Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think it probably reflects the fact that there are only ever about three people in the market to buy a historic at any given time, and none of the three in the market now want anything quite as weird as these two.

Are they that weird?

I guess you could have some Hudson stick on rivets added for a more "authentic" feel.

21 hours ago, merline said:

A boat I've admired for it's shapely lines,  but unfortunately I'd guess won't sell through a crap advert like that.

"Converted from a barge" ? You'd expect a more accurate,  detailed description for what is a rare and interesting boat. 

• Greenie 1

On 16/05/2022 at 21:37, Phoenix_V said:

There is a smaller one (38m) built in 1952  moored   in Thuin (Belgium) which has been turned into a museum. The cabin is a symphony in polished dark wood. 2 bedrooms and saloon but no bathroom definitely historic.

P1020068.JPG

P1020070.JPG

P1020072.JPG

Mention of Thuin takes me back to 1979 and Belgium, Thuin was one of the town’s I studied and included in my degree dissertation.

• Greenie 1

On 16/05/2022 at 17:56, Tonka said:

A sweet little boat, with a lovely engine.

9 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

No

Is the wrong answer! Hire boats work for their living - a point made more than once by a CWDF member who owns or owned an ex-hire craft.

Barney boats are excellent. Great underwater shape so very economical. If I were to do widespread canal cruising again one of them would be near the top of the list as the ideal boat. 

Getting a bit old now and I think they were built in 3/16 plate so not all that thick but very nice anyway. 

38 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Is a mid 80's Springer that sells bacon sarnies and cups of tea a working boat then?

Or a new boat that takes people out on helmsman courses? 

You must decide for yourself - though the former is now possibly old enough to qualify as "historic",

It is, however, indisputable that hire boats are working boats. They travel carrying loads for commercial gain, although these loads are of people rather than of coal.

That doesn't mwan that I'd rather see a parade of ABC 57-footers than a parade of ex-GUCCC boats at a rally, of course.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

You must decide for yourself - though the former is now possibly old enough to qualify as "historic",

It is, however, indisputable that hire boats are working boats. They travel carrying loads for commercial gain, although these loads are of people rather than of coal.

That doesn't mwan that I'd rather see a parade of ABC 57-footers than a parade of ex-GUCCC boats at a rally, of course.

But joshers were the ford transits of their day. Can you imagine people starring at transits in 10 years?

15 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

But joshers were the ford transits of their day. Can you imagine people starring at transits in 10 years?

Have you been to a classic commercial vehicle show lately?

• Greenie 3

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Have you been to a classic commercial vehicle show lately?

Mark One Trannies surrounded by ageing ex-rock group members reminiscing all dewy-eyed?

"Remember that we played the Marquee, and so many other groups came to see us, you couldn't get near the place for all the parked Transit vans".

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Is the wrong answer! Hire boats work for their living - a point made more than once by a CWDF member who owns or owned an ex-hire craft.

I thought they were always on holiday... 🤣😂

• Greenie 1

It seems to me people are trying to re-invent the wheel here.

We already have perfectly good terminology to describe all the boats being discussed without attempting to cross fertilise them or blur the lines (perhaps for the sake of boosting their appeal at point of sale)

Long distance narrow boats carried cargoes (not people) and they required a Commercial Licence (triangular in shape).  They were registered as domiciles with the relevant Health Authorities, with all that entails.

Boats let out for Holiday Hire and Day Hire require to meet all of the criteria as outlined by Waterways, apart from needing more stringent safety certificates they require a Hire Boat Licence.  Which is not a Commercial Licence, but more in aligned to a business or traders' licence.  The requirements include such pertinent clauses as a relevant mooring, car parking for hirers and ability to attend breakdowns within a timely manner. 

They are two totally different animals.

A Long Distance narrow boat could be used as a holiday or day hire boat.  However anyone planning to chuck 22 tons of Household into a Hancock & Lane should advertise it widely.  I for one would pay good money to observe that.

