Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MtB said:

THWACK...!!!

(Thwacking is what we do on another forum, when someone posts something already said, ideally one post previously like you've just done ;) )

Well there you go, I had a look and came up with several years ago.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well there you go, I had a look and came up with several years ago.

The post immediately before yours is about LYNX.

The post by Graham Robinson. There is even a photo of LYNX in the post! ;)

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

There are 10 of 'em according to Jim Shead! 

Maybe only three look like they might be historics tho...

There are two listed on the Historic Narrow Boat Club site, although the butty was converted in to two boats, Lynx and Lynx End.

23 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There are two listed on the Historic Narrow Boat Club site, although the butty was converted in to two boats, Lynx and Lynx End.

Ah now, I was counting the Springer as a 'Historic" because in my mind, they qualify.

18 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

629026957_LYNX(foreendof)Gen107.jpg.7cd149452aac884f2882bd927e4f9323.jpg

Well, that was taken about 35yrs ago. Looks nice there.

Back then I doubt anybody envisaged it would over time become a very rare example of a "semi trad"ex working boat.

Did David ever actually carry with Lynx, or was the signwriting for effect only?

21 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

629026957_LYNX(foreendof)Gen107.jpg.7cd149452aac884f2882bd927e4f9323.jpg

Well, that was taken about 35yrs ago. Looks nice there.

I sold Lynx to David Daines around 1982 (I think). I did a deal with a friend who'd had her converted to the format shown here, albeit she had a different livery then. He took a GM tug I owned, called Valiant, in exchange. I was always lead to believe that the steelwork had been done by Ted at Norbury. She had a blocked counter, making her look too tall at the stern, but the upside to that was that she drew nothing and went anywhere, also she was probably the fastest of all the old ones I've had. I think David did something about the appearance of that height by painting the lower counter round black and ballasting her down somewhat. I seem to remember she was one of the straightest Grand Unions I'd had, too. Or, one of the least clattered around and with few dings in her.

17 hours ago, MtB said:

THWACK...!!!

(Thwacking is what we do on another forum, when someone posts something already said, ideally one post previously like you've just done ;) )

My driving instructor used to do it to my knuckles with a ruler if I got the colour of the car being wrong when he placed his hand over the mirror (no wing mirrors as standard in those days) and asked me. Also for wrongly answering what the last road sign I passed etc.

Excellent instructor, focussed my mind on observing things, which is the key to safe driving.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Excellent instructor, focussed my mind on observing things, which is the key to safe driving.

Observation, anticipation, consideration. Three golden rules taught by Bob Spence, driving instructor London Transport Country Buses and Green Line Coaches. Two Waters garage, Hemel Hempstead.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Did David ever actually carry with Lynx, or was the signwriting for effect only?

Yes he did.  If you ask him he'll regale you with an epic journey he once took with a load of bricks.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't recall he ever carried, [I see koukouvagia has answered in the positive] but you would have to ask him. He went on with CEDAR & CYPRUS (or is it CYPRESS? Can't remember off hand).

Edited by Derek R.

Price negotiable - this is a low price for a QUICK SALE - SOLD AS SEEN.
70ft historic wooden-hulled narrow boat, 'Benevolence', currently moored opposite St. Edward's School on the canal in North Oxford. The mooring is an Agenda 21 mooring and can be passed on to the new owners.
Wooden-hulled boats are not for the faint-hearted - they need constant care and attention - and lots of money. However, for the right buyer this could be a wonderful boat in an ideal location. This is an opportunity to purchase a residence in Oxford for a fraction of the cost of an affordable home in the area. Could be a beautiful restoration project for someone with an interest in historic boats, but equally could be updated.
Boat safety certificate outstanding - work needs to be done such as replacement of log burner, but we're out of funds so unable to complete the work.
I am managing any enquiries on owner's behalf due to her difficult personal circumstances. Quick sale preferred as the funds are needed elsewhere and after 22 years of ownership it's time to pass her on to a new owner who has the time, skills and funds to look after and enjoy her.
Please DM me if you would like further information or to arrange a viewing. Only serious enquiries please.
Video from 2019 - https://youtu.be/HS-jLdI6fZo
#narrowboat #oxford #narrowboatforsale #houseforsaleoxford #boatforsale

