Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Lion was Malcolm Braine's boat in 1962 when i first saw it .  45 ft in length. I beleive it was lengthened in two stages.  I think WW did a feature with John Saxon when he owned the boat.

It looks like a FM&C josher bow rather than a Yarwoods station boat bow. 

I know Yarwoods built for FM&C but from the description it seems to have been a Birmingham based horse boat in the Midlands and Coast fleet. 

Edited by magnetman

10 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Yes, 'The North' is the same boat as John Saxon's 'Lion', which I remember in the Coventry area in the 70's and '80's. And yes, it was blue when John owned it, but I wouldn't describe it as BW blue, it was a slightly darker blue that I remember.

From Waterways World January 1977.

John Saxon on Lion.

John Saxon on Lion .jpg

• Greenie 1

On 22/05/2022 at 14:28, zenataomm said:

my 1969 ex Stone Hire Boat is historical, yet in order to describe it as historic I'd need to align it to an event in that year.

It's old enough to be on the Historic Ship's Register, so close enough for me.  It's always baffled me that a registered historic narrowboat isn't allowed out to play by the HNBC when they don't insist on original, unconverted pre-1965 carrying boats.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Not at ex-working boat, but at over 50 years old it's verging on historic, and comes from a pedigree builder. And it's powered by a Lister JP1.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334473992850

Beautifully shaped hull. It will have been re-cabined in steel to dent it's historic credentials but the JP1 is appealing.

Not that I'm going to buy it because I've already got one.

That's one of the first narrow boats I saw and thought "NICE".  Would have been about 1993 somewhere around Uzbekistan (ETA this should have read Uxbridge but the autocorrect got in there) just before I got my first narrow boat. The second boat I owned was built in the black country by GM Engineering (Tony Gregory). I do like that sort of narrow boat. Proper item. 

The boat advertised had a shorter cabin back then. Tug style with a foredeck. Looked lovely like that. 

Never knew what the engine was but it did sound interesting. 

Nice boat for someone. Quite old but very nice. CTS did some cool boats. 

1/4 plate all round (not the cabin) so probably wants some sorting or someone who doesn't mind 3rd party insurance and a bit of light risk taking..

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

That's one of the first narrow boats I saw and thought "NICE".  Would have been about 1993 somewhere around Uzbekistan (ETA this should have read Uxbridge but the autocorrect got in there) just before I got my first narrow boat. The second boat I owned was built in the black country by GM Engineering (Tony Gregory). I do like that sort of narrow boat. Proper item. 

The boat advertised had a shorter cabin back then. Tug style with a foredeck. Looked lovely like that. 

Never knew what the engine was but it did sound interesting. 

Nice boat for someone. Quite old but very nice. CTS did some cool boats. 

1/4 plate all round (not the cabin) so probably wants some sorting or someone who doesn't mind 3rd party insurance and a bit of light risk taking..

Possibly built as 35' with a timber cabin, 1/4" baseplate and 3/8" side plates. Plus I'll guess the JP1 wasn't the original engine.

ETA - 3/8" should have said 3/16"

Edited by Captain Pegg

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Not at ex-working boat, but at over 50 years old it's verging on historic, and comes from a pedigree builder. And it's powered by a Lister JP1.

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334473992850

Nice little boat, i saw the interior of the hull a few years ago and all looked clean with the broad original keelson running along the centre. I did a top end rebuild on the JP, a nice engine. 

On 07/06/2022 at 19:25, Tim Lewis said:

Not sure if already mentioned, but THE NORTH is now price reduced.

https://www.hnbc.org.uk/boats/north

I've not noticed it before, but what is going on with the counter/uxter plate?

Seems to be "skirted", (downward extension to reduce draught), and if so, almost certainly because of Malcolm Braine associations.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/07/2022 at 21:22, John Brightley said:

A Yarwoods boat - though the ad doesn't say the name, the photo suggests it might be Gorse (ex Water Lupin) ? Can anyone confirm ?

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/yarwoods-57-traditional-for-sale/705077

6228630.jpg.9f1bd54748843f01cb15ac84627a31df.jpg

Seems to have disappeared already- quick sale or withdrawn?

• 2 weeks later...