You can't make lemonade by squashing tomatoes even though they both grow off branches.

I've got to shoot now as I'm due down town in ten minutes, luckily my Grand Prix similar Transit is just outside.  I raced it once around a car park.

Back in the early 80s I had a pair of Woolwich and went through the rigmarole of commercial licenses.  I now own a 1969 Stone Boat Building ex hire craft.

It might be getting close to historical but it's not ex-commercial.

Ex-hire boats - 'historic'?

Any motor vehicle over 40yrs old can be officially classified as 'historic', whether it carried commodities or people.

A hire boat could be called a working boat, as it earned income for its owner. Same can be said for a hire car - "It's an ex-Hertz!" But I doubt it would make it any more desirable to own or drive.

Lot of fuss over not very much.

15 hours ago, zenataomm said:

We already have perfectly good terminology to describe all the boats being discussed without attempting to cross fertilise them or blur the lines (perhaps for the sake of boosting their appeal at point of sale)

Long distance narrow boats carried cargoes (not people) and they required a Commercial Licence (triangular in shape).  They were registered as domiciles with the relevant Health Authorities, with all that entails.

Boats let out for Holiday Hire and Day Hire require to meet all of the criteria as outlined by Waterways, apart from needing more stringent safety certificates they require a Hire Boat Licence.  Which is not a Commercial Licence, but more in aligned to a business or traders' licence.  The requirements include such pertinent clauses as a relevant mooring, car parking for hirers and ability to attend breakdowns within a timely manner. 

A Long Distance narrow boat could be used as a holiday or day hire boat.  However anyone planning to chuck 22 tons of Household into a Hancock & Lane should advertise it widely.  I for one would pay good money to observe that.

You can't make lemonade by squashing tomatoes even though they both grow off branches.

I've got to shoot now as I'm due down town in ten minutes, luckily my Grand Prix similar Transit is just outside.  I raced it once around a car park.

Back in the early 80s I had a pair of Woolwich and went through the rigmarole of commercial licenses.  I now own a 1969 Stone Boat Building ex hire craft.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/influx/blog/ford-transit-supervan-1/

16 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I think there are issues with definitions. It runs the risk of disappearing into hair-splitting but:

'Historic' is defined by age.

'Long distance cargo-carrying boat operating in the modern era' is defined as you have specified - registered domicile and commercial licence.

The difficulty is whether there is any clear definition with regard to 'working' or not. There are a whole load of types of boat which are historic but were not long distance cargo carrying. For example, joeys were not long-distance and were not registered domiciles but definitely carried cargo; tugs were not long distance, did not carry cargo although they did transport it and were not registered domiciles. Any boat sold out of commercial operation pre-nationalisation would never have carried a commercial licence, take for example a SU fleet boat which operated its entire existence on their own network and hence had no licence or gauging at all. You then have other types of boat (ice-boats, spoon dredgers etc) which were for maintenance so were not used in cargo carrying at all. The term 'working boat' is therefore necessarily a very loose one which could include hire boats unless/until the definition is formalised otherwise.

Alec

On 20/05/2022 at 12:05, Athy said:

The point raised was that old hire boats are or will be eligible to take part in the Braunston Parade, inferring that they would be invited to participate in the Braunston Historic Boat Rally, held at the end of June.

I think you'd all better take that up with the organisers. This is a privately organised event, based around a privately owned marina and boatyard, and I think I know what their answer would be!

34 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

The point raised was that old hire boats are or will be eligible to take part in the Braunston Parade, inferring that they would be invited to participate in the Braunston Historic Boat Rally, held at the end of June.

I think you'd all better take that up with the organisers. This is a privately organised event, based around a privately owned marina and boatyard, and I think I know what their answer would be!

I don't see how any 50-year-old boat could be stopped from joining in and taking part in the rally, or any boat of any age actually.