Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 25/09/2022 at 18:15, alan_fincher said:

Yes, correct!  Butty Kestrel is the only example I can think of for a boat renamed by Willow Wren as a bird, but not a water bird.

What about the wideboat Pullett, which is some kind of chicken;  or Wagtail which is a ground habiting bird;  then there is Bunting, unless the name is a shortened form of Common Reed Bunting, which isn't actually a water bird, although it does often nest in or near marshy areas. I am also unsure about Warbler but there are several visiting Warblers, which aren't actually water birds but with water associations in their name eg. Reed Warbler, Marsh Warbler etc.

Sits back and awaits ridicule from the ornitholigists. 😁

Edited by David Schweizer

18 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

What about Pullett, which I think is some kind of chicken, formery Sabey & Co wide tug Antelope;   Wagtail which is a ground habiting bird, (formerly FMC Freda).; then there is Bunting (formerly GUCC Dudley) unless the name is a shortened form of Common Reed Bunting, which isn't actually a water bird, although it does often nest in or near marshy areas.  am also unsure about Warbler (formerly GUCCC Libra), but there are several visiting Warblers, which aren't actually water birds but with water associations in their name eg. Reed Warbler, Marsh Warbler etc.

Sits back and ridicule from the ornitholigists. 😁

I guess more pertinently  can anybody produce any evidence that any Willow Wren motor was ever called Greenfinch?

I've certainly never heard of it, and doubt it appears in any published Willow Wren fleet list.

Nor can it be a mistake For Greenshank, as that was a butty, not a motor.

From a scan of images, Kestrel, (aka Triagulum and Elizabeth) , can be seen to have worked with Rail, Swan & Tern

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I guess more pertinently  can anybody produce any evidence that any Willow Wren motor was ever called Greenfinch?

I've certainly never heard of it, and doubt it appears in any published Willow Wren fleet list.

Nor can it be a mistake For Greenshank, as that was a butty, not a motor.

From a scan of images, Kestrel, (aka Triagulum and Elizabeth) , can be seen to have worked with Rail, Swan & Tern

Certainly no Greenfinch from any of my books/photos.  Rail, Swan & Tern the only three I have photo evidence of working with Kestrel.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Amongst the Wagtails there is a Water Wagtail, and a Pullet is a young hen, as in female chicken.

A regional name for the Pied Wagtail which is not really a waterbird, but one which is sometimes seen near water where it feedso n flies etc.

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

A regional name for the Pied Wagtail which is not really a waterbird, but one which is sometimes seen near water where it feedso n flies etc.

I guess you could say it's a 'regional' title when many Wagtails frequent areas of water. Pied; Yellow; Grey; Water. They are largely insectivors, and insects are found near and in water.

And how about Willow Wren? Which is a misnomer, as it generally is referred to as the Willow Warbler.

I think Willow Wren - the company - most likely chose birds that had an affinity to water, rather than strict and direct associations with water. Dipper definitely, and Mallard? Not so much Kestrel maybe. The Wagtail can also be found frequenting motorway service area car parks, where they scavenge for small morsels of cast off crumbs from the less edible fodder available for humans - the Car Park Wagtail.

We have some in the farmyard. Alway bugs there.  😉

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/water-wagtail

10 hours ago, Steve Priest said:

Simon, Rex and I didn’t form Brinklow Boat Services until 1997,  Kestrel was restored by the Warwickshire Flyboat Company, when the three of us still worked there. The steelwork was done by myself, and unless I am very much mistaken, the cabin was fitted out by Don Donnelly, subsequently grained and decorated by myself.

C15329B2-84C4-4F99-8EC4-0DAB259655DC.jpeg

I am guessing there are about 500 rivets in that cabin

9 minutes ago, NB Watersnail said:

Impressive that the seller can't actually spell the name of the boat!

Edited by alan_fincher

Thats  not an FM&C stern.

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

At that price it might be worth buying to get one of the first division boatbuilders to put a proper Josher bow and cabin on it.

Odd boat. Wrong bow and wrong stern. Maybe the bit in the middle is original?

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 19-28-47 Fuels - Higher and Lower Calorific Values.png

Edited by magnetman