Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm surprised - perhaps its somewhat rudimentary fit-out has put prospective customers off. But a boat with such history and a nice engine (albeit arguably in the wrong place) must be a bargain for somebody - at that price there could be cash left over to spend on upgrading the inside.

Why would anyone have called their boat "Spade"? I know that there was an LMS steam locomotive called Shovell, but he was apparently an admiral in the British Navy.

Let's hope that someone forks out for it.

These boats were named after geometric shapes used on playing cards, another example is "Diamond" at the BCLM.

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

I could call a SPADE a JEANNIE, then that would be more whole than hole captain.gif

anybody good at riddles ?

So is SPADE formerly JEANNIE? I remember JEANNIE used to be moored at Copt Heath Wharf on the GU in the 70s, and would regularly do trips with DONNA, the pair going through the top lock at Knowle to wind in the pound below before returning. If I remember rightly, DONNA was a wooden butty crudely motorised with a complete vehicle engine and transmission package, just dropped in, with the back axle hanging over the back of the boat, and paddle wheel blades welded onto the car wheels. Horribly inefficient I would imagine!

So is SPADE formerly JEANNIE? I remember JEANNIE used to be moored at Copt Heath Wharf on the GU in the 70s, and would regularly do trips with DONNA, the pair going through the top lock at Knowle to wind in the pound below before returning. If I remember rightly, DONNA was a wooden butty crudely motorised with a complete vehicle engine and transmission package, just dropped in, with the back axle hanging over the back of the boat, and paddle wheel blades welded onto the car wheels. Horribly inefficient I would imagine!

...but probably fascinating and pleasing to look at - as long as you don't own it.

Correct, JEANNIE and SPADE are one of the same boat. DONNA was reputedly the Braunston built motor WASP, the boat that previously housed the Gardner that was fitted into JEANNIE pre 1967. According to my records DONNA was subsequently fitted with an industrial 4 cylinder Perkins.

I also remember these two boats being at Copt Heath Wharf when I was 'camping' in the early 1980's, but my memory of DONNA is of it having a counter stern which is why I have never questioned its origins as WASP. I am sure JEANNIE had a squared off stern back then. The only time I ever saw these boats on the move was in about 1980 when Fred Parker was single handing them both down Farmers Bridge locks, with JEANNIE towing DONNA.

These boats were named after geometric shapes used on playing cards, another example is "Diamond" at the BCLM.

Just for completion the names CLUB, HEART and JOKER were not used by Midlands and Coast Canal Carriers Ltd., the other two Crichton built boats being APOLLO and STAR with the Yarwood built boats of this period being NORTH, MERCURY, LEO and TAURUS. A few years later Yarwood's also went on to built the counter sterned motor ARIEL for Midlands and Coast Canal Carriers Ltd..

Edited by pete harrison

Correct, JEANNIE and SPADE are one of the same boat. DONNA was reputedly the Braunston built motor WASP, the boat that previously housed the Gardner that was fitted into JEANNIE pre 1967. According to my records DONNA was subsequently fitted with an industrial 4 cylinder Perkins.

I also remember these two boats being at Copt Heath Wharf when I was 'camping' in the early 1980's, but my memory of DONNA is of it having a counter stern which is why I have never questioned its origins as WASP. I am sure JEANNIE had a squared off stern back then. The only time I ever saw these boats on the move was in about 1980 when Fred Parker was single handing them both down Farmers Bridge locks, with JEANNIE towing DONNA.

Pete, You may be right. I always seemed to get those two boats confused as they always travelled together. Back then I didn't generally take photographs, so I have nothing to jog the memories.

Is this the same Apollo that now resides at Roger Fullers, Lime Kiln Basin?

Ian.

It could well be.

APOLLO was converted to a motor in 1936, and was later shortened as a part of its commercial history. More recently (since 1970) it has been operated as a trip boat by various Operators, but always under the ownership of a Forum member.

I was going to stick that on earlier but couldnt find this thread on me moby

Through ABNB but not moored at Crick

I passed it 2 mins ago, it is on the river weaver as the ad says. It has been on this thread a while back as it's been for sale since at keast Lymm historic transport day where the owners told me it was FS. They had their own privite ad on AD that was lacking any photos if i recall. I also think it's had a price drop since then too.

It's a beautiful boat, the owners are a lovely couple and it's been maticulasly looked after.

I passed it 2 mins ago, it is on the river weaver as the ad says. It has been on this thread a while back as it's been for sale since at keast Lymm historic transport day where the owners told me it was FS. They had their own privite ad on AD that was lacking any photos if i recall. I also think it's had a price drop since then too.

It's a beautiful boat, the owners are a lovely couple and it's been maticulasly looked after.

Was listed at £40000 if id of seen the inside I'd of probably contacted them see if a deal could be done

I think this one is probably more than £10K more than it was when on Whilton's books - probably about 1 year ago?

Perhaps it has been the subject of a lot of improvement, as I believe it was described as "unloved" (or similar) back then.

Emerald No 1

I vaguely recall the purchasers on Facebook when they bought this. I can't for the life of me remember when and which page though! Back on the market quickly then!

It was at the Braunston show, I think, but I didn't really take in who owned it

Edited by alan_fincher

No time at all, I passed it on it's way to Whilton at Newbold about a year ago.

It looks as if it's been painted externally.

The engine wasn't fitted early 80s, more like middle to late and was originally positioned where it should be and not in the back cabin.

Expensive.

This is startling. We used to see this boat moored in March, then it was sold a couple of times and yes, it was at Whilton last year looking unloved. Then, this summer, we saw it at Clifton Cruisers, whose owners had bought it, lavished much attention on it (for example, they told me, curing the engine's chronic overheating tendencies), and seemed to have every intention of keeping it. They have given it an external repaint too. I am very surprised to see it for sale. The photos were taken at Clifton Cruisers unless I'm mistaken.

Yes Barnacle, you enter the bedroom through the entrance below the front doors, and a right cosy bedroom it is too. Fitted out by Fox's of March.

Gosh, I'm tempted!

Edited by Athy