Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Move the steps in the 'lounge' and crawl through.

We all have differing ideas of what is perfect, but I'd move everything forward and make a back cabin where it should be doing away with the 'lounge'.

Alternatively, leave as is and make a reverse back cabin of the lounge area. The JP3 is nice, but a bit excessive. All wishful thinking, and expensive.

Nice little project for someone :)

My favourite type of barge but at 15ft beam its too wide for my mooring (14ft max). Luckily :lol:

Suspect it will get steeled over towed round and be a cc-er on the Lea round hackney somewhere ;)

Edited by magnetman

I don't think it's daft at all, if you have to have an engine one under your nose is not conducive to pleasant boating. I like to hear the exhaust note, but not the rackety-rackety of general engine noise. Been there done that etc.

I agree - though it depends what you're used to. Our current boat has a mid engine room, but our previous two had the engine at the rear - one with a Petter PH2, the other with a Rigas Dizelis PM24. So I did get accustomed to being able to hear bugger all that anyone tried to say to me when I was at the helm!

I thought that was what you said. And I kindly accept the offer of you buying me a new boat, thankyou Mark

I have a spare GU and butty you can have Ben. If only I could remember where I left it. :)

I better stfu before the thread derails too far.

The engine wasn't fitted early 80s, more like middle to late and was originally positioned where it should be and not in the back cabin.

Expensive.

A Ruston Hornsby 3VRH was removed from EMERALD in 1982, to be replaced by a Ruston Lister JP3. The Ruston Hornsby 3VRH was advertised for sale in the Narrow Boat Owners Club NEWSLETTER of Winter 1982.

This engine change was documented in Waterways World November 1983 page 46.

A Ruston Hornsby 3VRH was removed from EMERALD in 1982, to be replaced by a Ruston Lister JP3. The Ruston Hornsby 3VRH was advertised for sale in the Narrow Boat Owners Club NEWSLETTER of Winter 1982.

Pete catches me out again! ..... I must stop listening to myself.

Try this one then: -

The Ruston Hornsby 3VRH transmission was fitted with a slipping clutch because it was too powerful.

Thank you, Pete. A Ruston Lister is a new one on me.

We had a 3VSH in Falcon, it was an aft engine room. You could barely talk on the counter it was so loud, think it was a borg warner gearbox which was operated by your foot on a long lever. (the gearbox not your foot) I loved it.

2.30 gives you an idea of how it sounded