Campsites

Bod

Featured Posts

Our daughter's family like to go camping, and would like to meet up with us on the boat.

Do you know of anywhere, northwestish of Braunston, where camping meets canal?

Bod

Our daughter's family like to go camping, and would like to meet up with us on the boat.

Do you know of anywhere, northwestish of Braunston, where camping meets canal?

Bod

Blue Lias on the GU, bottom of the Stockton flight

Could this topic be extended to cover all the canal system and pinned?

Good idea (worth a greenie) although searching one thread for one site is a pain whereas a sub-section, in perhaps the "Fishing, walking and cycling" forum could provide space for a thread for each campsite with a review, facilities available and updates such as the recent anti-family stance adopted by the Blue Lias site.

This info could also be useful to a boater with a full cassette, empty water and unable to reach a boater's facility (though I don't think your SPO hose would reach, Sue).

I'm sure a campsite wouldn't begrudge a fill/empty for a small consideration.

Edited by carlt

If it is going to be considered for a Sticky, could it be put into a different forum anywhere?

Whilst i don't doubt it is a good idea, for the ammount of use it is likely to get is it really worth having at the top of the main page all the time?

Ah now, just how far north west? There's at least one place on the soar that would suit! :D

Yes, how far north-west?

Kingsbury Water Park Campsite.......Bodymoor Heath

Between Lock 12 & 13 Curdworth Flight, Birmingham & Fazeley Canal - Google view HERE ....at the bottom left of this view is the popular Dog & Doublet PH

www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk LINKY

“So much to see and do at Warwickshire’s premier waterside attraction! Kingsbury Water Park has 15 lakes situated in over 600 acres of country park. Stroll along the surfaced paths, explore hidden corners, spot birds and wildlife, hire a bike, join an organised event or host your own event. Whatever your idea of a countryside visit is, you will find it at Kingsbury.”

Good one here just south of Milton Keynes

https://maps.google....&num=1&t=h&z=18

Edited to clarify following Leo's comment below. The camp site is at Old Diary Farm and is in the field directly north of the Farm between it and Mill Lane adjacent to the canal. Long established.

Edited by GeoffS

Hi Geoff,

Hope you are well - map good, but a bit difficult to find the spot - I found it OK but I'm local.

We started boating/camping in '76 and found it easy 'pitching up' and bunging up a tent for the night. The 'Rose Revived' at Newbridge was a good stop, they even let us have a hot bath in the morning - provided we were quiet (we chatted up the girls behind the bar the night before).

On a re-union cruise in 2004 we found some good spots (which we used all those years before) by the side ponds on the GU at Grove, the dis-used pumping station above Ivinghoe and by one of the Peters Two locks.

Long time ago, on a Dolphin 16ft front cockpit cruiser (designed for vertically challenged people) called 'Puffin' (wonder were she is now).

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Thanks for all the replies, the planning now starts!

The pig place near Aynho has a small campsite also pigs. And a hot tub.

That is until the grandkids see the "Pig Place".

Looks as if we'll be going south.

Bod

I like this thread! We've got friends who have asked if there's anywhere they can visit with a campsite nearby - trouble is we move around all the time so by the time we've sussed out the campsites we're ready to move on! I see them every now and then - in future I'll add them to this thread when I spot one and maybe someone local can comment on it.

Has anyone put in a request to the moderators to pin this?