Floating pub?

Wumpty

Featured Posts

On 05/03/2013 at 12:39, Nightwatch said:

Anyone remember 'The Clubship Landfall' in Liverpool. It was,I think, an ex landing craft.

This would have been in the early 70's. We visited Liverpool on a number of ocasions whilst in the RN, good place to meet friendly locals who were sometimes quite happy to put you up for the night, instead of you having to go back onboard............

Martyn

Yes I remember it well

On 11/03/2013 at 11:54, Alan de Enfield said:

Railway vehicles and aircraft on journeys are exempt from the licensing regime.

As this thread has been resuscitated....

Many years ago, while I was a student, I secured a holiday job running a buffet car on the Festiniog Railway for the summer.  In those days that part of Wales was "dry" on a Sunday. So all the local topers had season tickets. The 11 a.m. departure from Port. was known as "the beer train"; the local chaps (I think it was exclusively chaps) would pile into the little buffet car, but we couldn't serve them until the train chuffed out of the station. When we reached the then top terminus, Dduallt, we had to stop serving until the train started its return journey, then the pints flowed until we got back to Port., where they'd wend their ways cheerily back home, no doubt just in time for Sunday lunch.

The best moment came halfway through the return journey, when the train would chuff past Penrhyndeudraeth Methodist Chapel just as the worshippers were leaving after morning service: cue raised glasses in the carriage and tut-tuts and averted gazes from the chapelgoers.

10 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Phishing site, do not use the link!!

It looks quite genuine, with information about their pub and its ciders etc. How do you mean?

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

It looks quite genuine, with information about their pub and its ciders etc. How do you mean?

Get yourself some half decent virus protection, and it will tell you quite clearly that this is not a safe site.

Ignore Laurie's warning at your own risk!

Here is our 'local' - about 5 minute walk from the marina

The Castle Barge was a Spillers grain barge plying its trade between Hull and Gainsborough. Converted into a public house in 1980 it is now an established part of Newark's lively pub & restaurant scene.

519822cce74a48f6a6a8af0826e282b3.jpg

http://www.castlebarge.com/gallery

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Get yourself some half decent virus protection, and it will tell you quite clearly that this is not a safe site.

Well, I have a Windows Firewall and something called Malwarebytes, which I assume are forms of virus protection. I have just gone to the Apple Bristol home page again, this time directly through Google rather than via the forum link, and no warning has appeared on my screen.

How can you tell that it isn't a safe site? Why would a pub wish to infect its online visitors' computers? 

1 hour ago, Jill17 said:

Yes I remember it well

Hello Jill and welcome to the forum. 

You've obviously been having  good rummage round the forum. :)

Here's hoping you'll join us some more. 

Tumsh. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

As this thread has been resuscitated....

Many years ago, while I was a student, I secured a holiday job running a buffet car on the Festiniog Railway for the summer.  In those days that part of Wales was "dry" on a Sunday. So all the local topers had season tickets. The 11 a.m. departure from Port. was known as "the beer train"; the local chaps (I think it was exclusively chaps) would pile into the little buffet car, but we couldn't serve them until the train chuffed out of the station. When we reached the then top terminus, Dduallt, we had to stop serving until the train started its return journey, then the pints flowed until we got back to Port., where they'd wend their ways cheerily back home, no doubt just in time for Sunday lunch.

The best moment came halfway through the return journey, when the train would chuff past Penrhyndeudraeth Methodist Chapel just as the worshippers were leaving after morning service: cue raised glasses in the carriage and tut-tuts and averted gazes from the chapelgoers.

Back in the 1980s when Irish pubs shut for Sunday afternoons you used to be able to get the ferry from Port Laoghaire to Holyhead and back for slightly more than the price of a bottle of duty free .... the ticket came with a free bottle of duty free, so many a drinker had an afternoon at sea and the ferry would get them back to Ireland in time for the evening opening hours.

• Greenie 1

There were some good deals around in those days - I lived in the South-East at that time and used to get a day-trip ticket on the Dover-Calais ferry for £1 (I think you collected coupons from one of the newspapers), returning with a rucksack full of cheap goodies.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

There were some good deals around in those days - I lived in the South-East at that time and used to get a day-trip ticket on the Dover-Calais ferry for £1 (I think you collected coupons from one of the newspapers), returning with a rucksack full of cheap goodies.

Bit like the Ryanair £1 flights

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Well, I have a Windows Firewall and something called Malwarebytes, which I assume are forms of virus protection. I have just gone to the Apple Bristol home page again, this time directly through Google rather than via the forum link, and no warning has appeared on my screen.

How can you tell that it isn't a safe site? Why would a pub wish to infect its online visitors' computers? 

When a website contains dodgy things it very often hasn't been put there by the owner of the site, or someone hosting or administering it on their behalf.

It has often got there because somebody else has hacked into that site and put it there.

Think for example of the fairly recent incident, widely discussed on here, where a very reputable supplier that many of us have used, managed to completely compromise people's credit card details to the extent that the only safe way out was to have the card issuer close down that card and issue a new one.

Clearly they did not intend this to happen, but happen it did.  Just because a website belongs to a reputable business doesn't make it safe.

Clearly the protection software that I am running, and presumably that which Laurie is running, are able to see a threat that the things you are running does not pick up on.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Generally installed by a hacker that wants to get their code on naive computer users machines to turn them in to a web bot to do their nasty work for them.  Hopefully not yours.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Generally installed by a hacker that wants to get their code on naive computer users machines to turn them in to a web bot to do their nasty work for them.  Hopefully not yours.

Safari on my iPhone didn’t spot anything so it’s probably pc-only 

On 05/03/2013 at 08:33, Richard Fairhurst said:

I'm rather fond of The Apple in Bristol Barge rather than narrowboat, and it doesn't move much, but then again neither do I after a couple of pints of their finest.

Did anybody watch the ITV TV series "Afterlife" it's outdoor bits were mostly filmed on the bit of canal around The Apple and the Three Brothers Burgers and the Brunel's Buttery. Just incase anyone cares. 

ETA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_(TV_series)

Edited by Tumshie
So I don't get told off by Athy.

I can't remember what I was going to post, so maybe it was not as seminal as I first thought, back later ........

no warning on my pc which is pretty proof against everything.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Your brave. We only do dry Mondays........I don't like Mondays (or rats)

This way, every second Monday is a Bonus, in theory, but for some reason, I still like my malt at weekends in winter, and my G & T  in summer; lunchtime. I've pretty much given up wine due to sulphites, it's my innards!

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

When a website contains dodgy things it very often hasn't been put there by the owner of the site, or someone hosting or administering it on their behalf.

It has often got there because somebody else has hacked into that site and put it there.

Think for example of the fairly recent incident, widely discussed on here, where a very reputable supplier that many of us have used, managed to completely compromise people's credit card details to the extent that the only safe way out was to have the card issuer close down that card and issue a new one.

I don't recall that incident, but thank you anyway for the warning.