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:
Price negotiable - this is a low price for a QUICK SALE - SOLD AS SEEN.
70ft historic wooden-hulled narrow boat, 'Benevolence', currently moored opposite St. Edward's School on the canal in North Oxford. The mooring is an Agenda 21 mooring and can be passed on to the new owners.
Wooden-hulled boats are not for the faint-hearted - they need constant care and attention - and lots of money. However, for the right buyer this could be a wonderful boat in an ideal location. This is an opportunity to purchase a residence in Oxford for a fraction of the cost of an affordable home in the area. Could be a beautiful restoration project for someone with an interest in historic boats, but equally could be updated.
Boat safety certificate outstanding - work needs to be done such as replacement of log burner, but we're out of funds so unable to complete the work.
I am managing any enquiries on owner's behalf due to her difficult personal circumstances. Quick sale preferred as the funds are needed elsewhere and after 22 years of ownership it's time to pass her on to a new owner who has the time, skills and funds to look after and enjoy her.
Please DM me if you would like further information or to arrange a viewing. Only serious enquiries please.
Video from 2019 - https://youtu.be/HS-jLdI6fZo
#narrowboat #oxford #narrowboatforsale #houseforsaleoxford #boatforsale

I seem to recall seeing posts where the seller was reluctant to have the boat moved for a survey........

28 minutes ago, spud said:

Badsey has been for sale since what seems like the dawn of time. But at £58k looks like he is serious about selling it now. 

29 minutes ago, spud said:

Drives me nuts when there is no picture of the engine or engine room! 

I run the website for a canal related organisation. I've been contacted and asked to help advertise the sale of the Benvolence, built by Nursers of Braunston in 1938. I have no connection with the seller, and have suggested Apollo Duck but also said I'd post here.

Facebook marketplace link:    https://m.facebook.com/groups/292859678589451/permalink/761203775088370/?comment_id=761209028421178&notif_t=group_comment&notif_id=1659277361018517&ref=m_notif

Photos: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPg_RLx-ap1JwuwFP4Bfp1g9Qj4ZxrJeJtuoF2k51mrxv58_tDC2CpsozkM8eYvrw?pli=1&key=WmJxdTdSNkEtOWJqaktjMXR1TzFNSDBQTG1PbmNB

10 hours ago, spud said:

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Drives me nuts when there is no picture of the engine or engine room!

Worse than that, I can't even easily work out where the engine is located...

At the very back, as in the original build of the boat ?

Or forward of a back cabin, as in the usual arrangement for a working boat?

As I think no mention seems to be made of back cabin, I suspect it is the first of these.

If so, I think standing in the hatch immediately above an HR2 might prove to be a bit much.

Either way, tough, no way is it worth £90K!

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Worse than that, I can't even easily work out where the engine is located...

At the very back, as in the original build of the boat ?

Or forward of a back cabin, as in the usual arrangement for a working boat?

As I think no mention seems to be made of back cabin, I suspect it is the first of these.

If so, I think standing in the hatch immediately above an HR2 might prove to be a bit much.

Either way, tough, no way is it worth £90K!

One of the views is looking out of the stern doors through a traditional(ish) back cabin arrangement and has the engine control linkage visible along the ceiling suggesting an amidship engine room.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

One of the views is looking out of the stern doors through a traditional(ish) back cabin arrangement and has the engine control linkage visible along the ceiling suggesting an amidship engine room.

Its position is suggested by the open side door in a typical "mid engine room" position. There's what looks like a stubby "tich pipe" chimney, but no sign of exhaust smoke coming out of it.