Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Given the boat in question I can well believe that actually.  Still, a blessing in disguise really as I'd be a very poor man had I bought it and done the required work...

Other S8 operators (Redhill and Sirius come to mind) are more straightforward, I bought my current project off one of them and it was pretty painless 

Do you mind saying which boat it was. You described it as historic which must have piqued a few peoples interest. 

26 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I believe CRT and BW before them, are reluctant to sell rough boats cheaply in case they go back in the water with a new owner and the whole cycle repeats itself, costing them even more money.

That makes a whole lot of sense and appears to fully explain why CRT seems to prefer to destroy low value boats, rather selling them.

Does anyone account for any historic boats that the CRT choose to cut up rather than sell? 

Value of boat is an interesting thing. Who is it doing the valuation? 

Tony Dunkley on the other side is convinced the CRT are behaving outside of their legal remit with S8/S13 boat removals and there is a slightly unpleasant smell about this if boats are being scrapped rather than sold on.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Do you mind saying which boat it was. You described it as historic which must have piqued a few peoples interest. 

I didn't want to distract from the actual topic of the thread as it was a bloomin controversial boat in need of massive amounts of work, but it was ex Thos. Clayton tanker Pearl (wooden) 

Was a few years ago, I imagine it sank too many times and they got fed up and chainsawed it to bits.

Once the current steel (nearly historic) boat is done then I will do a wooden one to make up for not saving it ; ) 

9 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

I didn't want to distract from the actual topic of the thread as it was a bloomin controversial boat in need of massive amounts of work, but it was ex Thos. Clayton tanker Pearl (wooden) 

I wondered if it might have been that one. 

The owner used to post the most unpleasant rants and diatribes on here about what bar stewards BW and CRT are, IIRC. I always got the feeling the boat was destroyed by CRT out of spite against the owner, whose name I have forgotten.

It was Pearlygeoff. 

Thread here https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/65512-nb-pearl/

29 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Was a few years ago, I imagine it sank too many times and they got fed up and chainsawed it to bits.

Once the current steel (nearly historic) boat is done then I will do a wooden one to make up for not saving it ; ) 

Ah. OK. I did wonder if it was a wooden boat. Makes more sense and less sinister now !

1 hour ago, harrybsmith said:

CRT broke it's back when they craned it out.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Tony Dunkley on the other side is convinced the CRT are behaving outside of their legal remit with S8/S13 boat removals and there is a slightly unpleasant smell about this if boats are being scrapped rather than sold on.

Really ?

Dunkley believes C&RT are acting outside their legal remit  😱

I'm shocked and stunned.

Rog

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Pearl at Middlewich 2007DSCF1702.JPG

Edited by Ray T

There was another wooden narrow boat used to be around Leighton Buzzard called POYLE. I think that one might have been S8'd as well. This was about 20 yars ago and wooden narrow boats are known to not last all that long if not very well maintained or expensively rebuilt. 

Discussed previously 

I can't remember it that well but I don't think POYLE was the TCO boat picutred above by @Ray T

I'm sure it was called POYLE but as this is also a place name (Near Slough?)  it may not have been the actual name of the boat. I think it was though.

Yes Poyle went the way of all old wooden boats, the gentleman who owned it sold to someone who was going to take it to Oxford, It wouldn't go up Napton so decided to head that way via Teddington and the Thames.

Unfortunately it got only as far as Kings Langley, sank, and it was trashed, it was abandoned, raised and towed to Watford where it broke in half when it was  lifted out.

I do have some pictures but they are a bit sad to look at.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

There was a converted narrowboat called Pearl, moored in Aylesbury Basin in the 1960's. It was owned by Binky Bush, who was one of the founders of the Narrowboat Owners Club. Is this the same boat?

No - Mr Bush's boat was a composite (I'm guessing it still was then) FMC steamer on which I travelled on one occasion!

