Dipping a Toe in the Digital Water

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

When - much to my amazement - I found myself the owner of an iPhone, the fact that it was worth much the same as a respectable laptop was initially a great worry to me. After all what I was doing with a phone I would never dream of doing with a computer.

Then I discovered the Griffin Survivor range of cases https://store.griffintechnology.com/ for the iPhone range - and more recently for my iPad. Whilst they do nothing to enhance Apple's unbeatable aesthetics they do allow these these devices to survive total abuse and regular outdoor use. They're not a bad price on Amazon either.

Yes but we moor in Tottenham, local yoot is more of an issue than waterproof. :D

Yes but we moor in Tottenham, local yoot is more of an issue than waterproof. :D

Also tends to disguise nature and therefore value of item from yoot - local or otherwise. There's very little street cred to be had when you appear to be phoning with a black brick!

They have been known to put the blue line in the wrong place,and the Dewsbury flight, if I remember rightly was back to front on our issue, definitely a one off purchase in my view, plus you can always fish em out of t'cut and dry em off, it's good boat handling practise (no sissy switches mind,that's cheating) :-) :-)

I had £5.99 burning a hole in my pocket so Just for the benefit of the forum I bought the east of England one for the iPad.

I haven't used it on the move yet but I have to say I'm not overly impressed so far. I will report back when I have tried it on the move.

They have been known to put the blue line in the wrong place,and the Dewsbury flight, if I remember rightly was back to front on our issue, definitely a one off purchase in my view, plus you can always fish em out of t'cut and dry em off, it's good boat handling practise (no sissy switches mind,that's cheating) :-) :-)

Just for clarification as to what one might be fishing out of t'cut is it a) a copy of Nicholson; B) a laptop running the EurEauWeb Water-Way Guides software or c) an iPad loaded with the e-canalmapp App such as the Eastern Region example referred to in a recent post?

It's just that all three seem to have been covered at one time or another in the course of this thread!

Somehow I feel that there might be more incentive in the case of B) and c) although I'm not sure whether a night by the Morso would bring much life back to either device ..........

Just for clarification as to what one might be fishing out of t'cut is it a) a copy of Nicholson; B) a laptop running the EurEauWeb Water-Way Guides software or c) an iPad loaded with the e-canalmapp App such as the Eastern Region example referred to in a recent post?

It's just that all three seem to have been covered at one time or another in the course of this thread!

Mmm. I could have perhaps been a little clearer as to the type of media I was referring to, suffice to say when I bought my copy an "i pad" was something put on when you had been poked in the eye, and "kindle" was a nickname for the stuff we got the wood burner going with :-) :-)

Edited by The Lockie

• 3 weeks later...

"Unfortunately, we will be unable to deliver the Kindle edition of “Grand Union, Oxford & the South East (Collins/Nicholson Waterways Guides, Book 1)” you pre-ordered. This particular edition of the title has been withdrawn by the publisher."

:-(

Edited by WJM

"Unfortunately, we will be unable to deliver the Kindle edition of “Grand Union, Oxford & the South East (Collins/Nicholson Waterways Guides, Book 1)” you pre-ordered. This particular edition of the title has been withdrawn by the publisher."

:-(

My understanding of the situation is that HarperCollins (HCP) had a few minor difficulties meeting the very stringent criteria imposed by Apple for acceptance in the iBooks Store. The Android platform is, I believe, much less demanding.

These difficulties are now resolved and it is expected that the eBook version of Nicholson Guides 1 & 4 will be available within 2 weeks.

HCP worldwide have an agreement with Android and Apple that any titles that they publish on one platform must be available on the other, which will be why they temporarily withdrew the titles from Amazon.

When - much to my amazement - I found myself the owner of an iPhone, the fact that it was worth much the same as a respectable laptop was initially a great worry to me. After all what I was doing with a phone I would never dream of doing with a computer.

Then I discovered the Griffin Survivor range of cases https://store.griffintechnology.com/ for the iPhone range - and more recently for my iPad. Whilst they do nothing to enhance Apple's unbeatable aesthetics they do allow these these devices to survive total abuse and regular outdoor use. They're not a bad price on Amazon either.

but nothing (that I could find anyway) says that they will float