Dipping a Toe in the Digital Water

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

We have completely given upon buying new waterways guides as they are all out of date when they are printed.

Once you have a set of books showing the route of the canal, where the locks are and where the major navigation issues are, what do you need to update that can't now be be found more easily and more reliably on a smart phone?

The good beer guide app and beer in the evening website are all a boater needs.

We have completely given upon buying new waterways guides as they are all out of date when they are printed.

Once you have a set of books showing the route of the canal, where the locks are and where the major navigation issues are, what do you need to update that can't now be be found more easily and more reliably on a smart phone?

Agreed.

Our Nicholsons don't have a date - I think they are the first editions, but now very well worn.

My favourite quotation, on page 49 of volume 1, is:-

"This section of land will soon look totally different as the Milton Keynes new city is built, into which the canal will be integrated."

I saw it in the iTunes store on Apple so that means it's available for iPad; iPhone and iPod Touch (if your eyesight's up to it!). It comes up under waterways - books.

Also showing pre-order for March release date but for once iBooks is the same price as Kindle version :)

Agreed.

Our Nicholsons don't have a date - I think they are the first editions, but now very well worn.

My favourite quotation, on page 49 of volume 1, is:-

"This section of land will soon look totally different as the Milton Keynes new city is built, into which the canal will be integrated."

A bit like the one we use on the Fen.

Sounds a hell of a lot more expensive than the paper ones when it ends up in the cut!

Depends how you view it - every Kindle book you have ever bought is permanently available to you simultaneously on multiple devices, including the new Kindle you bought to replace the one that you dropped in the canal!

Edited by WJM

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds a hell of a lot more expensive than the paper ones when it ends up in the cut!

My thoughts entirely, we have lost more Nicholsons South East guides in the canal than we care to remember. I don't fancy balancing my ipad on the backhatch and expecting it to remain there. :D

My thoughts entirely, we have lost more Nicholsons South East guides in the canal than we care to remember. I don't fancy balancing my ipad on the backhatch and expecting it to remain there. :D

When - much to my amazement - I found myself the owner of an iPhone, the fact that it was worth much the same as a respectable laptop was initially a great worry to me. After all what I was doing with a phone I would never dream of doing with a computer.

Then I discovered the Griffin Survivor range of cases https://store.griffintechnology.com/ for the iPhone range - and more recently for my iPad. Whilst they do nothing to enhance Apple's unbeatable aesthetics they do allow these these devices to survive total abuse and regular outdoor use. They're not a bad price on Amazon either.

A man who has his priorities right!!!!! :cheers:

I'd just like to add my critcism of the Nicholson's guides.I invested the the bang up to date latest reprint etc etc of the severn area Canals and Rivers (2012) only to see that there was nothing on the Droitwich canal as it was still under restoration! :banghead: Never again.

Can I write my travelling notes on an ebook? And it has to be 'written' because my travelling notes and his can use the same words but they mean totally different things!

Like "lock gate tends to swing open" in my writing means "need him to be ready to back up to hold the gate" whereas in his writing it means "she'll be faffing around here".

Edited by Jo_

Can I write my travelling notes on an ebook? And it has to be 'written' because my travelling notes and his can use the same words but they mean totally different things!

Like "lock gate tends to swing open" in my writing means "need him to be ready to back up to hold the gate" whereas in his writing it means "she'll be faffing around here".

Yes you can write annotations in ebooks.