5 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Don't think it would do a chainsaw much good trying to cut up a wooden boat........!

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, archie57 said:

No - Mr Bush's boat was a composite (I'm guessing it still was then) FMC steamer on which I travelled on one occasion!

If you are referring to the engine, it certainly was not a steamer in 1967. We met up at the Leicester IWA Festival where Binky was very proud of his "new" engine, which he claimed was the most powerfull engine fitted in a narrowboat at the time. The Festival Organizers were organizing Tug-o-war competitions and we challenged Pearl. Our boat, Pisces, pulled Pearl backwards along the entire length of the contest. What we had not told him was that Pisces had a 36HP V4 English Turner fitted, wich proved to be more powerfull than his 3 cylinder Bolinder.

10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If you are referring to the engine, it certainly was not a steamer in 1967. We met up at the Leicester IWA Festival where Binky was very proud of his "new" engine, which he claimed was the most powerfull engine fitted in a narrowboat at the time. The Festival Organizers were organizing Tug-o-war competitions and we challenged Pearl. Our boat, Pisces, pulled Pearl backwards along the entire length of the contest. What we had not told him was that Pisces had a 36HP V4 English Turner fitted, wich proved to be more powerfull than his 3 cylinder Bolinder.

I didn't mean to suggest it was still a steamer!  It was 1970 when I travelled with him from the bottom of Wolverhampton to Warwick via Norton Canes

Roger Alsop is correct. There's a lot more on PEARL (both of them, the ex Steamer formerly BARON & the TCO boat) in this older thread:

Also mention of POYLE, the wooden boat that was Beryl's home at the time (early eighties), and which was the 'Welcoming' boat in Aylesbury basin.

• Greenie 1

I definitely remember Equus being stuck solid in the lock by Venetion Marina on the Middlewich Branch sometime around 2014/15.

I don't know how they got it out again in the end or whether it had any remedial work to reduce it's widbut, but I doubt it very much.

6 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Roger Alsop is correct. There's a lot more on PEARL (both of them, the ex Steamer formerly BARON & the TCO boat) in this older thread:

Also mention of POYLE, the wooden boat that was Beryl's home at the time (early eighties), and which was the 'Welcoming' boat in Aylesbury basin.

POYLE  was  for many years in the late 70's and early 80's moored in Aylesbury  basin as home to Bob and Beverley and their youngster.  They drove a series of Morris Minors and 1000s, the engines from which tended to accumulate in the quieter corners of the car park, much to the irritation of the ACS committee.

N

43 minutes ago, junior said:

I definitely remember Equus being stuck solid in the lock by Venetion Marina on the Middlewich Branch sometime around 2014/15.

I don't know how they got it out again in the end or whether it had any remedial work to reduce it's widbut, but I doubt it very much.

I recall some incident after it was sold and moved north from West London so I’m glad you can remember that.

I think that’s Cholmondeston lock which I believe has always been - or least is/was for a mighty long time - narrower than others on the branch or indeed the Shroppie as a whole.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, BEngo said:

POYLE  was  for many years in the late 70's and early 80's moored in Aylesbury  basin as home to Bob and Beverley and their youngster.  They drove a series of Morris Minors and 1000s, the engines from which tended to accumulate in the quieter corners of the car park, much to the irritation of the ACS committee.

N

It then belonged to a chap called Stewart.  He'd filled the inside with a remarkable collection of re-cycled and up-cycled artefacts.  It was like a museum.  He kept it afloat with Fibrocem and, for an ancient wooden boat, it was cherished and looked after.  It was a common sight on the southern GU, but it disappeared probably twenty years ago.

5 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

Beverley! Where did I get Beryl from? Well, it starts with a B. (Poor excuse). Don't remember the Morris Minors, but I only appeared on the scene in '79.

10 minutes ago, merline said:

So when the vendor thought it was a genuine historic Woolwich he wanted £6k for it, but as a modern replica he wants £15k?