioned) so one failed plug will still let the others work.

1.5s mostly use a very thin "needle" type glow plug and if they get surrounded by carbon the engines can be hard to cold start so the first thing to do is to take your plugs out and test them across the battery (Floating Bee - do not even think of doing this unless you want to buy new plugs).

You will have to "worry" them out. Get the engine hot and then with each plug in turn initially tighten it about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn then loosen it a little and repeat each time loosening it maybe one flat more than last time. If a needle snaps off they can be drilled out in situ but it is bad practise (I have done it many times without problem but there is always a first time!).

When you have the plugs out get a drill a little (say 0.5mm to 1mm) larger than the needle in a HAND drill or low power battery drill and drill the carbon out of the hole. I think the correct size is 7/64 or maybe 11/64 - I am sure someone will be along with the correct size.

Copper grease the thread and needle when you replace the plugs.

Most 1.8s use very different plugs that draw about twice the power so heat up at least twice as fast and over a larger area.

"Glow plugs seem OK" - what information do you have to support that?

At least your glow plugs are wired in parallel (unlike the 2.2 mentioned) so one failed plug will still let the others work.

1.5s mostly use a very thin "needle" type glow plug and if they get surrounded by carbon the engines can be hard to cold start so the first thing to do is to take your plugs out and test them across the battery (Floating Bee - do not even think of doing this unless you want to buy new plugs).

You will have to "worry" them out. Get the engine hot and then with each plug in turn initially tighten it about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn then loosen it a little and repeat each time loosening it maybe one flat more than last time. If a needle snaps off they can be drilled out in situ but it is bad practise (I have done it many times without problem but there is always a first time!).

When you have the plugs out get a drill a little (say 0.5mm to 1mm) larger than the needle in a HAND drill or low power battery drill and drill the carbon out of the hole. I think the correct size is 7/64 or maybe 11/64 - I am sure someone will be along with the correct size.

Copper grease the thread and needle when you replace the plugs.

Most 1.8s use very different plugs that draw about twice the power so heat up at least twice as fast and over a larger area.

No I wont Tony! I dont think glow plugs is a problem at present but air is! Anyways at least I got the bilge pump working today, so thats something (5 AMP fuse gone) :blush:

Edited by floating bee