Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 23/05/2020 at 13:25, pete harrison said:

The other thing here is that I am not hiding behind a pseudonym, making me personally accountable for my input on this Forum. I will not be adding any further to this particular topic until you reveal your identity as I am wondering if you are 'trolling' :captain:

edit - one way or another I know most of the pseudonym's real identities on here, or at least those that I deal with long term.

Behind the scenes I have had some communication with 'Paddle' - but perhaps the subject of the rights and wrongs of narrow boat restoration warrants its own thread rather than distracting from boats for sale :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Back of Egypt has been high and dry for many years, i think it was a liveaboard for a long time. There are members  of this forum  who used to moor at the same place who will know more detail. The seller, if it's who I think it is ,has history for dealing in parts of old boats  and even complete boats that are, shall we say, less than pristine.?

12 hours ago, Admiral said:

You could always buy this if you have an outboard motor! Sorry if this has been posted before

Butty for sale

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

Google image search. 

Looks like a bit of a Bantock horse boat. 

JANE is a B.C.N. day boat, and has nothing to do with Thomas Bantock - but a lot to do with G. and D. Crannage, Brierley Hill and later the South Western Division and Midlands Region of 'British Waterways' who subsequently shortened it from 70'8'' to its current length. There is nothing to suggest to me that JANE substantially pre-dates its only gauge of BCN23351 - 07 February 1921 - so the claimed build date of 1890 is highly unlikely.

I have known this boat since the 1970's, and some on here might remember it being paired with the new build 50' unconverted motor DANIEL in the mid to late 1980's. JANE has been tied in Bristol for the past 30 years, and pretty much on the same mooring for all of that time :captain:

• Greenie 1

Thanks for correcting me there. I had another look when properly awake and noticed it's quite different to a Bantock. 

Interesting boat which might come up very cheap later on if someone is after the mooring. 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Described in the advert as "Gorse is a well loved 46’ historic traditional narrowboat, brimming with history and character. She was originally built by Harland & Wolff"

And there was me thinking she was a josher from Yarwoods.

So I guess she's a small Josherwich built by Harland and Wood? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I nearly choked on my cup of tea when I read that description - built by Harland and Wolff circa 1948 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the hull was built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd., and was delivered to Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. om 05 May 1948. GORSE was completed at Uxbridge Dock by 'British Waterways' and entered service during the spring / summer of 1951. This information is readily accessible  :captain:

Just now, pete harrison said:

I nearly choked on my cup of tea when I read that description - built by Harland and Wolff circa 1948 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the hull was built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd., and was delivered to Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. om 05 May 1948. GORSE was completed at Uxbridge Dock by 'British Waterways' and entered service during the spring / summer of 1951. This information is readily accessible  :captain:

Indeed!  Passing it off as a GU boat probably knocked £10k off its value! ???

• Greenie 1

On 28/05/2020 at 14:32, zenataomm said:

Described in the advert as "Gorse is a well loved 46’ historic traditional narrowboat, brimming with history and character. She was originally built by Harland & Wolff"

Its ok of i ever sell towy ill claim she is made from steel but hand carved!

On 28/05/2020 at 14:32, zenataomm said:

It's a Yarwoods now!

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/gorse-46-historic-trad-c-1948-yarwood-sons/