Campsites

Bod

Featured Posts

\yes..SueB post #14

which says she thinks it should be pinned not that she's made a request to the moderators

Has anyone actually asked the moderators as well as saying it'd be a good idea?

which says she thinks it should be pinned not that she's made a request to the moderators

Has anyone actually asked the moderators as well as saying it'd be a good idea?

ah right sorry..

I like this thread! We've got friends who have asked if there's anywhere they can visit with a campsite nearby - trouble is we move around all the time so by the time we've sussed out the campsites we're ready to move on! I see them every now and then - in future I'll add them to this thread when I spot one and maybe someone local can comment on it.

Has anyone put in a request to the moderators to pin this?

I've put in a request

Barge inn at honey street and there's one at the bottom of Caen hill - by the 3 magpies. Stayed at the barge inn a few times, its like a festival there every weekend through the summer. The one at the 3 magpies looked ok as well.

This page lists the facilities, including camping, at each Thames lock.

Some of the campsites are very small.

Tim

Barge inn at honey street and there's one at the bottom of Caen hill - by the 3 magpies. Stayed at the barge inn a few times, its like a festival there every weekend through the summer. The one at the 3 magpies looked ok as well.

Yeah the 3 magpies also have a camp site in the field behind the pub. They used to do music weekends, the last I heard though they weren't doing them again. Pub is ok good selection of real ale, food is pretty good but a bit pricey IMO The pub is 1/2 mile max from the canalside.

Also there's a caravan site at Foxhangers devizes me and Lynn spotted yesterday, it looks like it's part of the marina anyway, not totally sure though.

Don't know if this one has been mentioned, near Radcot on the upper Thames. Some photos here .

I was told that some families stay there the whole summer and pass their pitch on down through generations!

A beautiful spot.

Hi,

Overwater Marina have camping facilities and they are also Caravan Club members. Good local facilities in the village nearby with plenty of live music on in the pubs too!

My link

Mike

Edited by Doorman

• 2 weeks later...

I've camped at Wern Isaf at Llangollen a few times - let friends + kids use the boat and we've slung a tent up - it's 15 minutes uphill up a narrow lane, but it's a lovely camp site- I know it from when I've hit Llangollen as a climber, rather than a boater. We've also had friends camp at the Coton Arms at Wrenbury, and at a site near the Prees Branch at Wixall (sorry don't know the site name of that one). I wouldn't have a problem with dropping a tent on the towpath in the sticks -I'd treat it like I do wild camping generally - only between dawn and dusk, and not more than one night at a time

• 3 months later...

I recommend Swiss Farm at Henley on Thames, (One field away from the river) tents & vans, lovely town, loads of good pubs.

Also, the recently reopened Dobbs Weir campsite on the Lee.

Only problem here is that it's only nearby pub, the Fish&Eels, currently manages to be the most expensive and worst run in the area !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Overwater Marina have camping facilities and they are also Caravan Club members. Good local facilities in the village nearby with plenty of live music on in the pubs too!

My link

Mike

Just to be clear though (relating back to the OP about 'camping' ) - that 'camping' facility looks like it's actually a certified location (CL) and should strictly only be open to (5 max.) members of the caravan club.

Caravan club sites and CL's are not open to tent campers (other than trailer tents).

The wardens and owners of some CL's and full sites will allow the use of pup tents as supplementary accommodation to a caravan. motor-home or trailer tent. But not a tent on it's own, that is the domain of the Camping and Caravanning club.

All that said some CL owners (Including possibly Overwater) may have a separate area where they allow tents on their own.

(And of course some CL owners just flout the rules anyway.)

Edited by The Dog House

Just to be clear though (relating back to the OP about 'camping' ) - that 'camping' facility looks like it's actually a certified location (CL) and should strictly only be open to (5 max.) members of the caravan club.

Caravan club sites and CL's are not open to tent campers (other than trailer tents).

The wardens and owners of some CL's and full sites will allow the use of pup tents as supplementary accommodation to a caravan. motor-home or trailer tent. But not a tent on it's own, that is the domain of the Camping and Caravanning club.

All that said some CL owners (Including possibly Overwater) may have a separate area where they allow tents on their own.

(And of course some CL owners just flout the rules anyway.)

Hello Martin,

from our experience of being at Overwater the owners were quite flexible about tents being allowed on site. We did see the occasional one but in the main it was in fact caravans and 'campers' there.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

• 3 weeks later...

This is of interest to me as I will shortly have use of my father's three berth boat and there are five of us so I am considering a tent. North West England I am looking at. (That's where I live, used to be on the Lanky).

I once came across a charity canoe paddle who were camping every so often on the Leeds Liverpool. I will post when we've tried it for the first time. Got an issue towing the boat from the Lakes yet!!!

I was then going to say that and take your money.

I know in the days we caravanned the 'policing' of it wasn't particularly strong, I don't know if the clubs have tightened up on it but I think the CL owners that flouted the rules did so because they knew there was minimal chance of being caught.

I recall a couple got caught out when disgruntled neighbours dobbed them in to the CC/local authority (CL's are restricted to 5 vans by planning regs - they are exempt IIRC) but the enforcement action was pretty come day go day - though as I say may be stricter now.