Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

A boat grasping the straws of history. Barely. Precious little to 'save', and enormous expense to correct the ample errors of judgement carried out over the years.

Doubtless DIWE & BWB made use of it for a while, but the back end; fore end; and that entire cabin have sealed its fate. I see NBOC have it as originally being built as a 'motor' as early as 1907? Yet as DRUNKEN DUCK a build date as 1924. It's clearly had a tortured life. Or should that be 'torchered'?

Does not look much like a Lister engine to me either.  If it was 1938 I would expect either CE or JP.  Both have variable compression and I cannot see the wheels to  change it.  Nor does the rocker cover look right.

Any ideas? Key start Bolinder?  1958 not 1938?

N

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

Thats  not an FM&C stern.

Odd boat. Wrong bow and wrong stern. Maybe the bit in the middle is original?

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 19-28-47 Fuels - Higher and Lower Calorific Values.png

I’ve just been looking at this, and the back does actually appear to be original. Under the rear porthole you can see the ends of the original guards, the top guard and a short length of the counter bottom guard below it. The guard that now goes around the counter is a newer one, the top line of which follows the line of the bottom of the old one. If you zoom it you can see the pitting which would have been behind the old guard, and you can also see where the rivet holes have been welded up. You can also see the top of a plate welded on to increase the depth of the counter ( and thus decrease the draft ) which has changed the overall look of the counter.

• Greenie 2

It is indeed Hazel. Due some serious planking work I think. When mum and dad raised her at Trent Lock in 1993 there were some soft planks then which were still evident when we looked at her at Pigeons Lock about ten years ago. Tenner they're still there 

3 hours ago, stagedamager said:

It is indeed Hazel. Due some serious planking work I think. When mum and dad raised her at Trent Lock in 1993 there were some soft planks then which were still evident when we looked at her at Pigeons Lock about ten years ago. Tenner they're still there 

I too remember Hazel at Pigeon's Lock for months, but this was only five or six years ago. I seem to remember seeing about a four foot section of the hull being cut away amidships on one side by someone to get an Aga or similar out of the boat. Or that may have been a dream as there seems to be no evidence of this in the photos. 

Or maybe that was the other Hazel. There are two wooden Hazels IIRC.

Just now, MtB said:

I too remember Hazel at Pigeon's Lock for months, but this was only five or six years ago. I seem to remember seeing about a four foot section of the hull being cut away amidships on one side by someone to get an Aga or similar out of the boat. Or that may have been a dream as there seems to be no evidence of this in the photos. 

Or maybe that was the other Hazel. There are two wooden Hazels IIRC.

I think that was on the Lee and Stort and was Big Ricky Taunton??

3 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I think that was on the Lee and Stort and was Big Ricky Taunton??

No I've never been there. I was hanging around the southern Oxford a lot about six years ago and remember repeatedly passing Hazel CMing on the VMs just below Pigeons. Then one day there was a big hole in the cabin side with the top two hull planks sawn out too. 

Having looked at the photos I'm convinced this must have been a dream as there is no evidence there now. Unless the photos are more than six years old. The boat looked a right mess back then too, just like in the photos. 

53 minutes ago, MtB said:

No I've never been there. I was hanging around the southern Oxford a lot about six years ago and remember repeatedly passing Hazel CMing on the VMs just below Pigeons. Then one day there was a big hole in the cabin side with the top two hull planks sawn out too. 

Having looked at the photos I'm convinced this must have been a dream as there is no evidence there now. Unless the photos are more than six years old. The boat looked a right mess back then too, just like in the photos. 

I'm fairly certain that 6 years ago Hazel was already out of water at Clifton Cruisers.  I'm not great with the passage of time, but I'd say it has been there 7, or possibly even 8 years.

We ate meal with its owners, who had ambitious plans, and seemed to be realistic and practical, not dreamers.  A shame it didn't work out.

I'm sure that when we saw it then that it had not been butchered to liberate an Aga, or similar.

As already stated this is the Samuel Barlows Nurser built Hazel, quite different from the one that has been put back in action by the Wooden Canal Boat Society, on the Ashton.

Amongst its very varied history it was actually a hire boat for Wyvern Shipping Company in the early 1970s.

2 hours ago, merline said:

Unlike the Apollo Duck advert, (so far not amended), this one shows a pairing with Mallard, (i.e. not Greenfinch).

:offtopic:In the image taken at Linslade, (where it appears as Wyvern Shipping's Elizabeth, is anybody able to positively identify the Middle Northwich icebreaker/tug, please?  I'm sure it is either Sickle or Theophilus, and am pretty confident it is Theophilus rather that Sickle.  I would dearly like evidence that proves that, though.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Unlike the Apollo Duck advert, (so far not amended), this one shows a pairing with Mallard, (i.e. not Greenfinch).

:offtopic:In the image taken at Linslade, (where it appears as Wyvern Shipping's Elizabeth, is anybody able to positively identify the Middle Northwich icebreaker/tug, please?  I'm sure it is either Sickle or Theophilus, and am pretty confident it is Theophilus rather that Sickle.  I would dearly like evidence that proves that, though.

Theophilus worked as a hire boat for Wyvern for some years, only lost its hire cabin top around 2015 at Glascote.