Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Always moored at the cottage coming up from london in the 80s she was always across the bend from the cottage.. by maffers were away exciting waters ahead

And that engine made thompo's sound refined...

Thats would have been when mum and dad owned the lock cottage

Yes, there are a few about with john jinks steering too, this was after she left claytons, she had the sign writing removed and the dane added. There is a bit in one of the mags think its the narrowboat mag showing a climed pic of dane as the wever dane but its not thats also tco dane when she had a conversation on.

Just wanted to be the first to mention this one as I have owned this for 4 years and is now unfortunately up for auction

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orion-1935-50ft-Harland-Wolff-Wooden-Trad-Narrowboat-1954-Lister-FR3/183116184347?hash=item2aa2933b1b:g:PaMAAOSwhsVaoW4r

If anyone is interested and wants more detail please contact me. All the paperwork history is with this boat - if you want to view please contact Pillings Lock Marina

for those that doubted the History when for sale last time (4 years ago) see photos of the Keays original sales receipt along with the purchasers note book of the time (so she is at least one of the 2 star class prototypes which one Orion or Saturn will always be in question I think). I have photographs of all the documents so if any of you Historians would like to see them I can send you what you want. The Engine was totally rebuilt (including pistons and liners) 2 years ago by one of the very few Lister FR3 experts and not used since. I am reluctanly selling as I have enjoyed trying to help preserve this piece of history but have but have run out of the time and resorces to keep her. As I say I have hundreds of photos and all the history so if you want to know anything please ask.

IMG_20180131_170839.jpg

IMG_20180131_171910.jpg

IMG_20180131_172206.jpg

IMG_20180204_210716.jpg

What a fantastic historical boat. I remember the hull being cut in two and some of the work being done. Keays collapsed soon after and the yard tried to relocate but was never the same.

A beautiful craft I would buy tomorrow if my health allowed!!!

A bit underpriced unless some nasty is being hid.

What is the real condition of the hull?

I have no idea if the sister boat is still extant 

Here is the bow in early 70's at Keays and the fourth boat left is yours at Bulls Bridge.image.png.c636cffa2852184a726cd7fee499b389.pngimage.png.13ee22aa874edf83ca3b134696b4b633.png

Hi Laurence

Thanks for those pictures as I had not seen the first one at all - As far as I know there is nothing scary (no more than the usual with a wooden boat but there is definitely some work to be done) the history shows drawings of which timbers were replaced over the years and the original owner who had her for 25 years made sure all the work was done - she has been pretty tight since I have owned her only letting in what you would expect from a wooden boat - The price was started low as no recent survey and its probably time she came out for blacking (last out 2011) and I wanted people to make up there own minds -  I spent a lot of unexpected money on the engine rebuild after it had been hydrolic locked by someone else which destroyed the rods and liners (which was the money I had aside for caulking/blacking and woodwork which I was prepared for) as everything had to be done in situ and transporting an expert to the scene from Dursley over an 18 month period and have now just run out of the time and resources. I Love the boat hence I have left in the bits and pieces that I have acquired and selling as is. 

I was told that they thought she might have been the last boat out of Keays or nearly the last anyway - it was great to have all the original paperwork of which there is a lot including quite a lot from keays - The notebook is very revealing of Keays work and what they were and were not doing. She was launched from Keays as "Warm n Snug" was only put back to orion in 2011. There is what looks like an original bulls eye fitted in what is now the engine room.

I am happy with how the price is going because its near what I originally paid and I will at least feel that I have helped in the preservation so I am in no way seeking to get my money back - I hope the next person Loves her as much as we have and it is a very reluctant release for me.

Let me know if you want any of the history that is with the boat. Although I know that you probably know more about her than I do.

Just like to note there should be 0 water coming in on a wooden boat, apart from engine water from draining ive never seen or hurd my pumps work except when testing.

Last docked 2011 shes well over due a dock will prob and would recomend any new owner do a full recork not just water line and below and full double layer blacking.

Just my 2p for any potential buyer.

Also this picture keeps cropping up in the history but I have no idea what the source is. I think it is also one of the photos on the historical list page. Perhaps you know

The picture along with a description can be found on page 56 of A Canal People by Rolt / Longdon.

54 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Am i right in thinking shes wooden but has a steel cage?

That's what it says......

She is plated by metal steel over wooden hull and wooden superstructure.

I rather liked......

Resist due to timewaster 

I think I can probably manage that!

Edited by alan_fincher

27 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Sounds that way ask the owner. Its called overplating.

Overplating is usually taken to mean welding extra bits on top of rusty steel. This one sounds like a totally wateright steel box crafted to fit around a leaky wooden hull. The technique has a different name surely. 

1 hour ago, TimYoung said:

Structural ice plating?

Oh is that what im ment to do, ill have to invest in that.

Ive seen it done on the inside but not outside on wooden boats.

I love the part he says the bildge needs cleaning! I think he might find thats not a good idea!

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Overplating is usually taken to mean welding extra bits on top of rusty steel. This one sounds like a totally wateright steel box crafted to fit around a leaky wooden hull. The technique has a different name surely. 

Bodging?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

. The technique has a different name surely. 

Desperation? Sorry, that's unfair, I love old wooden boats but I've just spent all morning replacing rotten wooden fence posts, that's quite enough soggy wood for me.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bee said:

Desperation? Sorry, that's unfair, I love old wooden boats but I've just spent all morning replacing rotten wooden fence posts, that's quite enough soggy wood for me.

Ill lend you some of mine when im done, bodging sorry i mean ice plating!

19 hours ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Not everyday that a 100 year old canal company tug appears for sale! Take a good look, this is a unique opportunity.

40ft Historic 100yr old Tug Boat converted to houseboat PROJECT

I have been following this thread and although BRENT falls outside my field of research I would like to make a few points:

Although it is appreciated that BRENT (like any other wooden ex-commercial canal boat) is a 'survivor' it needs another 10 years to pass before it can be claimed to be 100 years old.

When built BRENT had a wooden hull sheathed in galvanised steel. I imagine this would have been little more than ice plating in its gauge.

BRENT has had at least four engines throughout its 90 years - Kromhout, Bolinder, National and Perkins :captain:  

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Bodging?

A number of house boats on the Basingstoke were constructed from redundant commercial narrow boats in the early 1960's, of both wooden and iron construction. As the years passed many of these boats became rather delicate and their hulls were encapsulated within new steel hulls. The term I heard for this practice was 'tanked', and is a term I have used subsequently :captain: