Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Not really historic as a 1979 build, but nevertheless more authentic than some older ex-working butties.

I seem to remember a photo in Waterways World some years ago of Phoebe at Horseshoe Falls on the Llangollen, the unloaded and unballasted boat having shallow enough draft to get over the gravel bar above Llangollen Basin that stops the rest of us doing the feeder section.

17 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Butty "Phoebe" for sale.  69',  Steel hull, timber fore and back cabins, back cabin fully fitted. 

Built in 1979 by Nigel Jackson,  used for maintenance work on the Macclesfield. 

Requires work to chine areas, priced accordingly at 6k.

IMG-20221220-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20221220-WA0002.jpg

is this advertised somewhere

1 hour ago, spud said:

1 hour ago, Feeby100 said:

What a lovely boat for that money 

47 minutes ago, MtB said:

Listing says SOLD now, 55 minutes later! 

Hardly a historic though is it, being built in 1971?

Yes, quite - it#s a "modern" boat.

Except it almost certainly still has a wood based superstructure, so probably no great bargain after all.

52 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Except it almost certainly still has a wood based superstructure, so probably no great bargain after all.

5955288.jpg

That certainly looks like a cabin made of wooden planking on wooden frames, which was Malcolm Braine's usual method when this boat was built. The planking would have been clad on the outside with masonite - basically a thick outdoor grade of hardboard, with aluminium d-section capping over the joints.

But the ad says the boat has wood lined steel front doors, and that it underwent a full modification, 240v upgrade, partial refit and full professional repaint 9 years ago. So my guess is that as part of that work the masonite was stripped off and the wooden cabin was clad in welded steel.

JAPONICA had that treatment, steel cladding over a wooden cabin.

The internal tongue and groove cabin sides in OTLEY do appear to have quite a lot of dark staining along the joints. This could be caused by water condensing onto the inside of a steel cladding, and soaking into the wooden panelling. The roof (deckhead for the nautical of mind) is painted white. I do wonder what may be hidden beneath the paint. Is this reflected in the asking price? Only a visit and/or survey will tell.

Someone likes it - Sold.

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Athy said:

An interesting boat, perhaps over[riced, but in the current market, who knows? Isn't Parsons a make of gearbox rather than of engine?

Parsons took base engines from other manufacturers and marinised them. In this case the Armstrong Siddeley AS2, which they marinised under the Parsons Merganser name. Most fully marinised AS engines will have the Parsons plate on, i think it's an AS2M stamp on it. Many others have taken industrial AS2s and marinised them but subtle differences make them stand out. They also used AS1 (Goosander) AS3 (Peregrine) and a Ford (Pike?) They also produced petrol paraffin models, the D4M I believe.

Kind regards

Dan

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Parsons took base engines from other manufacturers and marinised them. In this case the Armstrong Siddeley AS2, which they marinised under the Parsons Merganser name. Most fully marinised AS engines will have the Parsons plate on, i think it's an AS2M stamp on it. Many others have taken industrial AS2s and marinised them but subtle differences make them stand out. They also used AS1 (Goosander) AS3 (Peregrine) and a Ford (Pike?) They also produced petrol paraffin models, the D4M I believe.

Kind regards

Dan

Excellent info. .Did they also make gearboxes?

3 hours ago, Admiral said:

Unusual Yarwoods. Says it was a station boat called Clyde 

70ft Yarwoods

I think the weird cabin shape might put people off.

7167675.jpg

The FR4 is a nice looking engine, but too big really. It retains its butty stern and rudder with hydraulic drive, but appears to be a conventional stern tube arrangement with anti cavitation plates rather than the hydraulic motor being mounted in the rudder.

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think the weird cabin shape might put people off.

7167675.jpg

The FR4 is a nice looking engine, but too big really. It retains its butty stern and rudder with hydraulic drive, but appears to be a conventional stern tube arrangement with anti cavitation plates rather than the hydraulic motor being mounted in the rudder.

I find it a rather charming boat, with that weird semi-clerestory cabin roof. 

I'd be tempted buy it but for that over-ambitious asking price of £58k. Get real! 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I find it a rather charming boat, with that weird semi-clerestory cabin roof. 

I'd be tempted buy it but for that over-ambitious asking price of £58k. Get real! 

They could have decluttered for the photos.Also done something about the rust