How do I deal with a troublesome mink?

Barry

Featured Posts

I found myself with a moral dilemma.

I worked out that I'm not sure if I can actually cold bloodedly kill a mink if I catch it in a live trap. I have to solve the problem whatever, so I decided to buy the big mousetrap you recommended. It eases my conscious because the death of the mink is now removed from me by one step because the trap will do it, so my involvement will be to just bury the thing. I can live with that.

The trap arrived in the post yesterday so last night I made a tunnel out of stuff in the cockpit that the mink will be familiar with, and set the trap in it. No mink in the trap this morning. However here is a slightly strange thing.

On Friday evening I just swept the mink droppings up and got rid of them. The mink visited during Friday night. On Saturday I scrubbed the floor of the cockpit because it was absolutely rank in there. I just used river water and a stiff brush, no cleaning agents or disinfectant because I didn't want to discourage the mink.

Saturday and Sunday nights after scrubbing out - no mink visit. Last night with trap in place - no mink

Watch this space

Lol, looks like 'murphy' might be computer literate and has paid a visit, or sent one of his mates!

Success!!

I set the trap as advised, in a tunnel made from storage boxes in the cockpit - no bait.

I am away from the boat for the weekend and the chap on the boat next door has kept an eye on it for me.

Its a good job the weather is cold again and not forecast to rise above fridge temperature because its going to have to stay there till Monday

I'll reset the trap again just in case there are more of them about

I found myself with a moral dilemma.

I worked out that I'm not sure if I can actually cold bloodedly kill a mink if I catch it in a live trap.

Watch this space

:cheers: most retards would have rubbed their 2 brain cells together and come up with poison or 'set the dogs on it'.

mink are a nightmare though, oddly enough foxes are partial to 'em though apparently. moral dilemas :(

:cheers: most retards would have rubbed their 2 brain cells together and come up with poison or 'set the dogs on it'.

mink are a nightmare though, oddly enough foxes are partial to 'em though apparently. moral dilemas :(

I'm trying to work out if you are serious, in which case what are you trying to say because I don't really understand your point/s?

I'm also trying to work out if you actually calling me a retard - in which case I suggest you wind your neck in just before you bugger off

Poison is illegal (this 'retard' had enough gumption and brain cells to do a bit a bit of research to find this out). Set the the dogs on it - not sure I can do that deliberately

I noticed you are back on the forum after a long break - sad day

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bazza I may be wrong and if so, that'll teach me to keep my nose out...

But I think PFU was saying that how you handled things was very thoroughly thought out and morally considered, whereas a good demographic of the population who suffer from the affliction know as being 'hard of thinking' would have done something stupid/ unethical like poisoning it or letting it fight it out with the dog.

WOW :) FTR... It was a compliment.

Bazza I may be wrong and if so, that'll teach me to keep my nose out...

But I think PFU was saying that how you handled things was very thoroughly thought out and morally considered, whereas a good demographic of the population who suffer from the affliction know as being 'hard of thinking' would have done something stupid/ unethical like poisoning it or letting it fight it out with the dog.

That being the case I'll apologise for my intemperate response.

I think the exchanges that he and I have had before coloured my interpretation and understanding of his post.

You read what he was saying entirely differently to me Starry

Didnt realise there was a mink issue at Bardney.

Hope you get it sorted soon :blink:

I trapped one NC.

There were mink footprints in the snow beside my boat shortly afterwards so I have left my trap set but thus far it has remained untouched

Didnt realise there was a mink issue at Bardney.

Hope you get it sorted soon :blink:

The damn things are turning up all over the place it seems. Last one we saw was on the T&M canal. Their presence is another example of man's stupidity.

Update

The little buggers are back

The guy who has been keeping an eye on my boat told me last week that stuff had been disturbed in the cockpit and he had actually a pair of mink in there, an adult and possibly a juvenile.

Anyway I came back to the boat today and they had pulled something down onto the trap and tripped it. So I had droppings, fish scales, and feathers in the cockpit.

And it stinks again

Trap is reset and I am just off to investigate a noise I just heard.....

Nothing there. I've ordered another trap so I can double up and cover both routes I can find down into the engine space

Edited by Bazza2

Good question Starry

Of the 4 boats on this pontoon mine is the only one not lived on so they are undisturbed for long periods

My cockpit might be more inviting with more places to explore than a narrowboat cratch because it is bigger with more tunnely bits

Its all I can think of

Nothing to do with Mink but another pest (or at least they are now) Our Marina is on an island with only a road bridge access, Over the last year more and more mole hills have been appearing to the extent it became difficult to walk around. The management got our grass contractors to go over the whole (58 acres I think) with a harrow to knock them down and then employed a some mole catchers to trap them. The guys were amazed at the number that they trapped, not surprising really because as they bred the available space became less and less.

3 weeks since the mole catchers departed and they missed a few who are starting the mole hill production again. Still I suppose they were here first.

Phil

The local mink population is now depleted by two

The campaign continues

I just wondered, do Mink like Moles? just kidding, don't have or want the little blighters down here. Must be driving you nuts so sympathy for you.

Phil

I just wondered, do Mink like Moles? just kidding, don't have or want the little blighters down here. Must be driving you nuts so sympathy for you.

Phil

Don't know about driving me nuts Phil, though are a blasted messy smelly nuisance

Nothing to do with Mink but another pest (or at least they are now) Our Marina is on an island with only a road bridge access, Over the last year more and more mole hills have been appearing to the extent it became difficult to walk around. The management got our grass contractors to go over the whole (58 acres I think) with a harrow to knock them down and then employed a some mole catchers to trap them. The guys were amazed at the number that they trapped, not surprising really because as they bred the available space became less and less.

3 weeks since the mole catchers departed and they missed a few who are starting the mole hill production again. Still I suppose they were here first.

Phil

I think they parachute in at night. The first mole hill in our lawn is never near the edge, always out in the middle. :cheers: :cheers:

The local mink population is now depleted by two

The campaign continues

well done