Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 14/05/2022 at 12:34, Phoenix_V said:

Well, it's from 1958, at which time n/bs were still being built, so I'd say that it qualifies.

It isa pity that it's for sale becuse the company operating it has gone into liquidation.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Well, it's from 1958, at which time n/bs were still being built, so I'd say that it qualifies.

It isa pity that it's for sale becuse the company operating it has gone into liquidation.

There is a smaller one (38m) built in 1952  moored   in Thuin (Belgium) which has been turned into a museum. The cabin is a symphony in polished dark wood. 2 bedrooms and saloon but no bathroom definitely historic.

P1020068.JPG

P1020070.JPG

P1020072.JPG

Edited by Phoenix_V
  • Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

That bit about the Braunston Historic Show is tosh. But why only £20k I wonder?

30 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

That bit about the Braunston Historic Show is tosh. But why only £20k I wonder?

From the advert...

"its wooden top is in solid condition. "

Yeah right, just like all the others! 

56 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

That bit about the Braunston Historic Show is tosh.

Yes and no.  It clearly isn't a working boat, so isn't eligible for the show even when it is 50 years old. But there's nothing to stop it joining the parade. There's usually one or two ordinary leisure boats get caught up in the procession - some fume about being held up, others delight in the mayhem!

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

There is a smaller one (38m) built in 1952  moored   in Thuin (Belgium) which has been turned into a museum. The cabin is a symphony in polished dark wood. 2 bedrooms and saloon but no bathroom definitely historic.

P1020068.JPG

P1020070.JPG

P1020072.JPG

Off topic but Thuin is a real boatman’s town with many retired skippers and we have always been very welcome there. Many Belgian barges are registered there but most are 2 big to get up this part of the Sambre which has 38m locks.

08805009-5AFC-4877-8BE6-CC0945F25260.jpeg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

From the advert...

"its wooden top is in solid condition. "

Yeah right, just like all the others! 

I didn't read the advert. Just looked at the pictures. 😳

Even so, isn't £20k about the mark at which if you're lucky you can buy a boat that floats?

There was one of those Airborne Lifeboats in Rickmansworth about 20 years ago. Moored opposite the farm just below Stockers Lock. Bloke called Stephan and his other half lived on it. Intriguing boat it was. Don't know what happened to it but I have an idea it was sold for scrap. 

Possibly same boat.

Edited by magnetman

49 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There was one of those Airborne Lifeboats in Rickmansworth about 20 years ago. Moored opposite the farm just below Stockers Lock. Bloke called Stephan and his other half lived on it. Intriguing boat it was. Don't know what happened to it but I have an idea it was sold for scrap. 

Possibly same boat.

Would this be the thing -- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294978494647

I am hugely tempted - a lot of boat and history for really very little money

picture for when the eBay ad ends...

image.png.4760911c486b92d09ddbeb2cc4d0b156.png

Yes. Sorry I missed out a page on the forum. This item was posted earlier in the thread. 

It would be a great boat for electric conversion. I reckon it would be very efficient. 

• Greenie 1

It looks seriously groovy in this picture but from the ad detail suspect it has deteriorated. 

The Tohatsu needs to go in favour of an electric pod motor. IMG_20220517_074024.jpg.7706e8ca39ae612e5442ff6498bdd86e.jpg

Not sure on roof width for solar but if one could get a kilowatt on there it be a great craft for swanning up and down the river in the summer. 

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/saunders-roe-watson-lifeboat-for-sale/675698

It does say "all aluminium" but there seems to be a lot of wood around. If the gunnels and cabin are indeed aluminium it's quite interesting. Had assumed wooden cabin but maybe not. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

It does say "all aluminium" but there seems to be a lot of wood around. If the gunnels and cabin are indeed aluminium it's quite interesting. Had assumed wooden cabin but maybe not.

The superstructure is predominantly aluminium. I have been in touch with the seller and seen a couple of photos of the boat before her first(?) resto...

Would certainly raise an eyebrow or two at the Henley Trad Boat Rally...

10 hours ago, magnetman said:

Possibly same boat.

If I remember correctly there is one in the Flixton Aircraft Museum  Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum

Given how few of them were built, It seems a strange co-incidence that Apollo Duck lists two of the Severn & Canal Carrying Charles Hill built "Tree" class motors offered for sale at the same time.  Both are converted, one is shortened.

The differences in prices hoped for by their owners though is staggering.

You can have the full length Pine for  under £35K

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/683836

But the 55 foot long Fir, (also once Bridget), would set you back £90K

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/655585

I know which one I'd be going to view!

38 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Given how few of them were built, It seems a strange co-incidence that Apollo Duck lists two of the Severn & Canal Carrying Charles Hill built "Tree" class motors offered for sale at the same time.  Both are converted, one is shortened.

The differences in prices hoped for by their owners though is staggering.

You can have the full length Pine for  under £35K

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/683836

But the 55 foot long Fir, (also once Bridget), would set you back £90K

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/655585

I know which one I'd be going to view!

Both Pine and Fir have been drastically reduced in price since they were first offered for sale.  Fir has dropped from £125K to £90K and Pine has dropped from £42,950 to £34,950.

Does this mean that the imminent recession is having a marked effect on historic boat prices?

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Must have been a life-saver for some down'd crews.

Not so sure about this one though . . .

1055155762_ArmyLaunch0022(Medium).JPG.3a3f573426558669845e1f12a8c86622.JPG

Looks like an ex NATO air transportable tug. Big Deutz engine and a heavy duty Scottel rotating drive unit with no rudder. Interesting boat is it for sale? 

I think that one is at Dorney by the Eton rowing lakes. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

Fir has dropped from £125K to £90K and Pine has dropped from £42,950 to £34,950.

Does this mean that the imminent recession is having a marked effect on historic boat prices?

.... or just trees?

2 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Must have been a life-saver for some down'd crews.

Not so sure about this one though . . .

1055155762_ArmyLaunch0022(Medium).JPG.3a3f573426558669845e1f12a8c86622.JPG

Could be ideal for The Caldon, with those wheels.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

The Army/NATO launch - took the image years ago, can't remember where from. It may have been parked up in the gravel pit marina below Widewater. I feel certain it's an image I took, maybe 12 - 15yrs ago. I seem to recall mooching around the bits and pieces while TYCHO was being sign written.

I'll have a look this weekend and see if it's the one at Dorney. They have fenced off the rowing lakes but I think it's still open during the day. 

The one there may have been blue but I definitely remember the one with the wheels. Did not link it to Harefield marina but it might be there. 

A lot of heavy duty ageing hardware can make a boat less desirable. 

Looking at the airborne lifeboat it seems to have some gear under the hull which would make it considerably less efficient through the water. 

Perhaps there is a reasonable reason it was found in a scrapyard. 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Both Pine and Fir have been drastically reduced in price since they were first offered for sale.  Fir has dropped from £125K to £90K and Pine has dropped from £42,950 to £34,950.

I think it probably reflects the fact that there are only ever about three people in the market to buy a historic at any given time, and none of the three in the market now want anything quite as weird as these two.