Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, davidg said:

"The stern section is as true to the shape of an original small Woolwich as you can get, both above and below the waterline."

That's a bold claim.

It may also be true, since I think this is the back end of the original butty Achilles, now going backwards!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, davidg said:

"The stern section is as true to the shape of an original small Woolwich as you can get, both above and below the waterline."

That's a bold claim.

Not even close underwater,  no double curves just the usual modern  slab sided narrow boat arse end.

Pity really as Roger F is quite capable of building it correctly.

Maybe they meant the stem area not the stern area. 

Of course in this case the stem is a stern section as mentioned previously. I think they are referring to the front of the boat. 

I've seen the boat in the inner east London slums and must admit it is very nice but 80 grand? Really? 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a boat for sale but a booklet that might interest some historic vessel owners, especially those whose boat was once one of the fleet of British Waterways Hire Boats with "Water" something as their name.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394583107129?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=4923772b80f147a89de8f17927dee51c&bu=43208583113&osub=-1~1&crd=20230424114023&segname=11051

I have been after the corresponding booklet from the same year which covered the similar display of pleasure craft in Birmingham which featured Water Viper in its advertising for their new fleet of hire boats. Water Viper was Delhi. When this came through as a saved search from eBay I contacted the seller to ask if by any chance Water Viper was in it and he said not but there is a LOT of mention of various other "Water" named boats. 

If you have one and have any reason to believe it might have been in this exhibition it might be worth a message to the seller to ask if it is included in the book? 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, junior said:

Screenshot_20230603_161943_Facebook.jpg

Text of advert:

"70ft Oak canal boat, been out of the water 5 years. Boat is believed to be built in the 1940s. Purchased with the intention of renovation but change of circumstances forces sale. Boat is complete with Enfield Engine and hotchkiss propulsion system. Can’t guarantee fully working condition. This would be ideal to break down into oak lengths for multiple uses. Please Contact Rod on [hidden information] with enquires and viewings. Located Rednal near Oswestry Shropshire."

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/797960758223402/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&locale=en_GB

26 minutes ago, magnetman said:

This is one for the thread about the cones !

Yes, and for £1,200 an absolute bargain for someone wanting a cone drive. I wonder what the engine is.

Getting rid of the rest of the boat, not so easy though...

image.png.a1525eb976c1b4a7dca4f81cf4cebd2c.png

image.png.e7a174f82a888a55d48c9bf9b8203c99.png

image.png.4b81ec19fee5670f4bb371141ce4491d.png

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Advert says it is an Enfield engine.

Interesting boat to have a look at but one wonders about who owns the land and whether they remember the 5th of November. 

And previous threads suggested that Chance 2 was the last narrowboat with a Hotchkiss Come, and that had an Enfield engine. From other photos online the boat for sale today does appear to be Chance 2, but if anyone can confirm this it would be useful for posterity. It certainly looks like it is beyond saving now.

4 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

And previous threads suggested that Chance 2 was the last narrowboat with a Hotchkiss Come, and that had an Enfield engine. From other photos online the boat for sale today does appear to be Chance 2, but if anyone can confirm this it would be useful for posterity. It certainly looks like it is beyond saving now.

The seller clearly doesn't appreciate the cone drive is of any significance or value or he'd have mentioned a few more details and included some photos.

I wondered about painted articles inside the cabin. The interior photo doesn't give much away but there may be something. 

The cones are probably worthless scrap sadly but still interesting for posterity as mentioned. 

I did wonder if this was the boat that was moored at the bottom of Hurleston Locks for a good part of 2015 or 2016? I can't remember where it came from (Chester maybe?) but if it's currently in Wales I suppose it could have gone up the Welsh and never came back.

1 hour ago, John Brightley said:

When I had an exchange of  messages with the then owner of CHANCE 2 back in 2012, she reported it had both the Hotchkiss cone drive and an Enfield engine,  The possibility that there is more than one wooden narrow boat with both those features seems vanishingly small, so I think we can be confident it is CHANCE 2.

She was a Clayton's tar boat, I was told, and also worked for Chance & Hunt -  hence the name.  Apparently she was named VALENTINE at some point.

Interesting boat, but surely just to far gone?

22 hours ago, junior said:

I did wonder if this was the boat that was moored at the bottom of Hurleston Locks for a good part of 2015 or 2016? I can't remember where it came from (Chester maybe?) but if it's currently in Wales I suppose it could have gone up the Welsh and never came back.

If it is Chance 2 (and it appears to be), then previous threads said it was at Chester, then moved to Hurleston about the time you say, found it couldn't get up the Llangollen, was taken back to Nantwich and craned out there. 

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

If it is Chance 2 (and it appears to be), then previous threads said it was at Chester, then moved to Hurleston about the time you say, found it couldn't get up the Llangollen, was taken back to Nantwich and craned out there. 

I can confirm that this is chance 2 very sad to see her like this.

Yes she was an interesting boat not the easiest to steer especially on tight bends.

I cruised her from keynsham on the Avon to Watford Hertfordshire. 

• Greenie 1

On 25/04/2023 at 09:28, cheshire~rose said:

I have been after the corresponding booklet from the same year which covered the similar display of pleasure craft in Birmingham which featured Water Viper in its advertising for their new fleet of hire boats. Water Viper was Delhi. 

One of the Birmingham booklets is now for sale here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175758581192

• Greenie 1

On 25/04/2023 at 09:28, cheshire~rose said:

Not a boat for sale but a booklet that might interest some historic vessel owners, especially those whose boat was once one of the fleet of British Waterways Hire Boats with "Water" something as their name.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394583107129?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=4923772b80f147a89de8f17927dee51c&bu=43208583113&osub=-1~1&crd=20230424114023&segname=11051

I have been after the corresponding booklet from the same year which covered the similar display of pleasure craft in Birmingham which featured Water Viper in its advertising for their new fleet of hire boats. Water Viper was Delhi. When this came through as a saved search from eBay I contacted the seller to ask if by any chance Water Viper was in it and he said not but there is a LOT of mention of various other "Water" named boats. 

If you have one and have any reason to believe it might have been in this exhibition it might be worth a message to the seller to ask if it is included in the book? 

Report in June 1960 edition of the BWB magazine ‘waterways’. 

IMG_2077.jpeg

Edited by Tim Lewis