Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Unlike the Apollo Duck advert, (so far not amended), this one shows a pairing with Mallard, (i.e. not Greenfinch).

:offtopic:In the image taken at Linslade, (where it appears as Wyvern Shipping's Elizabeth, is anybody able to positively identify the Middle Northwich icebreaker/tug, please?  I'm sure it is either Sickle or Theophilus, and am pretty confident it is Theophilus rather that Sickle.  I would dearly like evidence that proves that, though.

It's close. Both THEOPHILUS and SICKLE have the riveted on support bracket for the blade in exactly the same place. Both had the rocking bar fixed to a plate on the front engine room bulkhead that was raised above the roof. TYCHO and SEXTANS were fixed below the roof line directly against the bulkhead.

But the images I have of Alf Best steering SICKLE show an air intake in front of the pigeon box - facing forward. But when was that arrangement fitted?

I would plump for THEOPHILUS.

32 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

With Cabin top in 2012

theo.jpg

It does seem like an act of historic vandalism to have cut that beautiful cabin off, then leave the hull out on the hard standing to rot in the weather.

Or has work on it now commenced?

12 hours ago, Derek R. said:

But the images I have of Alf Best steering SICKLE show an air intake in front of the pigeon box - facing forward. But when was that arrangement fitted?

I doubt it would have had the vent whilst fitted with a Russel Newbery engine, those being water cooled, of course.

The first air cooled engine fitted would have been the Armstrong Siddeley "Peregrine", (i.r.AS3), fitted in January 1957, this being replaced in turn by several 3 cylinder Listers.

The photo showing the icebreaker, alongside Wyvern's Heather Belle and Elizabeth has to be from the mid 1950s, as they did not have Elizabeth long, (from memory limited to about 1954 to 1956, but I'd need to check).  if it was Sickle in the photo, (which I doubt), it would still have had the Russel Newbery.

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

It does seem like an act of historic vandalism to have cut that beautiful cabin off, then leave the hull out on the hard standing to rot in the weather.

Or has work on it now commenced?

Whilst it has clearly had at least a good covering of paint shortly before Tim's photo, I'm fairly certain it was pretty life expired when the current owner swapped it for a replacement boat.

Whilst mos of the cabin dates from its hire boat days, the forward part is a later addition, boxing in over the former well deck.

Here is a hire boat view, though this looks like its sister "Hesperus", (actually GUCCCo "Sextans"

image.jpeg.726a0071fe6e31fdc3186f5da35cc933.jpeg

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I doubt it would have had the vent whilst fitted with a Russel Newbery engine, those being water cooled, of course.

The first air cooled engine fitted would have been the Armstrong Siddeley "Peregrine", (i.r.AS3), fitted in January 1957, this being replaced in turn by several 3 cylinder Listers.

The photo showing the icebreaker, alongside Wyvern's Heather Belle and Elizabeth has to be from the mid 1950s, as they did not have Elizabeth long, (from memory limited to about 1954 to 1956, but I'd need to check).  if it was Sickle in the photo, (which I doubt), it would still have had the Russel Newbery.

The dates will be the defining factors as well as knowing what engines were in at the time. Were the RN engines fitted with central exhausts? and in front of the pigeon box?

Ice boat cropped.jpg

On 02/10/2022 at 15:51, merline said:

Speaking of which - one from my own collection, sorry - can't remember the year.

I think the knitting session was disturbed.

IMG_20221003_0001.jpg.fb64a3f395af14b77b5331bc22c35f96.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

48 minutes ago, Ray T said:

:offtopic:A bit of light relief - you're barred.

Great adverts, thanks!! Never seen them, not having a telly.

Puts me in mind of the (related) joke: 

William Shakespeare walks into a pub and asks for a pint of ale. The landlord says "NO!! You're BARD".

I'll get me coat....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Beer was only 1/11 where I used to drink

And I was under age 😱

I remember getting banned from my local when my mates all bought me a pint. The Landlord asked what the occasion was, I said it was my 18th birthday and he blew up in a rage and threw me out, as I'd been drinking in there for best part of a year (since passing my driving test actually!)  In those days rather like now, underage drinking it wasn't regarded as a heinous offence by the perpetrators, but latterly I realise I must have been putting his license at risk and him at risk of prosecution for not checking my age. 

18 minutes ago, TimYoung said:

In 1972, in Leeman Road Working Men's Club  in York, beer was 9 1/2P a pint.

One could be quite ill for a £1. I was there!

1968/9

£1 a week pocket money:

Take girlfriend to cinema

Put petrol in my bike to last the week

Down the pub for a few beers.

Tell that to the youngsters and they look at you in disbelief 🥱

22 minutes ago, Loddon said:

1968/9

£1 a week pocket money:

Take girlfriend to cinema

Put petrol in my bike to last the week

Down the pub for a few beers.

Tell that to the youngsters and they look at you in disbelief 🥱

... cardboard box in t' middle o't road ... 

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

I can remember on a BCN Society working party when I was aged 17, buying a lunchtime pint of lager for the eleven year old who was with us. He was precocious for his age and his parents were very liberal, but even so...

There is a famous story from PFCS days when the working party was getting ready for the 100 boat Rally in Manchester Piccadilly.  The WP had retired to the pub (The Crown Hotel on Deansgate, central Manchester) for the evening, the landlady approached my sister (aged 14 at the time) and asked her to keep young Kelly (aged 11) in the back room rather than chatting with the customers at the bar. This happened when she had gone to the bar to get the round in. She duly came back with Chris and the beers, and told us grown ups? (I was just 18) in the back room the story. - how times have changed. He had gone to help carry the beers back.