Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 10/25/2016 at 08:41, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah but it isn't an advert is it? The boat is not for sale yet. But if it was for sale and this was an advert, this post would in the wrong section and in breach of the site rules. But it isn't so it isn't, if you get my meaning! It's just a notice that this boat will be coming to market soon.

Aston is now on Gumtree at £68k.  

It looks an interesting boat.  I know the person who added the hydraulic drive - he based the installation on Hampton's.  

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/narrowboat-large-woolwich-butty-historic-72ft-long-7ft-internal-headspace/1276265632

5 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Aston is now on Gumtree at £68k.  

It looks an interesting boat.  I know the person who added the hydraulic drive - he based the installation on Hampton's.  

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/narrowboat-large-woolwich-butty-historic-72ft-long-7ft-internal-headspace/1276265632

Also on the duck

Aston

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 18:25, alan_fincher said:

Situated on the Kennet & Avon Canal in Wiltshire at present but can be moved easily.

A bit unusual on the K&A ?

(Sorry! - Couldn't resist!)

Joking aside Blake's lock is closed until 23rd March 2018 apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-conditions-closures-restrictions-and-lock-closures#planned-lock-closures-updated-2-november-2017

12 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Looks very much like the early Bantock "St Tudno" that I owned briefly a few years ago. Motorised the same way and fitted with a JP3m, she still had the kinked knees but had been rebottomed/footed in steel. 

St Tudno has been completely rebuilt and is now immaculate so that is ruled out.  Here it is peeping out from behind my boat at Huddlesford.

George

dscn6723.jpg

Almost identical to a boat I owned called "orianne" she was a "mk1 bantock" motorised in the same way but with an anti ventilation plate.

Forum member Arnot bought it from me and some interesting info has been added to the historic ships register. Including an unverified claim that she was motorised "in the early or mid 20th century"

So were these boats motorised while still trading? I always assumed that it was when they were first used for pleasure boating.

I think the claimed age of conversion is incorrect (in the case of Orianne) no date is claimed for he eBay one.

Very similar boat except orianne had s steel shoe.

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

St Tudno has been completely rebuilt and is now immaculate so that is ruled out.  Here it is peeping out from behind my boat at Huddlesford.

George

dscn6723.jpg

Yes, I realise the boat for sale is certainly not St Tudno unless she's taken a backwards step since I last saw her! 

I was making the comparison as the bow looks similar and Tudno was confirmed as a very early "Mk 1" bantock. Like the owner of Orianne I'd wondered how early the conversion was done but couldn't find anything on her history at all. 

It would be great if someone could restore it retainin the wood bottom and chine . I'm not sure if there are any left like that. It looks like a real museum piece which will most probably be cut and used as the (beautiful) bows of a tug.

IMO these are the most attractive bows of any narrow boat. There is just something very satisfactory about them. Really nice.

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It would be great if someone could restore it retainin the wood bottom and chine . I'm not sure if there are any left like that. It looks like a real museum piece which will most probably be cut and used as the (beautiful) bows of a tug.

IMO these are the most attractive bows of any narrow boat. There is just something very satisfactory about them. Really nice.

You are very true, if i was in a position i would have it as its the sort of boat i would be after hull wise. Most boats have had steel replaced and if you ever stear or use a boat with a wooden bottom there far better in the water in my opp.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If it's £3,250, then it will be £3,250 for a very good reason, and that reason will be a lot mote than putting a new bottom on it!

It seems a pretty honest price compared to some old boats

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It seems a pretty honest price compared to some old boats

Richard

Yes, I don't disagree.

I very much doubt it's going to supply anybody with a sound historic boat cheaply though.

I'm guessing the agreed purchase price will be largely immaterial when compared to what will need spending on it.

Don't forget there has been a proper "Grand Union" on offer at only about twice that amount, and still no takers as far as I know - a much more desirable purchase for most enthusiasts, I would have thought.  Certainly if I wanted a butty I'd be closely looking at the £8K one before the £3K one.

But the Bantock isn't a butty. It predates butties because the term butty describes a boat paired with a motor. It was a horse boat. Its advertised as a butty and was probably used as a butty at some stage but as far as I know it  was built before the "iron horse" existed. This makes it quite a lot more interesting to history enthusiasts than a 1930s built butty IMO :)

But yes I agree it probably needs a huge amount of work. I'm once bitten twice shy but very tempted to get on a train to have a look at it because these really are wonderful boats.

I've been on a GUCCCo butty and I've been in a "mk1" Bantock. I know which one I prefer and by a long way. No comparison for me.

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

You are very true, if i was in a position i would have it as its the sort of boat i would be after hull wise. Most boats have had steel replaced and if you ever stear or use a boat with a wooden bottom there far better in the water in my opp.

Mike H has always said a wooden bottomed boat swims better.