Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Bow of a Pimblott built Admiral to illustrate Alan's point.

3569025935_2c57ec1bff_z.jpg

Grand Union Canal by Ian, on Flickr

When you look at the design near the water like has a very sim shape to alot of the later bw flats and hoppers but without the flat nose.

Intresting design though you can clearly see there development and future prosses

I know not related but didnt st austall have blue tops fitted when mike had her or am i imagining it? Ive only got pics of me on chiswick as i never went boating with the pair but spent a fair bit inside st austall

Please don't go upsetting Mr. Harrison, he knows more about most boats than most folk here.

I don't know what working boatmen called 'dustbins', but I would hazard a guess at River class boats. And the plastic covers - 'dustbin lids'.

Edited by Derek R.

Please don't go upsetting Mr. Harrison, he knows more about most boats than most folk here.

I don't know what working boatmen called 'dustbins', but I would hazard a guess at River class boats. And the plastic covers - 'dustbin lids'.

The terminology wasn't in my opinion widely used, these "new" boats came as a bit of a shock to the folks who had known nothing else but the traditional layouts and engines for years. People who used the "River" class motors will tell you how well they handled and how easy it was to uncover the holds, they came too late to save carrying which was a shame. If the motors had been up on the BCN as a trial I think they would have been an instant success, its a pity that everything was tried in the south with crews only used to long distance work.

The GUCCCo had a lot of ideas which never came to fruition, ie the compartment boats, the wide beam "Royalty" class and so on, even just prior to the "Admirals" there was the final drawings produced for the "County" class boats, replacements for the GU fleet, sadly none were built.

Does "dustbin" refer to the "blue tops" then? I had always assumed it related to a boatman's view of how "well" the River class buttys actually handled, (or possibly how elegant their hulls actually looked!).

I was always under the impression that the "Dustbin's" almost universally the name used by northern boatmen referred to the way the sides bowed in between the knees/frames giving the " Wriggerly" effect as sported by metal refuse bins I cannot recall a a boat in trade with Blue Tops all I remember is metal hoops top planks & cloths.As an aside re the photo's, the Pimblotts were well noted for attempting to climb over low banks, bottom lock gates, etc.when unloaded more so if something wrapped it's self around the blade, a vivid memory of Jack Tolley's motor trying to climb the bottom gates of Hack Green top lock after getting one of the then new large woven plastic fertilizer bags around the blade on selecting reverse, fortunately for me he didn't make it, I was laid below waiting to go up, Gate held as well, sharp intake of breath

From recollection the working boatmen in the south called them "Blue Tops" at least that is what our Captain called them. They were almost universally disliked by the boatmen and trying to get the covers on in a wind would have defeated Goliath.

Edited by David Schweizer

A curiosity though not historic is Badger, for sale at Aqueduct Brokeridge.

We had it built in 1974 by CTS.

It must be fairly unusual in being designed and built around a Bolinder, ex Aster, ex Avon. When we bought the wreck of Rudd in 1979 we took it out again.

All metal now but still got my cabin fitting.

Tim

It must be fairly unusual in being designed and built around a Bolinder, ex Aster, ex Avon. When we bought the wreck of Rudd in 1979 we took it out again.

Tim

We looked at Badger a few years ago, at that time it was for sale at Ashwood Marina. It had good lines but didn't tick enough boxes for us.

Tim

Just had a quick look and it's listed as 'sold'.

Looks a bargain at £30k including a Russel Newbery DM2. I imagine it was slow to sell due to the deeply unfashionable 1/4" baseplate.

P.S. What happened to the Bollinder?

From the advert:

"Romford 281 is a beautiful, historic narrowboat built by Fellowes,Morton Clayton in 1913.

She has been rebuilt and renovated for living aboard or leisure use in 2008-10 and the hull re-plated all over. Brand new Shanks engine fitted 2013. Solar panels supply the domestic batteries with power.

Needs some love..."

482990_1.jpg?1469542386

It's hard to imagine a less sympathetic conversion. "Brand new Shanks engine fitted 2013"

Honestly WHAT is this owner thinking of?

And never mind the godawful cabin conversion.

No surprise it hasn't sold. The overplating alone must have wiped £10k off the value!

Only on Apollo Duck for a week and the price has dropped by £3k (were £58k and now £55k)

I spoke with the seller the day after being advertised last week and they are not prepared to sell these boats separately captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Only on Apollo Duck for a week and the price has dropped by £3k (were £58k and now £55k)

I spoke with the seller the day after being advertised last week and they are not prepared to sell these boats separately captain.gif

No they should stay together.

Why (in your opinion) should they stay together ?

Edited by pete harrison