Visitor moorings in London

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

We are heading down the Grand Union towards London.

Planning on gong down the Regents canal towards Limehouse but not onto the Thames at this point (no VHF radio and nervous better half)

Looking to explore, how far would you go? Cumberland Basin or beyond?

And where can we expect to moor for up to 3 nights (or 2 if 48hr moorings)? We're planning on Little Venice, but will we be able to get in there, even in March?

Would like to be near a tube station.

Then planning to go onto Thames at Brentford and return to Stockton via Thames and Oxford.

Planning on gong down the Regents canal towards Limehouse but not onto the Thames at this point (no VHF radio and nervous better half)

And where can we expect to moor for up to 3 nights (or 2 if 48hr moorings)? We're planning on Little Venice, but will we be able to get in there, even in March?

Then planning to go onto Thames at Brentford and return to Stockton via Thames and Oxford.

My take, others will disagree strongly, is that if you want to be fairly near the centre, and with good access to bus and tube, then Little Venice / Paddington is easily your most obvious choice. In March you should find a suitable slot, although be prepared that many think the "norm" in London is to breast up with other boats where allowed, (it strictly isn't in Paddington basin, but boats on the mainline at LV are regularly breasted in pairs). There is no reason I can see why you can't simply extend any line of boats that is there out furher towards Bulls Bridge, (provided it is a bit of towpath you can get spikes in!), but people seem strangely reluctant to.

If you press on further East, then the only other regularly used moorings in any number are at Victoria Park, where the Hertford Union, (aka Ducketts) branches off.

People say you can find a slot here, but we have regularly struggled on the main mooring, and ended up tying up to some odd things (!)

You can largely forget Camden and Islington - there is little space anyway, and always seem to be full, (awaits howls of derision!)

I still think Paddington / Little Venice is by far your best bet.

There were plenty of moorings in Paddington Basin last Thursday, there usually is this time of year.

If some stuffy warden comes up and tells you they are booked winter moorings and you have to move on, ask them why they have been vacant the entire winter and can they provide the boat registration number that has booked it.

Word has it on the grapevine that local businesses and residents are buying the moorings to stop smelly boaters buying them. ;)

Paddington station and underground is 2 minutes walk, and hyde park corner about 10.

Edited by matty40s

Hello, came across London a couple of weeks ago. Got into the last available spot in Paddington, but we did arrive as darkness set in. Get there a bit earlier and you should be OK. Forget Broadway market - they were moored 3 and 4 abreast when we came through.

8482071336_37fd1e9c60_c.jpg

Untitled by articulator, on Flickr

Vicky Park on the Regents is usually rather, ehem, busy. You'd have more luck on Ducketts if you can get in to the side.

I think there have been some posts on here about Victoria Park and problems there recently.

Im surprised that there's space at Padington. We found it full of Winter Moorers when we tried to get in there a couple of years ago.

I'd suggest that you grab the first spot that looks likely as you approach Little Venice and then set off on foot to see what else is available a bit closer in and move up if you can otherwise you may go past the only mooring and end up cruising on for literally miles.

We spent the night on the boat near Mile End and there were several others moored there. However, that was during the summer when the towpath was quite busy. Talking of which, you do have to be aware of the speeding cyclists some of whom seem to see the towpath as the cyclists equivalent of the M1.

The Hertford Union is not the safest mooring around the place. Frankly, I wouldn't moor there if you paid me. Kings Cross, now it has been redeveloped is a safe and central mooring. Watch out for the crazy lady as you near the tunnel though - she's harmless but will shine a torch in your windows and photograph your boat numbers. Islington - the 7 day moorings by the tunnel are lovely but hard to find a space, below Sturts Lock (Rosemary Branch) there is often space but it's a bit of a pain for the tube. Broadway Market is a joke at the moment. Vicky Park, everyone double/triple moors, just tie up. It's a really lovely spot and there has not been trouble for a while now I understand.

Re. Hertford Union I suppose it depends whether you are going to leave your boat unattended or not.

A lot of the 'trouble' seems to me because liveaboard boats are usually left unnattended during 9 to 5 and weekend nights. When it was just holidaying boats mooring in town when passing through, there would usually be someone onboard. The local yoot seem to have cottoned on to these floating tin boxes that contain ipads and other goodies.

So we do tend to moor on the Hertford Union when we come through town, because it's an overnight pitstop for us and someone will be onboard at all times, then it doesn't bother us.

Because of our lurcher, we have to check whether there is a cat onboard any boat before we raft up and it's not always possible to tell if someone is at work and there's no obvious catflap. Remember last year getting to a very full Victoria Park moorings and Liz from the coalboat trying to help us ascertain which boats had cats on before we rafted up!

But yes, just to second the advice to grab any spot you see as you move through town, you may or may not see another one.

I have never failed to get a mooring at Paddington at any time of the year, even during the Cavalcade when Little Venice was packed out. I have moored at various points along the Hertford Union with absolutely no problems. Limehouse management seems to have had a change of attitude, they were very insistent that mooring was for one night only.

But generally, if you are genuinely travelling through London you should have no problems finding overnight moorings. I have sometimes had to be a little bit 'creative' but I am usually gone the next morning before anyone has a chance to complain.

We moored in Paddington in August a couple of years ago, all the pontoons were full but a chap pointed us to the end wall where you make the left or right turn depending upon whether you are entering or leaving. There are rings in the wall and a ledge which is wide enough to walk along to exit the boat, there is room for two 60 ft boats there.

Ken

Any thoughts about going onto the Thames? The water levels appear to be dropping and it is beginning to look possible again.

I did Brentford to Limehouse and back again (plus a run up the Lee) last weekend and it was absolutely fine.

We went into Paddington basin in early July last year with a 66ft boat and there were a couple of moorings available even then. I am sure you will be fine. We did go out onto the Thames and it is an amazing experience but I can understand your trepidation!

Have a brilliant trip!

Nick

Planning to go on the Thames at Brentford and make our way up to Oxford. Would love to go on at Limehouse but don't have VHF radio and have a

nervous wife!

I don't suppose anyone is planning to go upstream from Limehouse on Sunday or Monday, 17th and 18th?

Well, made it!

Very busy here and we seem to have secured the last mooring, not sure if its legal or not!

Right at the bottom of Paddington basin outside the M&S cafe.

Planning a cruise up to Camden on Sunday, what's the last place to wind before the locks? Is it Cumberland basin?

Many thanks to everyone for help and advice.